Dumpster diving for coffee grounds

Fredericksburg, VA(Zone 7b)

I am NOT being drawn into this discussion! No way!!

San Francisco Bay Ar, CA(Zone 9b)

Just pretend cathy is a compost worm modeling wet onion skin and you'll be fine. LOL!

Moscow, ID(Zone 5a)

oh the things we've done for the sake of vanity...

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

Geez! esp teenage vanity! I was already six feettall and just HAD to buy these awful /awesome platform shoes!!!!!! three inch heel I guess but I just cringe at the memory. The consolation is understandng my daughter's quandaries with fashion. I'm so glad flats are in for her. And she can buy super long jeans that I can order over the 'net. My poor mom.

St. Louis County, MO(Zone 5a)

my jeans may have been snug, but everything was covered at all times. even little girl's clothing has body parts hanging out. I'm getting old...

Crozet, VA

Hi Cathy - You just said a mouth full. I can remember a few years back when I visited my son's fifth grade classroom. I had been knowing some of his classmates since kindergarten. You can imagine my surprise on my first visit of fifth grade, when what I saw was this whole group of very sexy dressed little girls. Yep, lots of skin showing. I couldn't get over it. I thought to myself that good grief, my generation didn't look like those young girls until we were ready to graduate high school.

Maybe I missed something by having to dress only two boys. But golly gee ya'll, my jaw dropped. I am accustomed to it now, I think. haha

Sally, I was always the heaviest in my class until middle school (Jr. High.) Over the years I now notice that the majority of the kids are the weight that I was then, but I was considered too heavy. After attending a few high school reunions and listening to people talk, I now realize that we all had burdens to bear, or at least we thought we did then. Gee, if we could only go back and re-do some things with the knowledge that we have today.....man, would things be different.

Due to the topic of liquids on our compost last week, I have another container under my kitchen sink to save old coffee and flat soda to feed my pile. I hope that it will love the liquid.

Ruby

Of course, Ruby, your worms like to have a little drink now and again..........:)

Crozet, VA

Yeah, liking the drinks, tends to run in the family. ha-ha

Ruby

Gilmer, TX(Zone 8a)

OKay here's the police report. "Several women seen late last night going head first into dumpsters and dragging out bags of things and laughing and dancing each time.
The were not identified because they wore gas masks and gloves.
HOwever, we consider these women to be off their rockers and would ask the public to keep an eye out. After they are done with dumpster, they could show up at your house to go through your trash.
Someone heard one of them say, "Come on girls, there is more in here"
If you do see them, do not approach, just leave garbage on your porch and they will take it and go away

LOL, Lorraine!
My career is going down the tubes. Three more visits did not provide any more ground-ful bags. Now that I got a fix in the form of grass+leaf bags, I'm less excitied about the dumpster. In January when I'm bored I may resume the search.

Crozet, VA

Really cute Lorraine. I did get a bag of grounds today from son who works at a local shop called "The Mudhouse." ha-ha I have magnets from there that say "Drink Mud." My car always smells so good as I drive home with all of the grounds. It is intoxicating.

Sally, I always smile when I see that you have posted. I am looking forward to seeing you again at some point. Remember that you can call me for bail if they ever lock you up for dumpster diving.

Take care all.

Ruby

Saint James, MO(Zone 6b)

I totally forgot about DH working at the University and the Coffee Shop they have there! He called me tonight and told me he has them saving all their grounds for me! :)

How sweet! Maybe he heard about the dumpster parties? :)

Saint James, MO(Zone 6b)

I had told him about the thread some time back and then forgot about it til tonight when he called me! LOL I will feel speshul cause these will be expensive coffee grounds! LOL

Crozet, VA

You made me laugh with the diving parties comment Garden. Cute.

Great find there Misty.

Ruby

WOOHOO, your worms will be "stylin" on those expensive grounds then...........grin

Saint James, MO(Zone 6b)

Maybe I will have some good smellin ones, too! *smile*

Vashon, WA(Zone 8b)

This is such a funny thread. I can relate on many levels, though I have not been in dumpsters after coffee grounds. When I was a kid, though, my dad would take us by the University dump to look for treasures. It was there and at the high school dumpster that we found all the notebooks, folders, tracing paper, and other items needed for the following school year. In my twenties, working for minimum wage at less that $3 per hour, I frequented several dumpsters behind grocery stores to supplement the food budget (until someone I knew got charged with 'shoplifting' for taking a broken bag of cornmeal out of a dumpster). The lesson there is to be careful folks and make sure you know the laws in your area regarding dumpster diving. My biggest find before I went on to more pleasant pursuits was several large containers of frozen food behind a restaurant that was cleaning out their freezer...soups and blueberries lasted for quite a while.

Crozet, VA

That you were charged with shoplifting totally sucks. Enough so to make me want to boycott the store if I was there.

Several years ago I used to read a Dumpster Diving Message Board that was on ivillage, a website for women. Those women were pros. I cannot recall anything in particular at the moment, but those women fed their families and furnished their homes with cast offs. They were almost as obsessed as we are about our grounds.

Ruby

It's a very sorry statement on the condition of our society, when, 1. our fellows have to dumpster dive to eat

A woman was interviewed on NPR a week or so ago, a diving pro. Yes, pretty shameful that so much usable stuff ends up there.

The produce guys were trimming cabbage yesterday. Boxes of green leaves. Wished I had bunnies. I kept repeating my mantra of the week. "Finish shopping and send boxes Don't collect compostables"

We frequently get extra beet greens for free at the Farmers Market. Many customers don't want the greens, they get tossed in a box and if they are in good shape, we ask for them and the fellows at the farm stall will just give them to us. (they think we're a bit odd for eating the greens).

I like them too

mulege, Mexico

bump

I asked a Panera Bread manager about grounds. He says the trash can they dump them in gets all kinds of mixed garbage. You might get meat scraps from sandwiches.
the WAWA coffe bar has a trash can by the brewing area and I bet you would get a lot of grounds if you are willing to pick out a lot of foil envelopes from the packets they open for each pot.
If I worked and had a coffee pot going, I would get them.

Offer him a 5 gallon bucket with a lid for the grounds and then make arrangements to pick em up. It's worth a try at least. :)

mulege, Mexico

Check the bokashi thread. You can compost meat scraps and lots of other stuff (but not foil) with it.

katiebear

Yeah, even the "big" worms find that a little toooooooooo chewy........LOL

Central Texas, TX(Zone 8b)

It worth it to ask.

Sure, nothing ventured nothing gained, a 5 gal bucket, a little smooze and batting of the eyelashes, can maybe get you plenty of coffee grounds. ;)

OK- You all come get the Panera grounds--welcome to them! I'm just not willing to commit to it these days! Well, maybe the WAWA, its so close to me and was very quiet at 8 30 on a weekday eve. Dunkin Donuts also has a trash can right under the coffee brew area. In case someone else wants to do the eyelash thing.
; ^) -} That is supposed to look like cleavage LOLOL But from the reactions I'm getting, I am THE only person in this county even asking for grounds.
I'll be going to get llama poop this week. I can walk right up and shovel it.

Metro DC, MD(Zone 7a)

Where's the llama poo, Sally? Homestead?

Yah, you betcha! I was there in late Novemeber and a guy came out of the chicken house and I asked. He even lent me a shovel. Nicely piled just to the right before you go in the barn. But you have plenty-o-horsedoo guess you won't be needing this...

Metro DC, MD(Zone 7a)

That is true! More poo for YOU! I wonder if a llama's GI system is comparable to a horse's ...

Wait, they chew their cud, right??? I'll bet that there are few weed seeds in it if that's right.

I do think they chew, as they gaze at you with those huge brown eyes.....The pooh is kind of pellet-y, like goat's, but bigger.
Here's my latest folly- Stealing a bag of leaves during the SuperBowl, walking the dog. I took the smallest one, but it was still heavy. Had to drag in partway home and suddenly, oops, its getting light quickly!! It started a major leak of wet leaves and acorns in front of my neighbors house! So then I'm trying to gather up the bag and scoot home, then sneak back out with a big dustpan and scoot a few pan fulls off the road so he doesn't find it the next morning.. HA ha. The next day, if you were the observant kind, you would see a light brown trail all the way up the road, pertty inexplicable if you didn't know what made it.
I was comforted by the thought that most people don't seem to be observant.

This message was edited Feb 17, 2008 12:39 AM

"and suddenly, oops, its getting light quickly!! "

Too funny sally! That sounds like something that would happen to me.
:D

Metro DC, MD(Zone 7a)

I have a BS in Observationism. I am an Observationist. I would have noticed that light brown streak and pondered it all the way up your driveway...

do you read Zippy the Pinhead? one time a character asked another to find his 'noticer button' on his back and turn his 'noticer' off. I am a noticer too.

P.S. I have gone by 'my' dumpster a few times since the first two, and had no luck at all!

This message was edited Feb 17, 2008 12:41 AM

Sounds like it's time to upgrade your dumpster.

(Sheryl) Gainesboro, TN(Zone 6b)

Dumpster 2.0?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.