December daily Weather, Tis the Season

Los Angeles, CA(Zone 10a)

Ice.

Thumbnail by KashtanGeorge
(Zone 3b)

George~what a beautiful sight; the ice on the river is spectacular, as is the city. Do you have special winter tires for your bike?
marsue~~such wonderful memories you and your family has; the gkids tree is a great idea. Thanks for sharing and it is very senitmental. (I'd asked about LVegas,thanks)>
adina~How nice to learn of another wonderful Christmas tradition. Sounds great.
Very gray, cloudy today; no sunlight; sunset is a hour/half from now and perhaps there'll be sunlight tomorrow. It think the term dim works.
The river is frozen, but I wasn't able to stop for a pic; maybe tomorrow.
Today's view ~~
(sorry, forgot to resize)>
Kiska

Thumbnail by kiska

Kiska, sure! I'm skating on it! Lol.

(Zone 3b)

George~~I'll bet you are:))

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

Currently: 30°F Freezing Drizzle
Currently: -1°C Freezing Drizzle
Wind: South at 5 MPH
Humidity: 93%
Dewpoint: 28°F
Barometer: 29.97 inches and
Wind Chill: 25°F
Wind: South at 8 KPH
Humidity: 93%
Dewpoint: -2°C
Barometer: 1015 millibars and
Wind Chill: -3° C

We got around 3 inches of snow today. It started around 10 am and didn't let up til right before dark. It is gorgeous out!! And the best part is it is a wet snow so I can start snowball fights. LOL

Thumbnail by pepper23
Springboro, PA(Zone 5a)

Nice photos everyone!

Looks like winter is here for a while. It's 16º tonight with highs in the low 30's and snow showers forecast for the next few days. Here's a photo of the Geneva Marsh taken yesterday evening.

early_bloomer

Thumbnail by Early_Bloomer
Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Current conditions as of 9:55 pm CST

Cloudy
Feels Like: 37°
Barometer: 30.11 in and rising
Humidity: 71%
Visibility: 10 mi
Dewpoint: 28°
Wind: WNW 3 mph
Sunrise: 7:02 am
Sunset: 4:56 pm

Amazing photos, George!
Your photos of the "ice river" and the photos by Kiska, Pepper and EB remind us all that it is winter, indeed!

Taylor Creek, FL(Zone 10a)

E_B, once again a chill just looking at that picture. Juri, where were you taking the lake ice pictures from.
Well it's sickningly nice here. I'm embarassed to give details.
;)

(Zone 5a)

Good morning!

It's 25°F and clear skies this morning so the snow's still here :-) Had a terrible time scraping the car windows this morning though and one of the doors was frozen so I was a bit late getting the girls to school ......... it's the kind of trouble I could only put up with with snow on the ground ;-) lol It's fairly calm (the 3rd day in a row! :-)) only 4 mph breeze from the east. Today is the day that sunrise will be at 11 am .... sunset at 3:38.

Adina - I see St. Nick brought you something yummy ;-)

Juri/George : great photos! That's some ice on the river - how cold is it?

EB - gorgeous!

Thanks Kiska - that is a fantastic photo of the mountain and dim light :-) Isn't it amazing that we've had sunset before your sunrise?

Here's a snow photo from yesterday :-) It's taken in Reykjavik (our capital). There's a river that runs through the wooded area where you can fish for salmon ....... I'm pretty sure it's the only capital in the world that has salmon fishing in the middle of the city ;-)

Hope you all have a great day!

Thumbnail by rannveig
Amelia Island, FL(Zone 9a)

Pepper – Sleet? I don’t like sleet. I hope you are staying warm. Ahhh – that’s a gorgeous snow picture!
Marsue – Love the Vegas pic!
Joey – So glad no one was hurt badly in the pile ups. And I’m really glad Emily was safe during it all. I am loving your river pictures!
Marylyn – How did your decorating go? Sounds like a lot of fun! I still don’t put out some of my “good stuff”. I’m afraid I might break them – LOL!
Kiska – Cute moose and flower picture! Prissy’s eyes turn blue as well in a picture. It’s very odd looking at times. Another picture for my background! LOL!
Ducat – Bitty looks worn out! Poor baby!
Rann – I love the lava story! That’s great – LOL! I’d leave it alone too. :O Pretty pictures – the water has a “spooky glow”. The Reykjavik picture has a peaceful look you can only get with snow.
Adina – Great tradition! Any reason to receive chocolate is a good reason for me! Those are some spiffy looking boots!
Juri – Beautiful icey river pictures!
Early – Once again – your pictures take the breath away (and not because it’s cold outside!) Well done!

59.0 °F / 15 °C
Overcast
Humidity: 87%
Dew Point: 55 °F / 13 °C
Wind: 0.0 mph / 0 km/h
Wind Gust: 3.1 mph / 4 km/h
Pressure: 30.27 in / 1024.9 hPa (Steady)
Visibility: 5.0 miles / 8.0 kilometers
UV: 0 out of 16
Clouds: Overcast 500 ft / 152 m

Today
Mostly cloudy early in the morning then becoming partly cloudy. Patchy dense fog early in the morning. Visibility one quarter mile or less at times. High 72. East winds 5 to 10 mph shifting to the southeast in the afternoon.

another quick sunset picture...a little blurry :(

Thumbnail by MySharona
(Zone 5a)

Thanks Sharon :-) Since you don't know which rocks might have inhabitants there are a lot of them around! lol

Here's a photo from this morning :-) Just before 10 am. Now if I hurry - I might just catch the sunrise, it'll be in 5 min :-)

Thumbnail by rannveig

Currently: 30°F Mostly Cloudy
Currently: -1°C Mostly Cloudy
Wind: North at 6 MPH
Humidity: 92%
Dewpoint: 28°F
Barometer: 30.06 inches and rising
Wind Chill: 24°F
Wind: North at 9 KPH
Humidity: 92%
Dewpoint: -2°C
Barometer: 1018 millibars and rising
Wind Chill: -4° C

Peterstown, WV(Zone 6a)

Good Morning, We have some precip all around us, but not here thank goodness....it's Sleet! I'll need to leave a little early to go to school, tho. It is supposed to start warming up by noon, so it won't be so bad coming home.

Cloudy28°F
Feels like: 28°F
Barometer: 30.3 in
Dewpoint: 23°
Humidity: 80%
Visibility: 10 miles
Wind: 0 mph
Sunrise: 7:23 AM
Sunset: 5:05 PM

Rann, Love the street shot! Very pretty! And the Salmon run right thru town! Wow!
Juri, Great ice shots of the river, but it looks super cold!
Thanks Sharon, I haven't remembered to take my camera anywhere w/ me for the past week or so, so you're getting "reruns". :)
Sidney, LOL! We could use a little warm temp readings about now! :D
E_B, That looks kind of like a tundra shot! Very pretty & w/ a sense of solitude about it! :D I love your walks.
Pepper, Have fun w/ the snowball fights! :D
Kiska, What a Great Shot! :D The different shades of blue are Stunning! :D Good puzzle material!
Adina, Glad you're back! What an interesting tradition. I'm gonna go clean out my boots right Now! :D

Todays trivia is...
How many times brighter does the sun appear in the sky compared to the moon?
a) 100,000
b) 400,000
c) 1,000,000
d) 4,000,000

Have a Great Day!
Joey
(One more of the river, I'll try to take some "cold" shots today)

Thumbnail by music2keep
Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Great photos everyone!

Rann: Reykjavik appears to be quite the metropolitan city! How many people live there? Love the street shot, too! I'm saving it!
Sharon, How do youtake those great photos and drive at the same time? LOL and your windshield is certainly a lot cleaner than mine!
Pepper, you are about 10 degrees colder than we are this morning. It was 40* on my backporch at 6:30 a.m. --warmer than yesterday, thank goodness!
Joey, love the river photo. I think I'll pass on the trivia question--I can't even begin to guess the answer to that one! I'll just wait for you to tell us. LOL

Here's another photo from our vacation 2 years ago. This is Hoover Dam just before we crossed over from Arizona to Nevada.

Thumbnail by marsue
Fredericksburg, VA(Zone 7b)

31°F
Feels Like 31°F
Light freezing rain
According to the local radio station this is more like an ice storm, roads are very hazardous.
I want to try and get my little baby "greenhouse" in the house this weekend. Shifted some furniture around so I can fit it in. #1 Son thinks he can rig me some grow lights on the cheap. I have both of my bays full of plants, seedlings etc...y'all know the drill........LOL

Joey, cool waterfalls!
The trivia question, I guess - when the pic was made? Lol.

Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

Winter Storm Warning in effect until 18 minutes ago.

Watching the DHC's try to walk on the iced over front porch.

33°(F)

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Good morning! We made a long chain made of wrapping paper scraps, but didn't get the tree up, so it's just sitting in a heap on the dining room table right now. :-) We usually put the tree in the corner of the dining room, but we sell stuff on eBay, and the dining room is our warehouse, full of flattened boxes and packing material. So I need to move a lot of that to the back room - which I need to straighten out first. My parents are coming next week (yayyy!), and the back room is where the sleeper sofa is, so I'm not sure all these boxes will fit back there... Charles has been working on his study (the ceiling needed new wallboard, and now that that's done (almost), the whole room needs painting), so all of the stuff that normally goes in there is also in the back room. I'm thinking the tree may end up in the living room after all. LOL

It's quite nice here today. The high is going to be in the low 80s. I'm hoping we will be able to get all of the lights up outside tonight because it is going to rain off and on this afternoon.

Observation for Houston, TX (KSGR) as of 7:53am CST (28 min ago)
Temperature 64 °F 18 °C
Dew Point 62 °F 17 °C
Humidity 93%
Pressure 30.03 in 1017 mb
Wind Speed 6 MPH 5 kts
Wind Dir SE 140°
Ceiling 4700 ft 1433 m
Visibility 8 mi 12.9 km
Current Conditions Cloudy
6 hour min temperature ending 5:53am CST : 57.9°F / 14.4°C

Good morning! Though its 5.30 p.m. here. lol.
Temperature 36.32F
Pressure 750 mm
Humidity 93%
Wind : Southern 3.1 MPH
Wind Dir: S
Current Conditions Cloudy

Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

low 80's, Marylyn! Send some of that warmth up here! Let's see now: things to do for you today: clean out back room, clean out dining room, paint the study, put up tree, etc., etc. You need a 48 hour day! LOL

Dyson, I want to see a pic of the DHC's walking on ice--or trying to! LOL

Cathy, my mandevilla and begonias are still on my back porch. I don't have room for them inside! I've been trying to keep them protected on especially cold days but I don't know if they are going to make it through the winter. The only place I have to put them is in the garage and it's dark in there with the door down. sigh

George, if my calculations are correct, you are about 9 hours ahead of us in time.
Send us some more pics of those beautiful buildings you have over there, please.

Rann – Your street sparkles in the first picture! So pretty!
Joey – I don’t remember ever seeing the last picture – It’s beautiful and saved as background! Wild guess on the trivia question….ummmm C.
Marsue – LOL! I have a digital that has the screen on the back of the camera (so I can still see the street while driving) and I slow down make sure any other cars are far enough away. Awesome picture of the Hoover Dam!
Dyson – Is it dark? I cracked up about watching the DHC’s walk (slide) across the porch!
Marylyn – I don’t enjoy Summer in Fall/Winter! I want to see and feel the changes in the seasons.

63.1 °F / 17.3 °C
Haze
Humidity: 69%
Dew Point: 53 °F / 12 °C
Wind: 2.0 mph / 3.2 km/h / 0.9 m/s from the NE
Wind Gust: 6.7 mph / 10.8 km/h
Pressure: 30.30 in / 1026.0 hPa (Falling)
Visibility: 6.0 miles / 9.7 kilometers
UV: 2 out of 16
Clouds: Overcast 1200 ft / 365 m

Our high has been changed to 70*. It's cool enough for a light cardigan since we are overcast and it feels cooler.

I'm still waiting for my Thanksgiving and Christmas cacti to bloom!

Thumbnail by MySharona
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA(Zone 10a)

We got 0.3 inches of rain overnight. A little more would be nice but I think it's done.

Updated: 10:51 AM PST on December 07, 2007
Observed at: Van Nuys, California
Elevation: 797 ft / 243 m
55 °F / 13 °C
Mostly Cloudy
Humidity: 72%
Dew Point: 46 °F / 8 °C
Wind: 7 mph / 11 km/h / 3.1 m/s from the SSW

Millersburg, PA(Zone 6b)

That's a good one Dyson!.
Currently 25 degrees. Snow and sleet again today as we have had all week. It got up to 27 degrees today - a high. We are scheduled for snow and rain mix for Saturday, Sunday and Monday. After that it is supposed to warm up above freezing and rain until next Friday. Well I can say that we are grateful for the moisture - and that is all I can say.

I am used to working outside and so far this week went outside to fill the bird feeders and to get the mail - about 100yds. away. No wonder I am stiff shouldered in the spring!!!

(Zone 3b)

Strong wind this evening through early Saturday morning...gusts to 50mph.
27*F; snow/rain forecast but nothing as of now at 4pm. Sunset was 3:37pm. loss of 2m44seconds.
se_eds~ looks like our weather is nearly the same tonight. The birds at our feeder had a feast as my DH put out more sunflower seeds. That's all they want, and will pick at their food till they get the sunflower seeds.
MySharona~ It's very pretty how the sunset is setting at the end of the tree-lined street. Sweater weather sounds great.
Kelli~~not a lot of rain, was there~~will the storm be missing your area? We've heard there are evacuations due to fears of landslides. Hope they're really wrong on that point.
Dyson~~what a funny image comes to mind.
Marylyn_TX~~where did the tree end up? What a busy time you've got ahead. Shall we share some hours?:))
Joey~~thanks; I love the photo of the river~cold or not, it's a beautiful place. School about out?
marsue~~nice overview of Hoover Dam; did you go inside?
rann~~very pretty; glad you got the girls to school; better late than never:}}. Scraping is not fun; the other day my DH took the car through the car wash; needless to say, the doors/windows froze tight..after driving around for awhile with heat on high, they thawed.
E_B~~Geneva Marsh is beautiful; winter's changes are wonderful.
Juri~~do you know the time difference between Alaska and where you live? It's 4 pm here, must be tomorrow there by now.
Sledding earlier this year..
Kiska

Thumbnail by kiska
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA(Zone 10a)

Kiska, I don't know if it rained any harder or any more anywhere else. I haven't been paying attention to the news.

(Zone 3b)

Kelli~~things must not have developed as they'd predicted; that's good.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Hi All!
We've had a bit of a roller coaster ride the last few days.
Wednesday morning I left for work after brushing 1 1/2" of snow off the car twice.

Believe me a 6:30 AM highway drive in a blinding snowstorm is NOT the way to start the day.
Either the cars were going way too slow....
like the 10 MPH driver I got stuck behind on my street.......

or way too fast....
like the Expedition that spun out in front of me on the highway.... or the Dodge Ram that did the same thing behind me

or they were driving a totally stupid vehicle
like the Boss Mustang I was behind going up the ramp.... at 5 MPH and sliding..

After about 5 miles the snow turned to rain and it was smooth sailing.

Yesterday it was 15° when I left and luckily the rain had all dried up from the winds.

Today ..... scraped 1/4" of ice off the car..... then drove in to work in the rain again....
Lucked out again as it had hit 33° and the salt trucks had everything well taken care of.

Weather for the next week should be OK.
Rain about every day but temps in the 50's, possibly 60's by Tuesday.
Wish I had some cool snow shots but the rain got them all by the time I got home.

So.... ugly snow shot...

Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10
(Zone 3b)

ric~~it's so true, you've really got to watch out for the other driver; so glad you made it there and back. The picture is just fine. Looks very Christmasy with banner/lights and snow.

Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Brrr-se-eds!--and kiska!
No, Kiska, we didn't go inside Hoover Dam--probably should have though.--that's a cute sledding shot! Kids and snow make a great combination--LOL
Ric, that was quite a saga--hope the worst of it is over. and I can see all the slush in the street but the decorations/lights are pretty on the house across the road.
It didn't warm up past 40-45 today and rained some, too. Yucky gray weather day.

I never understood why people feel they need to drive a mustang in snow.

Currently: 31°F Cloudy
Currently: 0°C Cloudy
Wind: Northeast at 12 MPH
Humidity: 82%
Dewpoint: 26°F
Barometer: 30.14 inches and rising
Wind Chill: 22°F
Wind: Northeast at 19 KPH
Humidity: 82%
Dewpoint: -3°C
Barometer: 1020 millibars and rising
Wind Chill: -5° C

Nasty weather coming again. Ugh!!

Freezing rain advisory in effect from 6 am Saturday to midnight cst Saturday night, winter storm watch now in effect from late Saturday night through Sunday afternoon. Total ice accumulations through early Saturday evening are forecast to range from one to two tenths of an inch.

Thumbnail by pepper23
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Thanks kiska and marsue that's my Partner Robyn finishing up our lights there...
If this rain ever stops I'll get some shots of them lit up..

Ric

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Happy Birthday, marsue!!!

Marsue - HAPPY BIRTHDAY!
Kelli – Rain, that’s great!
Se_eds – Sounds like some nasty weather the weekend. I’d love some moisture around here too.
Kiska – Great snow/sledding picture! She’s adorable!
Ric –Sounds like you’ve been driving here during one of our rare snow days. That’s why I stay off the streets and the city shuts down. Why would someone drive a Mustang in the snow? That’s crazy. The house looks festive – don’t be so hard on the slush! LOL!
Pepper – Keep those snow pics coming!

59.0 °F / 15 °C
Fog
Humidity: 94%
Dew Point: 57 °F / 14 °C
Wind: 0.0 mph / 0 km/h
Wind Gust: 0.0 mph / 0 km/h
Pressure: 30.33 in / 1027.0 hPa (Rising)
Visibility: 0.2 miles / 0.4 kilometers

Dense fog advisory in effect until 10 am this morning...

Today
Mostly cloudy in the morning then becoming partly cloudy. Areas of dense fog in the morning with visibility one quarter mile or less at times. High 73. South winds 5 mph becoming east in the afternoon.

I just took this picture - look at the fog!

Thumbnail by MySharona
Peterstown, WV(Zone 6a)

Good Morning! Things are fairly calm this mornin'....Our upcoming weather senario sounds much like Rics.
Temp 46°F
Feels like: 42°F
Barometer: 30.2 in
Dewpoint: 43°
Visibility: 10 miles
Wind: 8 mph SSW
Sunrise: 7:24 AM
Sunset: 5:05 PM

Marsue! Happy Birthday! :D
Kiska, Thanks. Finals are this upcoming week, so I'll need to do some studying this week end. Luckily I only have to work today & not again til Thursday. My exams are on Tuesday & Wednesday. BTW, Every one at school is in a big uproar about this graduation thing. Consider me a "can of worms" opener! :D Your GD looks as tho she is having a blast...so much Fun! :D
Ric, Some folks just don't use common sense when it comes to driving! Very funny senario! I used to live just south of Cleveland & some folks up there drive the same way! Your house looks really neat.....Quaint & cozy. :D
Sharon, We had fog like that last night...very difficult to drive in. I kept wondering where the road went to!

Well, must get ready for work.

Have a Great Day! All!
Joey
(my camera is in the car)

Thumbnail by music2keep
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

37° here and grey again..... I think Grey will be our local color for nearly a week....
But as Sunny usually means cold from the Northern Blasts.....
It should start warming up here in a bit to 43°.......... 50's tomorrow........ I'll take it.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY MARSUE!!

Joey Great Mallard shot!

Ric

Fredericksburg, VA(Zone 7b)

Cloudy
39°F
Feels Like 39°F
Happy Birthday, Marsue, best wishes for many more!

They're calling for rain here all next week with temperature going back up into the 50s. I'm hoping we can get the rest of my bulbs planted later today.
Been sorting thru my seeds and trying to get a bit better organized, it ain't workin.........LOL
Missy, the cat was up on the table try to help me. Thank God I hadn't done anything except line up envelopes. She's usually daddy's girl, but I guess I was making interesting noises or something........LOL

Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

Overcast, rain gauge still at the 1.6 inch level, 40°(F).

"Cat ice-capades" was over too quickly to photo, but it was a humor diversion for a few moments.

Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Thanks for the birthday greetings everyone and Cathy, thanks for the wishes for "many more"!
No snow or ice but lots of fog this morning, like you, Sharon. I wonder if it is foggy all across the south this morning? Warmer today, too--high of 63 with 72 forecast for tomorrow. (Sorry Sidney, I have completely given up on making that degrees sign!) LOL
Good luck on the exams next week, Joey. BTW, great "duck on the lake" photo!
Ric: Robyn looks "snug as a bug in a rug" while finishing up the decorations on your house!
So--Marylyn--in which room did the Christmas tree find itself being decorated?
. . .nd to pepper and Sharon: why would anyone drive any vehicle in the snow and ice? LOL
To celebrate my birthday, DH and I are going to drive a whopping 8 miles to Lowe's and purchase a big poinsettia! He doesn't know this yet but I am about to inform him of this fact. They had them ultra-cheap last week when we were there and I have decided one of those would make a good bday present. LOL BTW, he gave me a bee-you-tee-ful bday card--made me cry(with joy).

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

We have plenty of winter garb.
It sells cheap here at the second hand shops in Spring.
Lots of Northern transplants dumping too warm stuff I guess.
What's too warm for casual wear works GREAT for long days hiking and working here.

Check out the Amaryllis too.... they are dirt cheap there at Lowe's..

Ric

(Zone 3b)

Today
Rain and snow in the morning. No snow accumulation. Highs in the mid 30s to mid 40s. East to southeast winds 15 to 30 mph with gusts to 55 mph. Winds diminishing to northeast 15 mph by afternoon.
Happy Birthday, Marsue; hope your day is filled w/many good things and warm wishes.
Haven't had coffee yet, so will get back later.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.