This Is My Indoor Dream Garden!

(Zone 1)

Does anyone subscribe to Horticulture Magazine? I would love to have an indoor garden like this .... plants growing from the walls. Sounds pretty cool to me!

http://www.hortmag.com/view_article.asp?id=147

North Augusta, ON

wow--how cool is that?? I wonder of DH would notice if I planted that wall behind the couch---

(Zone 1)

I want all four walls to plant! Uh Oh .... There goes DH's big t.v. and his huge aquariuim!

Seymour, IN(Zone 5b)

I saw that in the magazine and turned green with envy. All that in a NY apartment! Life's not fair! Oh well, I can always dream. Lou

I don't have a subscription to Horticulture but I get it every month from the library and I really like it. Lou

Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

hello ladies,
I am drooling over the pictures, Lin. Maybe I shouldn't have a subscription to this magazine afterall. I might decide to just give up my house to have one of these jungle rooms.
That is an awesome sight to behold.

(Zone 1)

Isn't it wonderful? I think that would be so much fun planting walls like that! I want an indoor waterfall too! If I could have a room in my house like that I would never want to leave ...... my own private heaven!

Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

I am going to see what i can do to my front porch if i try real hard.........First I need to hang about 20 more baskets at least. With that too heavy poly I put up, the plants aren't getting as much light as they need.

london England, United Kingdom

That is a very cool indoor garden! Thanks for sharing the link.

Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

Lin, I just remembered that when I lived in Houston, there were 2 guys who lived in a big duplex and they used their 3 car garage and turned it into just what you are showing. People would drive by all the time just to see what they had added or what was blooming.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Hey Linn, How are you doing? I've seen these before aren't they great. I've decided I need a Conservatory not just a green house but a real Conservatory. I'll put one of these walls in one end for Orchids & Bromeliads. Plenty of beds for tropicals, a small pond with some water features a nice little seating area with a couple comfortable wicker chairs and a small pool to float in just to give it that tropical lagoon feeling. AHHHHHHH.
OK just dreaming. Been spending too much time at the Rawlings Conservatory lately. They have a rock wool wall with a soaker system here is a picture of part of the wall, sorry I don't have an expanded view of the wall.

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS
(Zone 1)

Hi Ya Holly! That sounds Awesome! My kinda garden. Yeah, A Conservatory ... I too would love my very own! I remember someone on the Aroid forum posting pic's of what they are doing in their greenhouse and it is truly amazing! Let me see if I can find that link. Ok, here's one I found where all through the thread he shows photos of his progress: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/682557/ It's really something!

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Thanks Lynn, I had been watching that in the earlier stages but haven't seen the updated pictures. Thats quite a project and don't the plants look beautiful.

Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

He really did it and did the job well. That pic is fantastic!
gail
Keep us updated, please........

Fredericksburg, VA(Zone 7a)

Wow!!!

I would feel like I'm in heaven! I've always wanted something like that.

It's gorgeous!

I wonder if my landlord..... *just kidding*

Karen

Smyrna, DE(Zone 7a)

The page for hort mag is no longer available. I really wanted to see that too!

Koreatown (L.A.), CA(Zone 10b)

Hi, I'm brand new to the site, just signed up today... and discovered the very thing I'm looking for!!! Hello everyone... and (already):

Help!

That page for the Horticultural Mag is no lonter there, as gardenbugde noted... and I may cry. The indoor garden you've been discussing sounds dreamy, and like exactly what I have in mind to do, in my new and dreary and small apartment. In fact, it was thinking of that, and figuring out how to do it, and where to find ideas for it, that led me to internet searching--and finding you guys!

Could/would any one of you tell me where to find the info? Perhaps some daydreaming one of you downloaded the article...? ; )

Thank you very much!

It's nice to find you all,
April

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

If nobody has it and you don't mind spending a few dollars, most magazines have ways for you to order back issues, so I'd check Horticulture's website and see if they offer that option. Based on when Lin posted that, I'd guess it was the December issue but hopefully she'll remember for sure.

Danville, IN

Most larger libraries will have back issues of Horticulture magazine. You could photocopy the article/pictures.

Koreatown (L.A.), CA(Zone 10b)

ecrane3: Thank you for the post. I'll hope that Lin might recall which month it was, and in the meantime see if the cover of the Dec. issue gives me the clue to take a flyer and purchase it.

And HoosierGreen: I'll see if the library near me has the issues, v good idea (it's funny, how I don't think of libraries in this digital age, tho I'm certainly old enough to know better!)

Thanks!

(Zone 1)

I did a google search and I think this was the article but can't remember for sure ... the photo's are gone from the website though. http://www.hortmag.com/article/The_Life_of_Riley/#walls

I guess you will have to go to a local library and look at back copies of the magazine to see which one had this article, possibly October or November. I wish I had a copy of the magazine ... I remember the photo's being really awesome!

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

I was just looking through the most recent catalog from Gardener's Supply, and they sell frame things to create your own living walls. The indoor version includes extra framing to control water drips so you don't get things wet, the outdoor one is cheaper but messier.

Here's the outdoor version http://www.gardeners.com/Living+Wall+Outdoor+Planter/PatioPlanters_Cat,37-001RS,default,cp.html
And the indoor version http://www.gardeners.com/Living+Wall+Indoor/37-085RS,default,pd.html

(Zone 1)

Yes, I get e-mails all the time from Gardener's Supply and I've seen that indoor version in their catalog. Very interesting! I would love to have an "extra" room inside the house where I could have live wall paper! LOL

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.