Please help me choose an insecticide

Sinking spring, PA(Zone 5b)

The Phoenix dactilifera particularly appear water stressed. Typically, when the necrosis is at the tip of the leaf the plant is trying to relieve excess water with little succes because the ambient humidity is too high. I would also not rule out excessive soluble salts. There seems to be the beginnings of iron deficiency in this group, too. I would guess that these have been too wet in combination with high humidity.

Overall I would - look at the quality of your mix
- probably need to cut way down on watering
- look at water quality and soluble salt levels
- include preventative foliar fungicide applications
- look at the nutrient program and products you are using
- possibly reduce the humidity in your production house

Good luck!

Newbury Park, CA(Zone 10a)

My soil mix consists of:

15% Fill Sand

25% Aged wood shavings

15% Hardwood Shavings

25% Peat Moss

10% Vermiculite

10% Perlite

Yes I have overhead irrigation, I was thinking over-watering was the issue, this really helps, I need to adjust my timers for cooler temperatures (which I have not done since summer). My humidity levels never drop below 60% day or night, the temperatures vary between 60-90 degrees (I germinate a lot of plants year round in the same green houses). I fertilize my palms with 8-8-8 fertilizer every 2-3 months. What preventative fungicides would you use on all these species? Would you adjust the soil mixture?

Your soil mix is good, although I am not a fan of wood shavings, the content is OK. Is the fertilizer a palm formulation? In addition to the NPK ratio, it should contain at least 2% Mg and 1% Fe and Mn. Another little note, but maybe not completely necessary is to half your rates and spread out over double the applications. I.E. 4 "half doses" ever month to month and a half. The Spectro 90 I mentioned is a very good general preventative fungicide.

What else would you recommend other than wood shavings to ensure good drainage?

Also, going back to Ethrel, any advice/opinions?

Is the Ethrel for palms? Its not used for palms that I know of. Its used to mature fruit, induce blooming in bromeliads and pineapples, and sometimes in mums to delay flowering. What are you using it for?

I've heard if you soak Bird of Paradise seed in this solution (mixed with water) and soak for 24 hours it speeds up and increases germination rate.

Palm Bay, FL(Zone 9b)

Ive had similar spots on some of my palms... the coconut, the queens, and the smaller seedlings. I sprayed them lightly with pesticide and they recovered great. No more spots. Only BURNS!!! lol. Different thread.

Its a possibility on the White bird germination, Mustangman. Just make sure the label allows for that. I have heard that it will make seedlings "Stretch", but I am not sure why that would be desirable. Good luck!

Well from what I've read it is supposed to take your 70% germination rate over a period of 8 weeks and turn it into 3-4 weeks, thats why its desirable. I have also heard the stretching theory as well.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.