black bamboo cuttings

(Zone 7a)

Hi, all.

I have an offer from another DGer to send me cuttings or roots of black bamboo. We don't know how to do this.

Any help and suggestions?

Kwanjin

(Zone 9a)

You are going to want roots. Cuttings are definitely not a sure thing.

If you get cuttings do it in the spring.

Either way, thank that other member a lot.

(Zone 7a)

How should we package them for shipping?

(Zone 9a)

I'm back on again. Will be leaving soon.

Roots or shoots?

(Zone 7a)

Roots.

Central Texas, TX(Zone 8b)

You would need to get some roots and keep them moist.

(Zone 7a)

Wiil the roots being in a plastic bag and overnighted be okay?

Kwanjin,

I think so. Have them wrapped in wet newspaper if possible.

Dean_W

(Zone 7a)

Okay, thanks. I had another member say that I should keep the roots shade until they establish. Yes?

Yes, black bamboo likes a semi-shade enviroment. It's a good idea to keep them shady tell established and if the leaves curl you know you need to water more.

(Zone 7a)

Good to know. It will be in a large container.

Thanks again.

Abingdon, MD(Zone 7a)

I know this is an old post but wanted to post a reply to whomever comes here seeking bamboo knowledge.

Always roots, almost never shoots...(though with patience, time, care and luck a shoot with very little root will survive)!

A healthy rootmass will always produce shoots proportional to the size and stored "energy" it has. I.e. A single small (12") root of P. nigra (Black bamboo) will probably produce a small 6-12" "plant" if it is planted and cared for in a good environment.

Size matters with bamboo though ; )

A 36" round circumference "rootmass" of Black Bamboo (P. nigra) dug to a depth of 12-18" will normally produce 1" - 1 1/2" stalks of 18' + tall if dug from a mature grove. This size makes a beautiful "group" of bamboo that will settle and multiply rapidly in most environments the same year it was dug.

Ray

P.S. If you have Black or Clumping Bamboo that you want removed for free in MD, PA,VA,DE (or somewhere close) , let me know! ; ) Trust me...free is still very hard work!

(Zone 7a)

Thanks, Ray! It's always good to get as much info as possible. The black bamboo is coming from Oregon, Sorry. :-(

If we send it the way I posted above, do you think that will work? I will be putting it in a very large pot.

Saint James, MO(Zone 6b)

WOW, you are a lucky girl, C! :)

(Zone 7a)

I think so. With good friends like you around, how could I not be?

Saint James, MO(Zone 6b)

Awe shucks, makin me blush! LOL

Abingdon, MD(Zone 7a)

Kwanjin, (and Misty...making me misty with all the blushing ; )

I guess West Valley UT is a city in Utah?

A state I haven't been to yet! Just curious...seems pretty cold there! ; ) Zone 5?

Anyway, other than bamboo (Black Bamboo/P. nigra) probably won't survive unless you dump a lot of mulch on it every fall.

I might have some Japanese Holly Fern to trade this Spring (maybe now/or soon).

If you have a big pot...another great (my favorite bamboo) is Japanese Arrow Bamboo
(Yadake) very tropical, evergreen, thrives in sun, shade, heat, cold, etc.

I have it planted all over my yard....

It is beautifull with snow on it...see picture from my yard attached.

Ray

Thumbnail by RaytheGardener
Saint James, MO(Zone 6b)

Awe, making a male misty-eyed, there are still some good ones out there! :)
Beautiful yard there, Ray! Japanese Holly Fern has been hardy here so far, too. :) And Korean Rock Fern.

(Zone 7a)

Wow. Now I'm jealous. That's all I could say when I opened the picture. Wow. Twice.

What would you want for the trade. Holly Fern would be lovely.

(Zone 7a)

That's what the pic of the "fly" was, T. On the other thread? Korean Rock Fern.

Thumbnail by kwanjin
Saint James, MO(Zone 6b)

Another Fern that is hardier than most believe is the Asparagus. I got tired of messing with mine in the Green house, so I pulled it out of the pot and threw it in the back of the bed where I have my Ferns and Hostas, and it is still alive! It has protection from two walls surrounding it, and blockage from parts of the house as well, but gets very little sun, so I am amazed!

Saint James, MO(Zone 6b)

HA HA HA I never had opened that till now! LOL Hey, I thought I was going to bed! :)

(Zone 7a)

Hey!

Saint James, MO(Zone 6b)

is for horses! HE HE HE

Saint James, MO(Zone 6b)

Oh, I REALLY did just throw it, too! No digging a hole or nuttin to put it in!

Saint James, MO(Zone 6b)

yes, it is gorgeous! You know I love anything black, right? So I am envious of you getting black bamboo!

(Zone 7a)

Ray, in answer to your question about Utah being cold? Not really a question but...

Yes, it's cold.

Thumbnail by kwanjin
Saint James, MO(Zone 6b)

We had almost 60º today, and suppose to hit it tomorrow! :)

Abingdon, MD(Zone 7a)

Kwanjin or Misty...Let me know how you make out with the Black Bamboo.

5a and 6b are both pushing the limit unless you mulch it a bunch!

But I'll send you both some "test" bamboo later in the Spring if you are willing to give it a try in a few months!

Lemme know and enjoy your Winter.

Ray

Saint James, MO(Zone 6b)

Hey Ray,
I would LOVE some test bamboo as I have NONE! Winter is feeling like Spring again right now, so can't complain! Although we were all just complaining about it being too hot in here! LOL

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.