December daily Weather, Tis the Season

L.A. (Canoga Park), CA(Zone 10a)

Remains of a pueblo from 700 to 800 years ago

Thumbnail by Kelli

Ancient Indian petroglyphs - I'd say these are pronghorn.

(Bear with me - just one or two more pictures to go.)

Thumbnail by Kelli

the Painted Desert (The photo doesn't do it justice.)

Thumbnail by Kelli
Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

I think we here on the weather thread need to make our very own calendar with all these gorgeous photos--only thing is we have so many good photos that we could never decide which 12 to use! Great photos everyone!
Welcome, George. Is this your first time on this thread or did I miss you somewhere along the way?
Marylyn, your little bunny's baby photos are just too precious!
thanks for the photo tour, Kelli! Wow, a 700 year old pottery shard! Were you able to keep it or did you have to leave it there?
Ric, certainly sounds as if you know what you are doing re: the plantroom addition.
Kiska, is that a downy woodpecker in your photo?
Congrats on the test score, Joey!
Do y'all realize there are 42 posts on here just for today? (not counting this one) We certainly are "chatty" today! LOL

I left the pottery shard there. It would be soooo against to law to keep it. One of the volunteers at the park said that I should tell a park ranger and they would send someone over to check it out. I told a park ranger but he didn't write anything down. Maybe that kind of stuff is all over the place.

Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

You are probably right about that, Kelli, but if they are all over the place, I don't know why they would mind if you took a 'sample'. LOL
However, I know that most parks of that type don't allow anything to be removed and really, I can understand why they have that rule.
Here in Arkansas we have the only diamond mine in the U.S. You can dig for diamonds and even keep any smaller ones you may find but if someone finds a really big diamond they have to share the proceeds with the state.

I tell myself that the pottery shard would not be happy here at my house. Silly, but it makes me feel like I did the right thing.

(Zone 3b)

Kelli~ your trip was so interesting; this will be a great place to visit on the "someday" months long mhome trip...I can see how you could spend a lot of time there.
marsue~~finding diamonds will also find a place on the schedule:)) sounds great.
The woodpecker is a " Hairy Woodpecker". They aren't found much further north and don't migrate.
The weather is changing w/wind warning for tomorrow.
30-50 mph with gusts to 75 for the Matanuska Valley, ( my area).
It's 13*F. Will be quite cold when the winds pick up..
Kiska

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

You certainly did Kelli.
All Native American objects are all considered sacred.
I have 40 or 50 pounds of petrified wood from that area, but not the Park.
It's really amazing stuff and free for the taking w/ permission.
And one very small pottery shard.
Gifted to me, by a tribesman in the area.
He's a Shaman and it was a token of friendship. Long story.
Any taken objects are considered stealing heritage though.
Just like stealing from a Church.

Ric

Peterstown, WV(Zone 6a)

Mornin' All! We have a fairly normal temp for the morning w/no frost. I am so glad to see things getting back to normal temps! :D Now if we could just have some rain or snow to soak the ground....
Clear36°F
Feels like: 36°F
Barometer: 30.3 in
Dewpoint: 25°
Humidity: 64%
Visibility: 10 miles
Wind: 0 mph
Sunrise: 7:19 AM
Sunset: 5:05 PM

Sidney, What a gorgeous shot! :D
Thanks Kiska, Sharon, & Marylyn! :D It's a shame that it has taken nearly the entire semester to finally start getting it! And it's amazing...my Prof. said it was like working a puzzle...that's all it took! He said if I could do the "Sudoku's" that I can do the Math.
We took JW to his first parade last night! He absolutely Loved it! Oooing (or should I say "cooing") the entire time. :D
Welcome George! :D
Deb, What a beautiful Flower! Your yard must be terrific! :D
Pepper...Love your pics....the bridge looks like a great place for a walk! :D
Kelli! Yes, you were missed! Thanks so much for the tour! I know that you were glad that you 2 had that new vehicle to use on the yucky roads! I have always wanted to go there. I could just get totally lost & love every second of it...Tribal beliefs do consider such things rather sacred.
Ric, If I were to go there I think that I would look up the Shaman! to talk for hours! (forget the shard) Your addition is gonna be great! and you did a fine job getting things all squared up! :D You're right about it being the most important part! :D If you get too awefully bored...Do I have a project for you! :D
Marylyn! Those pics are Adorable...simply priceless! :D Thanks for digging them out! :D The 2nd one is the best!
Dyson?????

Some trivia for the day...
What is the main reason that it generally gets quieter in a snowstorm?
a) Snowflakes muffle sound
b) The pressure is lower
c) The air is colder
d) The clouds are lower

Have a Great Day! All!
Joey

Thumbnail by music2keep
(Zone 3b)

Dark, windy but warm; gusts to 80 through today/into tomorrow. The house is creaking and things on the deck are bumping; very noisy...
It's gone from mid-teens to high 30's with the warm wind. Sunrise 9:48.
M2K~~I love the photo and how you got such a broad view of the riffles and the width. Seems the professor used just the right analogy; that's just wonderful..."A"
Kiska

Taylor Creek, FL(Zone 10a)

Joey, I would guess the snowflakes muffle sounds. Also more animals,and people are huddled in some abode of one fashion or the other.

Welcome George, you should advise us of your daily weather. Where in Russia is Sochi ?

I have enjoyed all of these pictures from everyone and saved many for artistic inspiration. You folks are great photographers.

Ric, you might as well cover the 5' between addition and Hot tub. I love fabrication!

Marylyn, those pictures are priceless.

Gonna get steady cold all week, even down in the 30's one night.
Sidney

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

54° and dreary, drizzly..... more rain headed in around 5 PM...
Then the temps will begin to drop.
The high tomorrow will be at midnight tonight.
It's supposed to be down in the low 30's by the time I get off from work tomorrow..

Looks cloudy and dreary w/ a slight snow chance all thru the week.
Temps will be about Normal. Upper 40's highs to lows in the low 30's.

Sidney we may well cover that open area w/ a frame and tarp.
It won't be totally enclosed to to humidity and temp reasons.
We love the cold air/hot tub differential.
We're working on a prettier Winter front too.
Something to keep the cold winds out but not look as tacky as that tarp we now have.
DustyDS's DH suggested a pull down roll blind.
That in a rip-stop nylon 'may' be the way to go.

Ric

Los Angeles, CA(Zone 10a)

Pep, no joke!
I received it!!!!
25F and some brand new SNOW!!!

This message was edited Dec 2, 2007 4:36 PM

Thumbnail by KashtanGeorge
Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Current conditions as of 1:55 pm CST

Light Rain
Feels Like: 66°
Barometer: 29.93 in and steady
Humidity: 84%
Visibility: 5 mi
Dewpoint: 61°
Wind: WSW 22 mph
Sunrise: 6:58 am
Sunset: 4:56 pm

It was 64 on my backporch this morning at 6:40 a.m. and it is still the same.
Awoke to a very overcast sky--been gray all day and finally had a rain shower about an hour ago. Clouds are starting to break up a little and the sun is trying to peek through.

Joey--I'm guessing "a".
Kiska: "finding diamonds" involves putting on rain or snow boots so when you sink down in the mud, you won't get stuck. Our "diamond mine" is nothing more than an open field which they keep plowed up. The plowing turns up the diamonds and of course they don't look like diamonds--mostly like yellowish-brown rocks. "They" say the best time to hunt for diamonds is after a rain. I have been there once many years ago. Don't think my aging knees could take a morning or an afternoon of squatting down sifting through the dirt nowadays! Not a very glamourous thing to do at all but it could pay some big dividends. I'm going to try and find the website for the diamond mine and I will put a link to it here. There have been people who have found some really large and valuable diamonds there.
The "Hairy Woodpecker" resembles the "Downy Woodpecker" we have in our area.

Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Wow, George! Forget about the snow and tell us about that beautiful building!

It's the Winter Palace in St. Petersburg. The residence of Russian tsars.
I live very close.

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

Currently: 32°F Cloudy
Kansas City, Missouri
Currently: 0°C Cloudy
Wind: Northwest at 22 MPH
Humidity: 61%
Dewpoint: 20°F
Barometer: 30.14 inches and rising
Wind Chill: 19°F

We have already hit our high for the day. It was 63* at midnight. Temps fell to 41* by 5am. It will get colder as the day goes along.

A barn nestled in the trees a few miles from my place.

Thumbnail by pepper23
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

What a Beautiful bnuilding to have such a bloody past.
It's Breath taking!
Love that shot.

Ric (pouring down rain here now)

Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Winter Palace, indeed! I wonder what the "summer palace" looks like? LOL. Can you imagine living in such a place--they must have had literally hundreds of servants just to keep the cobwebs out of the corners!

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

I thought I reconized that building! Gerat shot of it!!

Marsue, I'll send pics of summer palace later.:)
I guess, in summer.Lol.

This message was edited Dec 2, 2007 5:17 PM

Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Thanks, George. I'll look forward to seeing that photo. From what I have seen on tv, there are many, many beautiful old buildings in your country!

Those are in harmony with trees and bushes. That's what the DG is all about. Lets reconcile stone with chlorophyll!!!
George. (Juri)

Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Great idea, George! I have lots of moss-covered rocks in my flower beds! LOL

So have I in Sochi. Lol. Pics coming.

Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

Dark, 47°(F)

Was overcast and gray all day - with no resulting moisture.

Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Overcast and gray all day here, too, dyson. But we did have showers with the gray. Maybe they'll head over your way.

(Zone 5a)

Good evening!

It's 35°F now at 11 pm, today's high was 39°F. It was partly cloudy today and a bit breezy, there's currently an 11 mph breeze blowing from the NE gusting to 26 mph, 60% humidity.

I've been busy all weekend with Christmas preparations, made the advent wreath, and got the advent calendar up in time for the girls. I baked the Christmas fruitcake today and got some more lights up outdoors. Most of the Christmas light on our street are up now, people were busy yesterday and today getting them up ;-) Now all that's missing is the snow to brighten things up a bit more :-)

Marsue - the day will still get shorter before it'll start getting longer ;-) Christmas is what get's us through December. January is tougher for a lot of people because then all the lights come down - but some people are starting to keep them up longer just to brighten things up a bit ;-) I start seed sowing in the beginning of January and that pretty much gets me through until spring ;-) lol Gorgeous sunrise!

So many wonderful sunsets and sunrises everyone!

Kelli - your Arizona photos are fantastic!! I enjoyed every one of them! What an interesting place to visit :-) Thanks for sharing them with the rest of us - it's a place I'd probably never seen otherwise :-) Never thought it'd snow in Arizona though - always learning something new here :-)

Kiska - amazing photos! And cute woodpecker :-)

Ric - the construction work seems to be going really well :-) How wonderful it'll be when it's finished!!

Joey - congrats on your test! :-) You're turning into a real math whiz ;-) lol I'm so happy for you :-) And sounds like JW was snug as a bug with grammy and poppy babysitting ;-)

Oh and Hi George! Nice to meet you :-) Great photo of the winter palace :-)

I was going to post a photo, but my computer isn't cooperating so it'll have to wait.

Have a good night everyone!

Rann

Taylor Creek, FL(Zone 10a)

For some reason Juri, Lara's theme s playing in my head.
;)

Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

Marsue: 42 posts when you visited. I got here late and there are 64! LOL.
Kiska: (to go waaay back), that white Pansy, along with some purple, are blooming now. They're more of a winter annual down here. Happy to see your woodpecker. Ours have been absent fromt the feeders recently; must be the warm weather.
Ric: What a project. Beyond my capabilites, so I'll just marvel at yours. Oh, and when you're done wth the rain, send it S.E. to VA and on to the Carolinas, please.

Kelli: Great tour of the petrified forest. Thanks for showing us.
Joey: I'm guessing A - the snow muffles the sound.? I love how quiet it is in the snow. :) Rarely get to experience it.
Dyson: Same here. Promising clouds. Nothing to show for it.
Sidney: 30s in JAX? Uh oh. I better check my forecast. :0
George: I'll have to look up Sochi on google and see where it is. Looking forward to seeing more from you.

Currently: 64 and clear (clouds left us dry).
Tomorrow: Sunny and 67, chance of rain 10%.

Here's a little collage of the things still blooming in my garden today.
Deb

Thumbnail by DebinSC
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Juri how far from the Black Sea are you?
The coastal area looks like it has a pretty inviting climate.
Like San Diego here which I dearly love.
Since you guys are hosting a Winter Olympics it must rise pretty quickly east of Sochi.
I remember seeing a short piece on the area when the bidding was going on.
It looks like you have the best of both worlds.

Raining STILL here.
I'd say we got 2" at least.
Radar shows maybe another hour then we're on the back side of the front....lol!
Then we get a huge drop for the next 24 hours,
From 55° now at 8 PM to 36° by morning and an afternoon high of 39° and sunny.

Course we also get this little Gem

Weather Wind Advisory
winds will increase overnight behind a cold front that will sweep
across the area. in the wake of the front winds will turn
westerly and increase to 20 to 30 mph with gusts over 40 mph.
strong gusty winds will continue during the day on monday...but
are expected to remain below advisory criteria.

Gotta love the weather here. LOL!

Ric (who hasn't had a decent colorful sunrise or sunset to speak of in weeks)

BTW, we got 0.4 inches of rain yesterday.

Updated: 1:51 PM PST on December 02, 2007
Observed at: Van Nuys, California
Elevation: 797 ft / 243 m
60 °F / 16 °C
Scattered Clouds
Humidity: 38%
Dew Point: 34 °F / 1 °C
Wind: 5 mph / 7 km/h / 2.1 m/s Variable

This is called Montezuma Well. It is a large sinkhole. Water enters it from underground and is 74F. The little spots in the water are ducks.

Thumbnail by Kelli

This is the surrounding countryside. This is at much lower elevation than the Petrified Forest so it has a totally different plant ecosystem.

Thumbnail by Kelli

There are a few cliff dwellings inside the "well".

Thumbnail by Kelli

And some other dwellings outside of the "well".

Thumbnail by Kelli

Water exits the "well" through the side of the hill and would run into a nearby creek except that it is diverted by an ancient irrigation ditch.

Thumbnail by Kelli

ferns beside the irrigation ditch

Thumbnail by Kelli

Arizona sycamore near the ditch

Thumbnail by Kelli
Peterstown, WV(Zone 6a)

Helluu!! Wow! Do we have rain! I think it's the hardest it's rained for quite some time! :D I'll check the rain guage in the mornring. We have a high wind advisory & the rain is supposed to change into snow tomorrow (maybe). Everything is subject to change. On the weather map...I think that E_B is getting a good "dump".

Kelli! More , absolutely great pics! :D Montezuma's Well must have been fantastic! And the Maidenhair fern! Wow!
Thanks Rann, LOL! Me? a Math whiz? Now that is pretty funny. :D I just hope that I can retain enough to get me thru the final exam next week! LOL :D
Juri, Welcome! I'm looking forward to some more great pics! The one of the Winter Palace is Great! :D
Deb, The colage is Gorgeous w/ all of your varieties! Love it! :D

The answer to the trivia is...A
The snowflakes actually muffle the sound, so it doesn't travel nearly as far.

Nite All!
Joey
(can you see the Lichen?)

Thumbnail by music2keep

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.