Can we start now . . . please!

Rockaway, NJ(Zone 6a)

Heh. I'm worse. I'd call the animal pound and have the dogs picked up as strays when they were on my land.

Let the owners learn the lesson...

Oh, and Seandor, my hubby's STILL laughing at me because when he asked what I wanted for Xmas, I replied "a couple of bags of s---."

I don't know if he'll ever recover from that surprise - once he stopped thinking I was joking, he's been teasing me incessantly. :D

-Sev

This message was edited Dec 21, 2007 6:00 PM

Springfield, MA(Zone 6a)

Well, it would be the truth . . . and possibly effective!

Pittsburg, MO(Zone 6b)

Hey Sev, send your husband here, I have a field full of s... he can have for free. He just can't have whats in the barn and corral. I have dibs on that.

Springfield, MA(Zone 6a)

Can I ask a stupid question? I am Canadian and I have no idea to what state MO refers . . . but it must be someplace with winter - where do you live Robynest?

Fredericksburg, VA(Zone 7b)

MO is Missouri I believe.........this new abbreviation system makes me stop and think. And they do have winter there...LOL

Pittsburg, MO(Zone 6b)

Missouri. It's not a stupid question. My to be daughter-in-law is Canadian. It took her a couple of years to figure out we aren't by Texas. Right smack dab in the middle of the USA. We usually have mild winters, sometimes it can be bad but not to often.

St. Louis County, MO(Zone 5a)

While it was 50 degrees today, we still have piles of snow melting from last weekend. Missouri's weather changes every few days most of the year, freezing weather again starting tomorrow.

Springfield, MA(Zone 6a)

Well, I am zone 6a and we have about 15 inches of snow! Last year we didn't even have freezing weather until the middle of January . . . Gee I wonder how this will affect winter sowing? I just put my containers I made today on the front veranda, but should they be buried in the snow?

Pittsburg, MO(Zone 6b)

We hit 62 and they are talking snow again geeez.

Pittsburg, MO(Zone 6b)

Snow will help them. They need that cold so they can germinate properly. Plus the nitrogen in the snow helps feed them.

Springfield, MA(Zone 6a)

62! You lucky dog!

Springfield, MA(Zone 6a)

Man! That means I have to get dressed and move stuff to the snow . . . well, maybe I will get to it tomorrow.

Rockaway, NJ(Zone 6a)

Robyn, I would, but he works late regularly - no time to trek out there. Maybe we could mail it? LOL

Oh, he's going to laugh even harder, and I'm going to get in so much trouble - doesn't the PO make noise if you ship poo?

-Sev

Pittsburg, MO(Zone 6b)

You should look up how poo got the name s..., it's a very interesting story.

Okay, I've decided tomorrow is the day I start my first 4 milk jugs: Bachelor Button, Purple Coneflower, Coreopsis (tickseed) and 6 seeds of spider flower (cloeme). I received 12 seeds so I'm going to try half of them now. The morning weather is supposed to be nice, by bedtime back into the 20s. Crossing my fingers!

Saint Cloud, MN(Zone 4b)

Hi all, I know I am a bit colder then most-but have a look at my journal and see what I have been up to :o)

Lots of winter sowing going on-some are tried and true-others are just a test for our new database.

I think I have over 100 types in by now...LOL

I couldn't wait either!!!

Ashdown, AR(Zone 8a)

I just sewed paw-paws,hackberry,indian pinks and great solomon's seal in the greenhouse. I scattered poppies and larkspurs in the flowerbeds a week or so ago.

I'll be sewing more in the greenhouse after Christmas.

Robyn,
I feel for ya. I had a kiddy pool sitting outside with surplus aquatic plants in it one year. My neighbors SEVEN dogs came over and destoryed quite a few.It was summer,they were taking a dip and having a pool -side lunch,I guess.When I went over and told him he scolled the dogs like childred...yeah,like that was gonna do any good.

My neighbor's cats got into the greenhouse one year and rolled in my pots of catnip.That was kind of funny because it really didn't kill the plants..just smooshed them. B&E by "cat" burglers...LOL

P

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

My Santa(s) have bought me some wonderful presents that I didn't want, like expensive fancy clothes, jewelry, etc. Been there, done that. There is a pricey $$$ name cashmere twin sweater set still in the box under my bed from several years ago. Never been worn, tags still on. I hate any wool- it's itchy. I want COTTON clothes. Now I give them lists of suggestions, and often I get them.

These have included ProMix, garden tools, compost and worm books, compost thermometer, etc. This year's list has a circle hoe, timer for the hose faucet, Steeler sweatshirt, warm pajamas, ... These are things I WANT and WILL ACTUALLY USE.

Karen

Whitsett, NC(Zone 8a)

I asked "Santa" for a wheelbarrow. DH asked what I would do with one . . . I said to him - Do you know how hard it is to carry dirt all over?

I'd sell that cashmere sweater set on ebay.

Chewelah, WA(Zone 5a)

Ooooooh I needed this thread this morning! Got a laugh out of the frozen potting soil--had the same problem a couple of years ago. I got the last bag at the feed store and it was a solid rock and they thought I was crazy. :-) I really gotta get my poppy seeds going; I have a ton of them if anyone needs/wants some. This will be my first year *deliberately* doing winter sowing.....any suggestions for good candidates?

woofie, I'd love some poppy seeds, may I send you a SASE? This is my first year so I don't have trades yet. Tks, Cathy4

Athens, PA(Zone 5b)

I LOVE THIS THREAD☺♥

Ok! Here I go, off to plantfiles instead of grocery shopping☻

Chewelah, WA(Zone 5a)

Cathy4, sure, as SASE would be fine. I'm in the address exchange. These are papaver somniferum; I've had some of them get close to 5 feet tall. I really like them, but they never want to grow where I WANT them to grow.

Springfield, MA(Zone 6a)

You know what buying soil does? It makes me far more discriminating in what I actually sow - can't waste expensive soil on whims . . . .

But I really do want to plant them all . . .

Pittsburg, MO(Zone 6b)

cathy4, if you want some seeds for winter sowing or springtime sowing, send me 3 stamps and I will send you a bubble enve full of seeds. My address is in the exchange.

Pittsburg, MO(Zone 6b)

For thoses of you who need a little help of which seeds can be sown check out the lists that are being sent in for a W/S swap http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/795796/

There is a pretty good selection of easy to sow kinds.

Fredericksburg, VA(Zone 7b)

I had DGD help me set up hyacinths and daffodils for forcing this afternoon. She didn't really understand, she's only 4, but it's going to be interesting to see what she thinks when they start to bloom in the Jan/Feb. We did one pot just for her Mama. LOL

Long Island, NY(Zone 6b)

Cathy - I too have some seed that I can share. If you want to send me 3 stamps, I too can ship a bubble envelope to you. My address is in the exchange too.

Anita

Wow, you are all so nice! I'll have to make a run to the post office for stamps, it will be next week before I can get a ride. Thank you!

Long Island, NY(Zone 6b)

Just pass it forward. :)

Pittsburg, MO(Zone 6b)

There's plenty of winter left so no worry.

I love pass it forward.

Garner, NC(Zone 7b)

I just wanted to chime in here and let you know that I have been lurking on this thread and became infected by all of your excitement...I have decided to try this this winter. Never have I even collected seeds from my own plants. But now, you should see me. Completely gone. Just caught myself dissecting agastache pods under a magnifiying light with a craft knife...All your faults, you know:-)
Bev

Chewelah, WA(Zone 5a)

I know, I know! I'm trying to figure out how I'm going to get to my pots through all the snow that has turned into ice, let alone chip chunks off my bag of potting soil. So many seeds, so little time..........

lol, you are one sick person Bev, welcome to the club! I was just out freezing my beejeebers off planting the last of the hundreds of bulbs I ordered in a moment of insanity. These last ones went into any part of the garden I could dig into. Found some happy worms under the chopped leaves, that's a good sign.

Garner, NC(Zone 7b)

Thanks for acknowledging my sickness:-) It seemed to have come on suddenly. I'm laughing cathy thinking of you planting bulbs. I just did that a few weekends ago. Gee, we've had some unseasonably warm weather, but nah...I waited until it was windy and freezy.
'Course I don't know why I'd laugh at anyone...I collected my seeds in my pj bottoms... from the backyard at least, not out in front! Yep red pjs with polar bears on them:->>
And, have not finished all the shopping/wrapping thing, either. Avoidance is a pain!

Springfield, MA(Zone 6a)

Good lord! people are still planting bulbs. Gee, if I had known I would have taken advantage of all those end of season bulb sales . . . Ah well, I will know better next year - besides, I will have a better idea where to plant them :-)

North West, OH(Zone 5b)

Wow you guys are awesome. I am still shoping, wrapping, and cooking. Sowing seeds? Oh my goodness I could not add one more thing to the mix without going completely insane.

But just wait 'till the holidays are over. ;-)
Muahahahahaha.

Cathy (or any newbies lurking) if you still need seeds shoot me a D-Mail.

La

Rockaway, NJ(Zone 6a)

Shopping - hah! I let Amazon do that for me. *wicked grin* I ordered all my presents from one place so I wouldn't have to go out in the nasty crowds. Wrapping? Well, we didn't want to pay Amazon _that_ much, so yeah... I'm doing that.

I'm also making a total mess of my kitchen on a regular basis. The mop just doesn't clean all that mud up - I clean it off the counters and wait for it to dry so I can _sweep_ it up! LOL

Hubby thinks I'm nuts - I go through the day making the kitchen a disaster, and then clean it all up at night. He asked me what the point was.

I told him if he wants melons, he'd better put up with my dirt.

He laughed and shut up. *grin*
I now have three types of melons outside, as well as cherries and a few berries!

-Sev

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.