Chart of annual garden maintenance

Alexandria, VA(Zone 7b)

I've posted this question on the "Perennials" Forum: Does anyone know of a systhesis of information (in one list or place, not 50 books or websites) showing 'what type' of fertilizer to use 'when' on 'which' perennials and shrubs; when to deadhead or prune them; when to divide or move? Not a random month-by-month calendar--but a listing of the plant, followed by 12 months--saying what you do to, say, daylilies or mums during the course of a year?

There is so much NEW information/changed thinking these days: yes, fertilize in the fall (for root growth only); leave stalks stand in the fall garden (especially fall-bloomers like mums and asters; protects base plant from wind and holds protective snow in place); use LeafGro (compost) more than shredded hardwood mulch on top of beds (enriches the soil better, top dress with one inch of mulch); when dragging around a 50-pound bag of acid or akaline fertilizer--which plant gets what?; when to divide perennials; when to prune shrubs; dead-heading.
There are several books on Month-By-Month Gardening, and Master Gardener County offices have good resources, but all info is spread out. Am looking for a synopsis. Thanks, n

Shenandoah Valley, VA

Not that I've ever seen, assuming you're looking for something on one or two pages. Andre Viette has a month-to-month garden book for the Mid Atlantic that would at least be specific to this area.

Other than general info in books ("divide in fall") you're not going to find specific months listed because those months would depend on where you lived.

I've never heard of anyone using alkaline fertilizer. There are acid fertilizers but you would only use them if your soil isn't already acid for plants that have to have acid soil like hollies. If your soil is acid and you need to sweeten it, you can sprinkle a little garden lime in the fall.

Alexandria, VA(Zone 7b)

This 'chart' (25 pages) I plan to synthesize will be for zones 6a to 7b. Some examples of non-acid 'alkaline fertilizers' are bonemeal, Plant-Tone, clam or oyster shells (ground), lime, sulphur, wood ash, gypsum (calcium sulfate).

Plants which prefer alkaline soil include acanthus, achillea, yew, dianthus, ash, hibiscus moscheuto, some ferns, aconitum, boxwood, clematis, heuchera, scabiosa, hawthorn, elder, euonymus japonicus, gypsophila, veronica, verbascum, bergenia, grasses, cranesbill, columbine, linium, viola, campanula lactiflora, centranthus, elder, wooley thyme, salvia, silene, rose of sharon, iberis, hen and chicks, burning bush, lilac, Am. linden, sidalcea, crab apple--see anything here you did not know liked alkaline? I certainly did!

Shenandoah Valley, VA

Planttone isn't particularly alkaline. I use it all the time. Garden sulfur is actually used to acidify soil so for goodness sakes don't use it trying to raise your soil's ph. Gypsum is neutral and doesn't do anything to the soil ph.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.