Spider Mites

Ozark, MO(Zone 6a)

We've brought our outdoor potted plants inside for the winter, and they've got spider mites. There are little webs, and the plants aren't looking good.

The main plants affected are a dwarf lemon tree, ornamental peppers, and a bay tree.

What can I use to get rid of the mites indoors? I want to be careful about what I use because we babysit our 2-year old grandson. Thanks!

Hermitage, TN

fill a spray bottle with alcohol, just plain old rubbing alcohol... and spray the daylights out of your plants.
Maybe do this in a bathroom, or someplace away from the little ones.
You'll want to spray the top of the soil and the containers the plants are in too.
Then, you'll need to be very diligent about keeping an eye out for more. Continue to use the alcohol as needed.
This is just the simplest method... there are all sorts of insecticidal soaps you can buy, but if you've got little ones around, I'd be wary of using anything too strong.

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

I'm not sure about spraying all over the plant with alcohol--I use alcohol on q-tips to get rid of mealy bugs, but I don't know if it's good for the plant if you get too much on the leaves. Insecticidal soaps are actually relatively safe compared to some of the other insecticides--I wouldn't let your grandson touch the leaves of the plant right after you've applied it, but they really won't do much harm so I think you can use them without worrying too much (make sure you apply it on the underside of the leaves, that's where the mites live so if you just get the tops of the leaves it won't help much). The other thing you can do is give the plants a shower, either in the kitchen sink if they're small, or in the shower if they're larger (again, make sure you get the underside of the leaves). You may need to repeat again after a few days, but I've successfully gotten rid of mites on many occasions using this technique. If you can increase the humidity in the area where the plants are after you treat them with soap or a shower that will also help since mites thrive in hot dry environment.

North Augusta, ON

Neem oil works well, and is safe.

Hermitage, TN

alcohol is actually very safe to use. Contact killer, so the down side is it doesn't have a lasting effect. the only real concern is the potential for drying... but this would take repeated sprays for several days. (I mean spraying every hour for several days! so, it's pretty safe)
As was pointed out by ecrane3, (thank you, I forgot to mention this in my first post) it's important to spray the underside of the leaves.

I don't know what kind of plants you're dealing with, but if you have any broadleaf plants, and if you're worried about spraying alcohol, you can wet a paper towel, or soft sponge, and then wipe the leaves. It's tedious as all get out, but it works.

Lexington, SC(Zone 8a)

I also haven't used alcohol for mites, only used it for scales. Neem seems to work very well, but it stinks and you cannot use it inside at all. Safer Soap sprays can be used indoors, though I still wouldn't recommend using a lot of it if you have pets (we have birds).

My problems with mites got so bad (on my larger plants) I just ended up going the predator mites route. It was expensive, but it seemed to do the trick, especially since I was constantly at war with the mites and didn't like all the spraying. It's not a solution for everyone, but it's worth a thought.

The best alternative I've found (beyond Neem) is the Safer Soap though. You can find it at almost any Lowes or Home Depot. It will kill the mites, if you can hit them with the spray. That's the catch.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.