Question - on houseplants

Lindsay, OK(Zone 7a)

Can I have Japanese Holly Fern and Brazilian Rock Rose - they are outside now... but I am looking at moving to Oklahoma 7a - can these be raised like house plants?

(Zone 1)

I think Japanese Holly Fern could be grown as a houseplant: http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/1649/

All I could find on Brazilian Rock Rose is that it is a perennial http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/71817/ but I don't know if it will survive in the house year round. You might be able to grow it in a container in the house over winter and then could put the container outside during the summer months. Hopefully someone more familiar with this plant will come along soon and give you some advice.

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

I have this plant (Cistus) in a container and am growing it on as a bonsai candidate. One, I've had for several years (5?) and they over-winter well for me in my basement under fluorescents. Cultural keys are warm enough temps, good light & humidity, and a free draining soil. I would estimate the difficulty of keeping it growing with good vitality indoors to be approximately the same as Coleus would be.

Al

Saint James, MO(Zone 6b)

My Japanese Holly Fern is suppose to be Hardy for my area, and it is still doing well here in zone 6. I have it planted with Korean Rock Fern, which is also suppose to be hardy for here, and it is doing well also.

Lindsay, OK(Zone 7a)

Thank you - so the holly fern can live outside.. misty I love that...

tapla - great news so in and out with warm temps it should be fine... Thank You!!! Love it. Mitch

Saint James, MO(Zone 6b)

If it is the same one I have, then I would imagine if you have it in the ground it should be ok. Especially since you are in a warmer climate than here. I will try to think to check on mine later to see what it is doing, but I know last I checked it was still green even after all the days and nights down in the 20's! :)

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

Mitch--I'm not sure that you and tapla are talking about the same plant. He's talking about Cistus which has the common name Rock Rose, but I think your Brazilian Rock Rose is a Pavonia species instead.

Lindsay, OK(Zone 7a)

ohhh.... yep... Pavonia so ecrane what do you think about Pavonia - just a normal one... found at the zoo and borrowed some seeds... kinda one of my babies...

SW, WI(Zone 4b)

I grew Pavonia *multiflora* indoors for several years in a south window.
It did really well there, without much trouble and even bloomed occasionally.

Unfortunately, it's one of the many plants lost when my son was ill, so I no longer have it.

The fern can definitely grow indoors, too, but it prefers a rather cool location, and pretty bright light (mine is in an east window). It does get a bit 'ratty' during the winter, but bounces right back in the late spring when taken outdoors.

This message was edited Dec 14, 2007 12:38 PM

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

I only have experience with Pavonia multiflora which I grew outdoors in a pot. I've never grown any other Pavonias and I never had P. multiflora inside the house--I just knew that Brazilian Rock Rose was a Pavonia rather than a Cistus so I wanted to make sure you were getting advice on the right plant.

Lindsay, OK(Zone 7a)

Thanks - I am going to try - better to try and fail then never to have tried and wish right?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.