Plant Pots ?

Alfred, ME(Zone 4a)

Hi, I'm new to this forum and to houseplants. Have a lot of rooted cuttings and some plants in 4" pots. Have read Al's posting on soil and use it on my outdoor container plants with great results.
What do I use for pots for houseplants as far as the watering end is concerned ?

A pot w/ no holes ?

A pot w/ holes and a dish under ?

Any advantage to the "self watering " type pots that wick up water as they dry ?

I am not fussy bout whether they are plastic or clay. Would prefer plastic due to the breakage factor.

Indoor plants are all new to me and from reading here I can see as in other DG forums I have come to the right folks. Thanks in advance for any info, kdcon

Hermitage, TN

greetings.

Always, indoors, or out, use pots with drainage holes. type of pots doesn't matter so much. I have a few in clay pots and many in plastic. clay pots tend to dry out a little faster than plastic, but otherwise there isn't much difference.
I mostly plant in plastic, then put that in a more decorative container with no drainage holes. I put those clear plastic saucers under the planted plastic pot inside the decorative container.

I've been experimenting with some of the self watering containers... so far they seem to be working just fine. I have a few african violets in those ceramic pots that self water, and they seem to be thriving. I think with self watering, it depends on the plants used. Some plants do better with this method than others.

in the end I think aesthetics plays as large a role as anything. use what you like, what works, and what looks best in your home.

Lubbock, TX(Zone 7a)

Hi
For my 2cents worth:
I try to always use pots with drainage, but ocassionally have found pots w/o that I planted directly into. I just choose plants that aren't picky about the salt etc. build-up in the soil as there can be no leaching! And watch my watering to not over-water. Anything that needs more moisture I wouldn't put in a clay pot because of porosity- drys out quicker. As for the self-watering pots- Most important to be noted for me is not putting too much water in the bottom. Too high of water level makes it keep the soil too moist therefore can rot the plant. Assuming you're talking about the pots that have the porous inserts and not the wicking ones.....
Anyway as I said that's my 2cents worth of opinion!
Diane

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

I would never put a plant in a pot without a drainage hole unless it was a bog/pond plant. If you have a pretty pot that you like and it doesn't have a hole (and you don't want to drill one) what I'll do sometimes is use it as a cache pot...put the plant in a plain plastic pot with drainage holes that's slightly smaller than the pretty pot, then plop the plastic pot into the pretty pot. When you water, make sure you empty out any water that drains into the pretty pot so the plant's not sitting in water all the time.

Alfred, ME(Zone 4a)

Thanks All for the fast replies. Love the idea of a pot w/ holes into one without. Only thing wrong w/ that is I did not think of it.
I have a lot of hanging pots of all sizes. Will just seal up the bottom of some & put a smaller nursery pot inside. This is going to work so much better than a drain pan on the floor under the pot.
Great, wonderfull, now I have a direction, thanks again, kdcon

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.