what type of compost bin to get?

Saylorsburg, PA(Zone 6a)

Just found a link where residents of Alameda County, CA can purchase the Biostack for $47.41 and have it delivered to their door! https://www.stopwaste.org/AlamedaCommerce/ProductList.aspx?View=Detail&ProductId=13

Maybe your county has a similar deal, Plantmover. I'm looking for the best price available. We may have to wait until spring when Amazon.com or a similar site has them again.

Anyone else find a better site where they are a little cheaper?
Jessica

Seward, AK

Beside the fact my homemade "3 Bay Compost Bin" is a winner, I'm recommending the Biostack for a cleaner first time look for a beginner.
Carol

Fredericksburg, VA(Zone 7b)

Now, ceeadsalaskazone3, I know the biostack is real nice, but you know your compost set up makes us all drool and have strong compost bin envy! LOL

Seward, AK

I fooled around with it for two days, of which one day was "deconstructing" the found lumber. But, you can see it takes some wood and for a fast "instant gratification" introduction to composting, I see the biostack as something real handy, for instance, right by your garden to throw your finished 'gone-by' old garden plant annuals and stuff like that instead of wheelbarrowing them all the way back to your compost bin if your garden is some distance away or situations of that nature. You'll end up like me and go for the "gold" eventually, but 'til then... ... You're all certfiable, you know. I know I am. It gets in your blood the first time you sift that black fluffy dirt smelling lovely rich... mmmmm Oh, was I saying something? hmmm kinda got to dreaming a little... ...
Carol

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

If you have a Smith and Hawkin store in your area you might be able to get a Biostack there. That's where I got mine. They seemed to sell them out as fast as the stock came in, so I had to have them special order one for me. (Well, both as a matter of fact). Their price is high but at least you avoid the steep shipping charge if you just pick it up at the store.

Karen

Rapid River, MI

Hi everybody, I'm a newbie here and I just wanted to thank you. After reading about your experiences I've just ordered by Biostack online. (we don't have any stores up here that might carry it :)! Anyway, thanks for the help!
Carrie

Fredericksburg, VA(Zone 7b)

Welcome to the composting nuts, Carrie :)

Helena, MT

newby vermies....for over forty years I have cultured red wigglers for fish food and more recently for the composted germination and potting mix. I use the plastic storage tubs exclusively which can often be found for less than a buck at the Good Will or Salvation Army stores.

I use doc's formula for feeding the worms and a blender. Peat moss is my media of choice, and I don't drill holes in the bottom of the bins any more. I have a somewhat different approach to the whole process which I maintain in my garage with a winter temperature of about 40 to 50 degrees F. The process is simple, inexpensive and effective.

Recent tips from the DG forms on composting and vermiculture have been very helpful in some of the changes I have made in this process.

morgan

Monument, CO(Zone 5a)

Hi all
I'm very new to DG and was looking for info on composters. I learned a lot from all your postings but wonder if anyone has used the ComposTumbler with any success.

mulege, Mexico

Check out the bokashi thread in this Forum. It allows you to compost meat, fish, milk and other wastes that can't be used in most compost. It can also be done in a small space (like a 5 gal. bucket).

I just started using it recently. It did wonders for some fish scraps (half a barrel full) that a fisherman friend gave me. I have six dogs and I'm also using it for their waste.

katiebear

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

srandlmt
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/782230/
Try that link to a long thread about different composters including tumblers, (oops, edit) IF I remember right.

This message was edited Feb 13, 2008 3:56 PM

(Sheryl) Gainesboro, TN(Zone 6b)

... and welcome, Carrie and srandlmt! Please don't hesitate to ask questions, there's some really knowledgeable people on this forum.

Mid-Cape, MA(Zone 7a)

Quoting:
Check out the bokashi thread in this Forum. It allows you to compost meat, fish, milk and other wastes that can't be used in most compost. It can also be done in a small space (like a 5 gal. bucket).

Like katiebear I'm also using the Bokashi method--especially during the winter, when I don't have grass clippings to mix into my Biostacks, and not that many browns. I like the way the Bokashi method allows me to use ALL my food scraps. Come summer, I will go back to my usual composting of grass clippings and my store of brown leaves. . . but I intend to continue my Bokashi 5-gallon buckets for composting all kitchen scraps. It's an amazing process.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.