SEED OF THE MONTH- Winter Sowing #2

Fair Grove, MO(Zone 6b)

We continue here.

We came from here http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/793847/

Seed lists are here http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/794900/

Distantkin was nice enough to make a list of participants in this swap.
If your name is not on the list, let me know ok.

dylancgc
cat64129
distantkin
Hillbilly_Gran
Robynznest
lcosden
essentialplanet
jadajoy
cathy4
pamsaplantin
pupil
bluespiral
jordan
bhaugh
blue_eyes
flowerhead410
kelboindy
mittsy
doccat5
bloomheaven
kd2000
Seandor
Cordeledawg
posyblossom
Shirley1md
rebecca30
sevidra
two hawk
hyblaean

This message was edited Dec 8, 2007 4:52 PM

Rockaway, NJ(Zone 6a)

Woops, posted to the previous thread.

I'm here, I swear! LOL

-Sev

Fair Grove, MO(Zone 6b)

That's ok. I copied the link incorrectly so you gave me time to fix it.

(Cathy), MO

Hey everyone. Hope your days are all going well. Mine is crazy but then again, it's a Monday!

Rockaway, NJ(Zone 6a)

I'm not on the list. :D

-Sev

Bessemer, AL(Zone 8b)

Sev, i'll make sure i put veggies in the swap for you.

Rockaway, NJ(Zone 6a)

Thank you, Jordan!

January 14th is my birthday. The seeds are shipping out on the 12th, which means I'll probably get mine right on the day of, or else just afterward! Woot! :D

Like Mittsy, I don't often get much of a birthday celebration, being right after the Big Holiday Season and all. So this will be my biggest birthday gift this year. Looking forward to it. :)

-Sev

Bessemer, AL(Zone 8b)

Great birthday present Sev.Mine is in Feb.

Saint Cloud, MN(Zone 4b)

Dylan-Cordeledawg is in-I got a D-mail stating this :o)
Just to make sure dylan, you want us to mail in our lists (one of what we are sening, and one what we wish for) in our envies. You don't want them posted on the thread correct? Just checking :o)

Fair Grove, MO(Zone 6b)

Right. Please post your haves and wants on the seed list. There is a link at the top of this thread. Please also enclose a list in your envelopes. After you post to the thread you can highlight and print so you don't have to write it out again. If you have worked out private trades then be sure to write the persons name on the seed packet.

Saint Cloud, MN(Zone 4b)

OK-I won't be able to post for some time as my list is ever growing...I guess I could always edit it...:o)
Thanks so much, Robbi

Fair Grove, MO(Zone 6b)

Sev- My DH is Jan 14th also. Must be a good day to be born.

Morgantown, WV(Zone 6a)

sevidra
How about culinary herbs? Or some lettuce? Would you be interested in some of either one? I know I have some partial pkts of herbs but not sure off hand what I have. The lettuce I saved from this years crop. I know it winter sows (& comes true) b/c my earliest harvest was from volunteers. It's a romaine type.

Cocoa Beach, FL(Zone 10a)

I am babysitting my granddaughter, she went to the emergency room Sunday am with a high fever and earache. They put her on Zithromax antibiotic. A few years ago I had an ear, eye and throat infection and had the same prescription, it didn't work for me. She's also teething.so is just miserable. I think she picks up new germs every day from her daycare buddies. My daughter will be out of town for a few days and sil has only been on .his new job for three months so doesn't want to have to take time off.

Lettuce and herb seeds, YES. I grow lettuce year round in a windowbox, harvest every other day or so. So much better than the store bought, which is loaded with preservatives and doesn't keep anyway. I will label some veggies for you sev. My radishes are just starting to show some red. Our farmer's market in Syracuse had the most wonderful radishes this year they were huge, size of a tennis ball and crisp with a mild spicy flavor. Mom and I shared a quart basket and enjoyed them with dip and salad for several weeks. I wish I had gotten the name. Would love to get seed and grow some myself.

Rockaway, NJ(Zone 6a)

Don't ask what I'm doing up at this hour. Or at least, _online_ at this hour.

Culinary/herbs/medicinals/anything edible makes me happy!

I've never done Wintersowing before, but we're saving up milk bottles so I can try it - when is it too late to do?

-Sev

Bessemer, AL(Zone 8b)

morning sev, just looking to see what veggie seeds i have to send for you. if i get my nastutiums in time do you want them too?

Rockaway, NJ(Zone 6a)

Oooh - I made a salad with nasturtiums this year, hubby liked it a lot. So that's a yes, absolutely!

Rose petals, nasturtiums, and various greens - it was colorful and tasty.

I'm still working out which seeds I have are good for WS'ing. And I need more sleep....

-Sev

Bessemer, AL(Zone 8b)

Sleep is good. I take ambien to help me sleep. Going to dr. today to get Chantrix to stop smoking. I really hope it works. I too am sorting threw seeds

Saint Cloud, MN(Zone 4b)

wow-early risers!!

Mittsy-hope your grand baby gets better soon!!

Sev, if you have any nasturtiums, I would love them....found out that the builder of my house loved them and planted them everywhere :o)-your Echinacea are being added to the package as soon as I get my backside off this PC

Kathy-Chantrix is wonderful....after smokin 27 years (yes, I started at 12-my dad bought them for me because he knew I would just smoke behind his back anyway) and 2 packs a day once I was of legal age-I quit with that pill. Nothing else has worked. I tried them alll! I smoked with the patch on. The trick with this pill is you have to set a quit date and stick to it.
I was told since I smoked heavy to pick one 2 weeks from the day I started the pill. I did and my last smoke was at 11:45PM on April 2, 2007. I remember it because I knew it would be my last-smoked it right before I went to bed-I ended up putting it out because I really didn't want it.

If you tell yourself you are done, and keep taking that pill...you will quit. I took the pill for a total of 7 weeks and stopped. The only time I really want a smoke is if I see Johnny Depp with one...no joke. Then I come here in the office where my husband smokes and the smell puts me right off.

You can do it-I know you can!!!
Robbi

Nelson, NH(Zone 5a)

Great story Robbi! Good Luck Jordankitty! I'm still sorting!-Kath

Fair Grove, MO(Zone 6b)

Jordan I quit smoking at 29, after smoking for 15 years. My lung collapsed one morning while I was doing cross stitch and I quit that day. I left a pack of Salem on the table for a year. Talk about nasty when they get stale. I lit one a month after I quit and it was so nasty I never lit another one. I'm 47 now and I still want one after a huge meal but not bad enough to lite one. You will feel better when you quit, after about a year you will notice a difference. Of course, I also gained 50 lbs. I'm glad I quit back then, smoking is so expensive now. I think they were $1.50 a pack then and I thought that was outrageous. Now you can't even get generics that cheap.

Good luck you can do it.

(Cathy), MO

Morning everyone. I'll chime in and wish you good luck too jordan. You can do it!

Saint Cloud, MN(Zone 4b)

dylan-so far 20 pounds-LOLOL
I go to the doc on the 11th to help with the gaining-she said if I quit she will help with this :o) (she had better!)

I felt better after a month-LOL, I quit in April, and bought a new house in May-I laughed when hubby was breathing heavy moving boxes and I was running circles around him! It was great!
Wouldn't light up either-wait-I would only light up if Johnny Depp came in here right now, with little on and a cig in his hand!! Wooo hooo!!
LOLOLOL

Nelson, NH(Zone 5a)

I've Never smoked and I'd light up with Johny Depp!! Mmmmm! LOL!

Saint Cloud, MN(Zone 4b)

LOLOL
OK-lets not go there....hubby won't be home until tonight-LOLOL

Bessemer, AL(Zone 8b)

thanks for all the support everyone. the way i see it i will have $65.00 a week for seeds and plants!

Blanco, TX(Zone 9a)

ok ok ok, after reading all this I am feeling compelled
to join you. May I join all of you in this monstrous envdeavor?
Distant convinced me, that though I may have small quantities,
that I may have goodies for ws that others will want!

I still have a lot to learn about winter sowing. Many of you talk
about having milk cartons everywhere. Now, it gets down to
the nitty gritty. Hope those who know don't mind, and hope
those who don't know can learn from my questions.
I have winter sown a lot of seeds. Some are Siberian iris,
Rudbeckia, Foxglove, Balloon flower, Bush daisy, Shasta
Daisy, Flax, and Flox, to name a few. Some went out in the
yard in my 'wild' area, and some are in peat pots. NONE are
in milk jugs. I have all these babies coming up with no
protection. I understand that some of my natives, like Indian
Paintbrush and Bluebonnets (lupines) are self sown, and
obviously, after a period of cold, germinate and survive
our winters to flourish in the spring. In our zone, 9a, we
generally have mild winters, but frequently have short spells
that the temps can get into the teens for hours at night.
What about the balloon flowers, daisies and Coneflowers and such?
Are most of you keeping your babies in cold frames and cartons
to protect them through the winter? Will they stay small as
seedlings until the weather warms? Will they survive if they
are not in cartons?
My biggest question is this: If I have a cold spell that lasts
long enough to give the seeds thier cold stratification, and
they sprout, in milk cartons, what will happen to them when
we have intermittant days that the temps rise to 70 degrees
for several days before plummeting back down to the 20's
and 30's. Will they get leggy and start a growth spurt? Will
they fry? Do I live in a 'too wierd zone'? Maybe some
other joiners here from Texas can help me with this.?

Bessemer, AL(Zone 8b)

hi joan, glad to see you post. how is everything going?

Saint Cloud, MN(Zone 4b)

LOL Hi Twohawk-LOL

as for warm days and cold nights-this is needed for stratification-it is a good thing when they are young seeds...mother nature knows what she is doing-I promise :o)
the warm thaw and freeze helps crack the seeds shell.

Athens, PA(Zone 5b)

OK, I have found this thread,no more two fisted threading;)) Since there is interest in those rose seeds, I am going out and harvest some more of the Rose Hips which contain the seeds if( and this is a big IF) those squirrels didn't eat the Hips already. It is strange. They eat the pulpy part of the Hip but not the seeds,but then I can't find the seeds. Grrrrrrrrrrr. Seed gathering can get quite complicated at my house.

I'll be back ,hopefully, to post Blaze Rose seeds along with 4th of Julys too as part of my seed envie.

Nelson, NH(Zone 5a)

Robbie-I didn't gather any seeds for heaths or heathers, but I can do cuttings next year. I have a bunch, but don't know if they are heaths or heathers and don't know names. so....do with that what you will! lol!-Kath

Blanco, TX(Zone 9a)

Everything's pretty good, Jordan. I am so glad to see you
here! I have been bothered by headaches for a few days, myself.
I hope you're feeling much better!

It looks as if I may have well more than a dozen types
of WS seeds I can share. I am very glad that there are lots
of new 'faces' in this trade, as I wouldn't want to 'regift'
seeds back to some of the same people I may have recvd
from in a trade!! LOL

edited to add: The Very Best of luck to all of you quitting
smoking. I'll put it this way instead: Congratulations on a job
well done!

This message was edited Dec 4, 2007 1:24 PM

Bessemer, AL(Zone 8b)

joan, i hope your headache gets better, as i speak from experience- they are no fun. i'm trying to quit smoking. this ought to be real fun

Saint Cloud, MN(Zone 4b)

Thought you guys would understand why I call it Polar Planting-check this out...I put these pots out 4 hours ago-LOLOL

Thumbnail by distantkin
(Cathy), MO

LOL! You can't blame THIS one on me Robbi!!!!

Pittsburg, MO(Zone 6b)

Sweetie you can keep that stuff up north, I had my fill last year, enough to last me the rest of my life.

(Cathy), MO

Hi Robyn. I know exactly where you are. Used to go thru there alot.

Pittsburg, MO(Zone 6b)

Strange how just about everyone who goes to the lake knows where we are. I'm glad I don't live over there anymore. Just have to work there.

(Cathy), MO

It wasn't going to the lake. I used to live in Lebanon and we went to Sleeper and Richland all the time. Went thru Stoutland alot. Many long eons ago!
You work at the lake?

Pittsburg, MO(Zone 6b)

Up on the West end in Greenview, at a bar and grill. I'm the kitchen manager.

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.