Dumpster diving for coffee grounds

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

I just thought I'd report so you can decide if its worth it.
I have asked several times with no luck for grounds, they don't save them per se, and I can't commit to a regular pickup if they did. I realized they must use a dumpster right out back, soooo...I checked it out. It was overflowing, and right on top was one with a promising large brown soggy heavy mess in the bottom. I pulled it off, (had a brief paranoid fear that I locked myself out of my vehicle- how to explain this??), and took it home. For my efforts I got- Five plastic recyclable bottles to recycle, a stack of plastic cups, a presumably broken pen, a few foil and small plastic bags, a dozen or two paper cups, some lids, two large clearish trash bags I can reuse for my own leaves or compost, and about two or three gallons of grounds. So I guess it was worth it but don't think I'll become a career ground snatcher.

(Sheryl) Gainesboro, TN(Zone 6b)

I think that's great! Good for you.

Perhaps not career, but it could be a good side-line for you!

Saint James, MO(Zone 6b)

LOL That is too funny! My DH used to work at Goodwill and they had "dumpster divers" all the time, but not for anything like what you got! Good job! :)

NORTH CENTRAL, PA(Zone 5a)

I love "Potty Arming". They would throw me off this board if I start on all the goodies I have found while potty arming dumpsters and old overlooked farm dump sites. Some still do exist to provide many pleasing surprises.

St. Louis County, MO(Zone 5a)

potty arming?

mulege, Mexico

If you come across the book called "The Art and Science of Dumpster Diving" - grab it. It's well-written, funny as heck and expounds entertainly on the philosophy behind this avocation. I live in Mexico where I don't need to bother with a dumpster - I can (and do) go straight to the dump!!

katiebear

Metro DC, MD(Zone 7a)

Was this dumpster at Charbucks, sally? They won't save the grounds for you??? Sheesh, I've had a couple of them agree to save them. I may need you to tell me which location so that I can have some words with them ... :~)

NORTH CENTRAL, PA(Zone 5a)

Potty Arming? Little kids and sneaky ole men throw all types of goodies into potties and out houses. Thus..........potty arming.

The oldest two hole out house jolk in time was grandpaw caught throwing a dollar bill down the hole.....so to speak. He had seen thirteen cents down there and did not want to go potty arming for just thirteen cents.

San Francisco Bay Ar, CA(Zone 9b)

If that was Charbucks that wouldn't save grounds for you, try giving them an innocent look of surprise while stating that their corporate office of social responsibility has a policy of giving coffee grounds to gardeners. That technique brought the store closest to our community garden back in line. They didn't like the idea that I would call the corporate office and complain.

http://www.starbucks.com/aboutus/compost.asp

Thanks for the link. Maybe I'll print it and go armed.

I guess I'm too easy. The first time I asked, the young lady was apologetic and rounded up some for me by dumping everything she had. She said she would be sure to save them that week. Friday comes, she's not there and the guy gives me the blank stare. The other Scarmucks asked around here just waffle and say they're mixed with other trash, or they have never heard of it. (now that they're sticking them in Target and Safeway.. I'm not surprised.) Part of it is I do not want to commit to a pick up time. I am not a salesperson personality and I can't see myself chatting them up. I'd rather sneak around back and take my chances.

Scotia, CA(Zone 9b)

I finally stopped at the local coffee places here and asked about the grounds but came away disappointed. They have a waiting list! LOL I guess this area has a lot of gardeners.

If they are throwing them in the garbage they are costing themselves or their store money! They are wet,heavy garbage andit costs them a lot more in garbage fees to just toss them than it would to have them dumped into buckets supplied by the gardener. Starbucks even states it is part of their "waste reduction program" to give the grounds to gardeners.

Sally, honey - if they have to throw them away when you're not there *anyway*, making a commitment shouldn't be necessary. "Put it in the same dang bag, if I don't pick it up, throw it away - if I am, I'll take it off of your hands."

Not a biggie, and really no effort on their part, fer cryin' out loud.

Oh wait - they might have to think about it, but it will be less thinking than coming up with an excuse to put you off. And it's good community relations. Not saving it for you is BAD community relations.

How's that?

Metro DC, MD(Zone 7a)

LOL -- the key is speaking to the manager, methinks.

Sally, bring that puppy along with you next time -- to intimidate them.

The key *might* be kicking the dingbat in the shins, grabbing the grounds and running.

Hmmph.

Metro DC, MD(Zone 7a)

... and make sure that you have the keys to your car BEFORE you commence the kicking.

Scotia, CA(Zone 9b)

wrightie, you have a good point. A good manager is going to be looking for ways to reduce waste costs and advance PR any way possible where a kid at the counter is just going to be thinking "you want me to do what?!!!"

This message was edited Nov 23, 2007 4:38 PM

Moscow, ID(Zone 5a)

I live in StarbucksLand - just outside Seattle.
Most have a waiting list, so they are walking their talk, which is a good thing.
Unless you are not at the top of the list...
I decided to stop by the Starbucks kiosk at the local market last week, as I wanted to find yet another source. Asked the baristas & got the blank stare. Thought i should rephrase the question, for the sake of clarity. One of the girls told me that they could not rebag the grounds. I asked (politely) if this was a policy, and if not, could I come by at a specified time to bag them myself. She looked me in the eye & told me that they cannot give them to the customers because they use them again. I was just a wee bit stunned, "you mean you use them to make more coffee?" She said yes, but then thought better of her answer when the other girl looked at her in shock. Well, she back-peddled quickly on that one, and told me they are thrown away.
Ok - I guess you are "reusing" them if they are placed elsewhere - trash or what have you.
Made me think twice about getting any "fresh" coffee from that location!

Metro DC, MD(Zone 7a)

Holey Carp!

mulege, Mexico

I think a great story like that should be quickly told to the corporate headquarters. For several reasons.

Central Texas, TX(Zone 8b)

They just built a new Starbucks near my house. I have a Gift Card I need to use. So I am going to go down there get a coffee and ask them for some grounds. My compost pile is stacked w/ kitchen scraps after Thanksgiving , so.

Dean_W

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

Have anyof you thought about making your own large amount to coffee, using but hthe cooled coffee to water to pants, and the gound sin the compost pile. I went to my local startbuvhs a coue lmth a our and were giving it wasy with post hast..

San Francisco Bay Ar, CA(Zone 9b)

I use the leftover coffee at the office to water the office plants (diluted of course). They love it!

Helena, MT

Can someone please explain the merrits of coffee grounds.

Crozet, VA

Mraider you asked the merits of coffee grounds. I am not sure if my answer is correct or not, but hopefully someone else will come along who is more knowledgeable than myself. The coffee grounds are considered a "green" or nitrogen rich compound which our compost needs in order to become compost.

I have come upon a little tip that helps me figure which item is a brown or a green. It seems for the most part that the greens are wet in nature and the browns are all dry materials. There is supposed to be a 30 to 1 ratio of browns to greens. If i am not mistaken, and I am too lazy to do a search, the nitrogen rich comes from the greens and the carbon rich is due to the browns.

Someone please correct me, if I am getting this wrong. Without a science lesson, that may be incorrect (ha-ha) the answer to the merits of coffee ground is that it is good for our compost bins.

I love talking dirt.

Ruby

Fredericksburg, VA(Zone 7b)

Ruby, you're one of the best "dirt" talkers I've met on here, LOL. Yes, the coffee grounds are considered a green. And worms are coffee addictics! You put coffee grounds and leftover coffee on your plants and the worms will come! I've even soaked newspaper in leftover coffee and water and THAT really gets the worms moving. Worms love the paper and coffee, what can I say............grin!!

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

Sometimes I wonder if we couldn't just buy some cheap coffee and soak it in large amounts of really hot water to dilute it somewhat from reg. coffee strength, then add all of the liquid and grounds to the compost pile or water the plants with it digging the grounds into the surface of the soil or put it under other mulch like newpaper, chips, etc. I know this may be higher in price, but it would get the product we want. Coffee grounds & liquid coffee are a low nitrogen product that won't burn roots. A friend of mine gives her plants coffee every week thru the winter and they grow & bloom wonderfully for her. I cringe when I see them thro away coffe at the cafe'. Especially whole pots full at night. They have indoor plants they could let it cool and give it to but don't think of it. Every little thing like that is "too much trouble" for them. If I would remember to take a container with me they would gladly give it to me. I just forget to take a container so I am equally guilty.

Fredericksburg, VA(Zone 7b)

Great idea leaflady and I can relate. I have to write myself a note to remember my "list"! LOL

Pagan- I'm a sucker for anybody that calls me honey. Good logic in your response!
w- yes, I'll have the hound jumping at the door!! I agree for this area that doesn't seem to have anybody but me asking for grounds, I'll have to go to the manager for action.

For clarity- as far as I know- Much of the appeal of getting coffee grounds, is in reducing the waste stream, while getting a good compost additive or even straight into the garden additive. Ruby is right as it is a green for compost. See the link someone gave early on for the analysis of the grounds' nutrients (the calcium is great for tomatos) I don't think buying coffee just to brew it and use it all for gardening will be cost effective. I bet organic fertilizer is cheaper than coffee. I think alfalfa pellets are way cheaper. Manure is way, way cheaper, but many suburbanites have easier access to coffee shops than barns.

Now I really want to hear the end of the -we reuse the grounds - story!

Metro DC, MD(Zone 7a)

PC, when are you coming to MD? We can drive over to Sally's and then go dumpster diving together... Or ... maybe just pour ourselves a drink instead.

I've been upping the pressure on Teddy, I really want to come and visit. With or without him!

Scotia, CA(Zone 9b)

Quoting:
Applying coffee grounds directly in the garden Coffee grounds can be applied along with other materials as a side dressing for vegetables, roses, and other plants. Coffee grounds are high in nitrogen, but are also acidic. Adding brown material such as leaves and dried grass to the mulch will help keep a balanced soil pH.

Mixing coffee grounds in your compost Coffee grounds act as a green material with a carbon-nitrogen (C-N) ratio of 20-1. They make an excellent addition to your compost. Combined with browns such as leaves and straw, coffee grounds generate heat and will speed up the composting process.

Using coffee grounds in a worm bin: Worms fed with coffee grounds combined with other materials will flourish.

What's in Coffee Grounds? Starbucks commissioned a study in 1995 to better understand the make up of the organic matter we call coffee grounds. The following is the result of an analysis of our used coffee grounds performed by the University of Washington College of Forest Resources:

Primary Nutrients
Secondary Nutrients

Nitrogen 1.45%
Phosphorus ND ug/g
Potassium 1204 ug/g

Calcium 389 ug/g
Magnesium 448 ug/g
Sulfur high ug/g

Notes:

ND = indicates sample is below detection limit
ug/g = microgram / gram

Metro DC, MD(Zone 7a)

I tend to dump my coffee filter straight into the garden, particularly around the base of my acid loving plants...

ha ha ha- let's meet at Rip's Restaurant for drinks and dinner then go diving- reminds me of college~~ College Park.

"While the women did not test over the legal limit, they were laughing hysterically, and twelve bags of coffee-laden trash were found in the back of the van. Officers could not find a regulation prohibiting the theft of something somebody had thrown away."

Scotia, CA(Zone 9b)

sallyg, I am afraid that the bins here are posted "no tresspassing" so they would lock me up for trespass as an example to all the other crazed composters ot there.

I'll watch out, but I don't think I've noticed any NT signs on any here.

Scotia, CA(Zone 9b)

Yeah, it's probably a California thing. Businesses here are always afraid they will be sued for everything even when the person suing is at fault!

Metro DC, MD(Zone 7a)

Rip's ... They have wine & spirits shop. Good thinking, SG. Oh, and I hear that the food's pretty good, too.

We gotta find a place that serves chipotle or curry ice cream for you to try there.

Metro DC, MD(Zone 7a)

Okay, well then I'm putting Sally in charge of that one. She's a true "local."

I'm just south of Glen Burnout. We never heard of chipotle ice cream yet.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.