They are eating more than my kids.aargh

Gulfport, MS(Zone 8a)

i discovered today a horrendous amount of beetles. They are black, big, and pear shaped. some have gray, others have white stripe. they devoured an entire autumn clematis in ONE day. i looked at it last night, enjoyed the smell, and this afternoon, it is nothing but a skeleton.
i also found them on the brugs. i declared war and sprayed (it killed me) diazinon. i swear they LOOKED at me as if to say "is that the best you got, lady"...
these are some mean looking beetles. anybody have any idea what they are?
jen

Deep South Coastal, TX(Zone 10a)

I know what they are! They are eating my cestrum and Japanese anemones. We call them "Blister beetles" because they have the chemical "cantharidin" that causes blisters on human skin. The one you mention is the Black striped blister beetle. The larva eats grass-hopper eggs but the adult causes major damage to some crops. I use natural pyrethrin sprayed on them (dilute it with water first, according to directions) sprayed every evening it will recuce their population without damaging too many beneficials.
Cala

Blister Beetles and MEAN''Whew,they'll
go after you too,so be careful''
We have them here too'Sis'

Gulfport, MS(Zone 8a)

i SWEAR they were laughing at me. ironically, after they completely devoured my clematis, they disappeared.
what burned me up, is the sweet autumn clematis grows wild around here..you can see them everywhere.
did the blister beetles eat them???? no!!!!!
why was mine so tasty?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.