A NEW Day of Gratitude and Love

Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

sorry you are really battling this bug, Critter! When I am sick I feel so vulnerable and just hate feeling helpless as only mother nature can get you back to where you once felt good again!

(Zone 1)

Gail: I have a Nematanthus out on my deck that has mealies too! I usually just take q-tips and rubbing alcohol to kill the little buggers! This plant is not all that pretty - it's been neglected, needs cutting back and re-potting, so I don't know if I'm going to bother with it. LOL, I probably will though, cause I would feel so guilty to just let the poor thing die!

Critter: Glad you went to the Doctor and hope you get over this flu and lung infection real soon!

Thumbnail by plantladylin
Kennebunk, ME(Zone 5a)

Lin, yours looks like a columnea and a VERY pretty one indeed. These are VERY prone to mealies along with aescatanthus but worth the time with a bit of alcohol. I also use a VERY dilute squirt of ortho when I water and it helps alot.
Wow that is pretty Lin!
It could be a Nematanthus as I can't see the flower real closely but in that picture it's looking more of a "dolphin" shape than a "guppy" shape so that would be a columnea :)

(Zone 1)

LOL Kim ... you are correct - it's not the nematanthus, it is columnea! I have a nematanthus too but the stems are more woody and the leaves teeny and more succulent like (I think). I need to pay better attention to my plants! I know I have nematanthus somewhere out there in my mess!

Lubbock, TX(Zone 7a)

Kim- I agree with you that Lin's is Columnea & Gail's is Nematanthus- it's all in the flowers. The Nematanthus are difficult for me for some reason but not all the other ones, such as the columneas, aeschynanthus,etc. I think Nem. needs more humidity.

Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

Mine is getting plenty of humidity ..........it is dry now but normally we have 90+ % humidity.......am sure Lin does, too.

Lin, that Bayer's Advanced Tree and Shrub does wonders for hoyas and everything to get rid of mealy bugs. But the plant is not supposed to be wet i don't think so I may have to use alcohol for now. Don't throw away.....even if you just keep some of it and start all over........

Lubbock, TX(Zone 7a)

Well,sorry! I had typed in my message and the phone rang. When I was through talking, I just hit send and I see it had already been figured out!

Lubbock, TX(Zone 7a)

Kim- I would love to get a Salmon Sunset from you rather than from a nursery!I 'll know the one from you was grown with love!

Wild Rose- I love your kitties! I used to have a mixed silver tabby/siamese tha tthey remind of. She was so beautiful and loving. Someone else must have thought so too as she disapeared without a trace! SO sad!

Janet- What is your Red Dragon? Other than gorgeous of course! LOL

Gail- you didn't have to look far to find beauitful blooms, did you? LOL Need to check my crown-of-thorns to see if it's blooming. Mine isn't that pretty pink color yours is though! Nice begonias too>>>why do mine like to lose they're leaves in winter?

I love Amaryllis too. My Vera is just finishing blooming and I'm waiting for Appleblossom and Hercules to open .

(Zone 1)

I love all of your plants Gail ... all Beautiful! I gotta look up that Jatropha! I wonder if it will grow down here in Florida?

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

*sighing with zone envy* everything grows in Florida! Except tulips. And lingonberries. :-)

Lubbock, TX(Zone 7a)

I never thought of that- Do Floridians ever fake the vernalization for Hyacinths and Tulips etc? Or is there so much else you can do that you don't even mess with those?

Edited cuz I can't type as fast as I think so I leave words out!

This message was edited Jan 3, 2008 5:57 PM

(Zone 1)

Nope, No Hyacinths or Tulips this far south ... too warm! I think up in the panhandle area they can grow them!

:) I go up to North Georgia and sigh and drool at some of the things my sister can grow there, that won't grow down here!

Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

It is am Amaryllis, sorry I didn't put that in the post...lol I was so disappointed it didn't take a better picture! It is a double red with a little white edging that you really can't see too well...It is actually called Double Dragon...here is a link that shows the flower much better than my picture...but mine really looks just like this one! Honestly!
http://www.dutchbulbs.com/store/amaryllis/doubleamaryllis/15205

(Zone 1)

Janet: Your photo of Amaryllis 'Double Dragon' is Gorgeous! I actually like the looks of your photo better than the one at the dutch bulbs link! The shading in your photo is really pretty. If that plant is in Plant Files you should add your photo there!

Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

Lin, jatrophas would do great there! I sent one to Ardesia and it is growing fine. The reds are easy for me to find but the baby pink one is now being propagated by Johnson's in Ingleside. When spring comes I just send you one. They don't care about wind, heat or special care.

I do grow mine in pots as I don't like to wait until June for blooms as my brother has his in the ground. They do come back faithfully but in my pots I have blooms almost year round.
I have tried and tried to propagate and can't but am determined this summer to get babies.

The nuseries I know who propagate them all say they have some secret rooting powder. Maybe in the summer time they will root easier.

Thumbnail by gessiegail
Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

Here is the one called 'Baby Pink'
I have a full picture of her but can't find it right now

Thumbnail by gessiegail
(Zone 1)

Baby Pink is pretty but I Love that red one! Do they have thorns?? I do not like plants with thorns and I was thinking that I remembered someone saying Jatropa's had thorns? Do they like full sun or shady conditions? Your brother has one in the ground? I'm assuming cold weather doesn't bother them? How big would they get planted in the ground?

Listen to me with all these questions! I need to go read about them!

Danville, VA(Zone 7a)

This is the first ok maybe second time today I got to sit down but I wanted to say that Lin sent me AV's plants a couple months back and I told her I would kill them as I alway do... Well as some of you know one bloomed for me and NOW i am happy to say I see buds on another one..... Doing the happy dance... I am going to take pictures now of what is blooming in my house and be back in a little... Any body have any suggestions for a sick looking Christmas cactus?
Hugs,
Susan
Ps... Welcome back Kim :-) Did you get any sleep today? or did you stay up all night?
Also Kim(dimmer) is back from her vacation and I yelled at her yesterday as I was worried she was not back yet... Low and behold I got my call today... See what a crazy lady yelling into a phone will do...LOLOLOLOL poor Kim.... Gotta love me..

Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

Lin, this is good that you like the red one as I can readily find them here. They will take any and all the sun you want to give them. They also bloom profusely. Jimmy's plant is about 8 feet tall after 7 years in the ground, but they freeze back to the ground and then have to come out all over again for him.

I just protect mine a little bit and they are ready to bloom profusely the minute I put them outside in March.

Danville, VA(Zone 7a)

I love all the pictures .... Also the kitties...LOL Ok I am going to send pictures now and most I do not know the name of but what the heck....LOL Always me no names...LOLOL
This first pictures are all the men in my life :-)
Hugs,
Susan

Thumbnail by TurtleChi
Danville, VA(Zone 7a)

This is a geranium I grew from a cutting when Gail told me to try diffrent things... Well it bloomed... It is almost dead now but I am sure it will do great outside in the summer....LOL
Susan

Thumbnail by TurtleChi
Danville, VA(Zone 7a)

These are two AV I picked up at Lowes and hey I have not killed them yet...LOLOLOL
Susan

Thumbnail by TurtleChi
Danville, VA(Zone 7a)

This is my P. Onion... This bloom is about 3 or 4 feet long.... I was thrilled to see this come.... I got this from a lady at a swap where I met Jill....
Susan

Thumbnail by TurtleChi
Danville, VA(Zone 7a)

This is my dessert Rose....Not a good picture sorry... If I am boring you all let me know ok????
Susan

Thumbnail by TurtleChi
Danville, VA(Zone 7a)

These are the little Av's that Lin was kind enough to send to me and I told her I would kill them but I guess they are liking me as they are living and another one is going to bloom for me...YEAH...
Susan

Thumbnail by TurtleChi
Danville, VA(Zone 7a)

This is a new begonia I got a couple weeks back and it now is blooming a nice white bloom...
Susan

Thumbnail by TurtleChi
Danville, VA(Zone 7a)

Now this is my hindu rope and I just love this one...
Susan

Thumbnail by TurtleChi
Danville, VA(Zone 7a)

These little fellows have kept me going when times were bad here... They are the cutest little flowers.. they are an ox something...LOL
Susan

Thumbnail by TurtleChi
Danville, VA(Zone 7a)

This is my new guy... He is Fred... He has the craps and I feel for the little guy... He is loaded with worms and we are doing all we can to get them OUT... poor little fellow.... I love him so much already....
Susan

Thumbnail by TurtleChi
Danville, VA(Zone 7a)

This is a passion flora called Sunburst.... I can't believe this is blooming in my house... It is so tiny but so cute... It smells wonderful...
Susan

Thumbnail by TurtleChi
Danville, VA(Zone 7a)

Now ladies I am almost done here...LOLOL Have I drove many away yet???? I have wanted to post so much today but this is the first I could so..... Last one...
These are passion flowers I have grown from seeds... Hard to believe I grew these but I did.... I am very proud of this...
Susan

Thumbnail by TurtleChi
Danville, VA(Zone 7a)

Ok so I lied... these are the newest little seeds coming up...
Susan

Thumbnail by TurtleChi
Danville, VA(Zone 7a)

Wow I am tired now...LOLOLOL
Susan

(Zone 1)

Wow! Susan, Really Great Growing! I'm loving all the pic's and descriptions of your plants! My next door neighbors grow Passiflora's In their backyard, but I've never tried one. I must look for them if they are fragrant! I know different varieties are host plants for certain butterflies cause my neighbors vines get eaten every year by catepillars! But they sure are pretty when blooming.

What is that growing in the glass jar next to the pretty pink geranium? Love your Hindu Rope Hoya! I have one but it's not nearly as pretty as yours! I have that same purple oxalis with the little pink flowers! That has bloomed on and off all year. Mine is in little pots sitting out on the pool deck under a potted palm tree. I wonder if it will survive this cold spell we've been having?

Oh, Fred is a cutie! Poor fella ... hope he feels better real soon! He picked the right family to adopt! He is one lucky kitty!

Danville, VA(Zone 7a)

They are AV's leaves that I believe you or Gail sent me... They have nice roots but no babies yet...
Poor Fred... He has had the poops now for 2 weeks.... We have wormed him two times already and my boss(the Vet) tells me he is ok and gaining pleanty of weight so not to worry but I hate it for him... He only weight 1.7 when we got him and this week at work he weight in at 4.7 so the poops are not hurting him but I feel for the little guy... I am going to send a picture and it is not a good one of her but this little lady is my heart... I have many animals and I love them all but this little lady is mine...LOL She was very sick about two months ago and we thought she may not live or have brain damage from the high fever and the convulson(sp really bad)LOL... But she pulled by like a trooper... I picked up a smoke for the first time in 17 years and am still puffing away... I will stop here soon but my head is not in the right mind as of yet... but I will do it....
Thanks for likeing my flowers and plants... Also for sending me the AV... I always say I hate AV's but I love those little plants you sent... You also sent me a varigated one and I am hopeing soon she will bloom for me... The one that is going to bloom next looks like there are two of them in the pot so maybe after it blooms I will try to seperate them...
Hugs,
Susan..
This is Rosa.. and her new coat...LOL

Thumbnail by TurtleChi
Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

susan, no wonder you wanted to post!! Your pics are great and you actually grew a cutting of geranium that bloomed for you. I have never had a passion vine and you have one blooming in your house........amazing and all the little baby ones growing.

I might be knocking at your door for one of those little passion vines from seed. You are really having a good time with success. Congratulations!
gail

PS Lin always has something to give!! My favorite (not only plants) but gifts have come from Lin. The sign she sent hangs right with all my crosses the kids have given me through the years. Let me find the picture. It is toooooo good not to show!

I hope you can read it!

Thumbnail by gessiegail
Danville, VA(Zone 7a)

I sure can Gail... Yes Lin and you and others have been very good to me... Lin has sent me TONS of things... She is a keeper...
I have never seen a sign like that but if I ever do it is coming home with me... That is great...
Gail you can knock on the door anytime and have anything you want my dear... I bought 6 passion vines in Sept I believe plus I have two diffrent ones outside that come up... I have one that I think died from me bringing it in but Hey I met this lady named GAIL and she said plant,plant, plant... try, try try..... Well Gail I rooted the one I loved the most... It has beautiful orange flowers... Let me see if I can find a pictures of her... She is beautiful.... I also have red ones for this coming summer... I was told the seeds are very hard to grow... Well they have been doing great for me.... And yes I grew that geranium from a cutting... See I did take in some of what you told me...LOL I know that this is no biggie for some but I also grew a coleus from a leaf... I am now trying a begonia and another geranium but this time from a leaf.... time will tell....
I found the orange passion flower....
Hugs,
Susan

Thumbnail by TurtleChi
Danville, VA(Zone 7a)

I made everyone go to bed... BOO HOOOOO
Susan

Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

No you didn't.....it just gets a little quieter at this time of evening...lol your pictures were great...thanks for sharing! Good looking group of MEN too!

Lubbock, TX(Zone 7a)

Very envious of that Passion Flower bloom!! I keep threatening to get a Passion FLower. Some of them are hardy for me.
Gail I love your Jatrophas! I've never seen the pink one before. I've had the red flowered one in a pot but killed it quick. Maybe just didn't try hard enough on it. Mine was J. multifida. I have the Buddha Belly one-podagrica and it is SO cute. It just bloomed and bloomed!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.