Seed confiscation at Customs??

Baytown, TX(Zone 9b)

I was hoping maybe one day out plant data base would have each plant with something in red saying it was outlawed federally or possibly the list of states. It would be no more work than the info that is already in the data base. I also would like to see these plants such as water hyacinth not on anyone's trade list. But that is in a perfect world :)

Everett, WA(Zone 8a)

At least links to the invasive lists ... my guess is that the state and federal lists are changing frequently.

Also I wonder how realistic they are. The range of climates in one state is huge, and anything politically driven leaves me with some skepticism.

For example, in the PNW, there are inland deserts, mountains, and us coastal people treading water 8 months each year. (I suppose the scary tjhing is that a bird might swallow a seed in one climate zone and drop it 2-3 zones away.)

I got a sense that the water spinach should have been outlawed much sooner and much more completely in Florida - but it was a salable crop that someone was making money on, while it turned some waterways in the everglades into Thailand.

What you describe would certainly be an improvement - and in a perfect world would be a BUIG improvemenet ... but I'll keep asking my local Master Gardeners. I think the people on the MG phone line like to get a chance to chat.

Corey

Liberty Hill, TX(Zone 8a)

" (I suppose the scary tjhing is that a bird might swallow a seed in one climate zone and drop it 2-3 zones away.)"

That would be the least of my worries. Nature takes care of itself (for the most part). Its not an effective way to transport pests or diseases. ITs been going on for ions, long before the internet or the mail. Its actually the "natural" way that species spread.

Baytown, TX(Zone 9b)

Yes it is natures way unless it is one continent to another. That is how fire ants, Kudzu and so on...http://www.jjanthony.com/kudzu/

But those pest didn't get from one area to another on their own. They were transported on plant material or fruit, veggies. By humans usually aboard cargo ships.

Sioux Falls, SD

Just put my permit paperwork through. We'll see how it goes. Stopped in at the local ag office just to prove I wasn't a robot and to get my government clearance bumped up to a level 2. Took all of five minutes. Hopefully the rest of the process is this smooth. I have a shipment from South Africa due within the next month. I've never had a seed shipment confiscated yet, but it's always the things you're really looking forward to that end up tied up in knots. I'll keep y'all updated.

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7a)

I guess I sort of avoid thinking of the seed import as illegal as I'm not dragging a live plant, soil or fresh fruit/veg into the country. I tend to think of seeds as completely dormant and relatively harmless. I probably assume most of what I want is not harmful as I don't really go too far out of the typical annual/perennial selections available to me in the states. I just want different named varieties or heirloom types of sweet peas, cosmos, dierama, aquilegia etc. I don't venture into tropicals or native plants which tend to be the more aggressive/invasives in certain situations.

dmac-sorry it doesnt work that way. You may not think of them as plant material but they are. Im not even worried about invasive but pathogens and pests. Many pathogens are seed born and may be inadvertently brought in by seeds to an area that has never been exposed before. This pathogen can then spread to native species and kill them off too. We've all heard of this happening in the animal kingdom. Im puzzled as to way people are so reluctant to acknowledge that this happens in the plant world to. I guess people can justify anything if they want it bad enough.

If it were legal nobody would have to lie or smuggle to get it in the country. EVERYTIME I have entered the country even from the Caribbean The customs form mentioned seeds as well as other plant material and Ive been pulled out of line and searched by customs. No, I had nothing on me to hide. If Customs considers seeds a problem there must be a reason for it. I guess I never realized the lengths individuals would go to, to do something illiegal. If people werent doing this Customs would have more time to spend on more important things. If you really want the seeds why dont you get a small lot permit?

Sorry for the rant but to be honest Im shocked that so many people would knowingly justify breaking the law so they could get what they want or because they dont consider it plant material rather then get a small lot permit and do it legally.

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7a)

Rant away if you feel it=) I actually never said it did work that way...just rattling on about my rosecolored assumtions and misconceptions. I completely understand what you're saying though. I've only purchased from England once years ago. I do have the process started for a small seed lot permit--actually started it about 3 yrs ago and lost interest in it. Trust me, I find plenty stateside. More than I'll ever use in my lifetime I suspect.

I think the internet has opened up avenues of communication for seed/plant enthusiasts worldwide and through online purchasing things have gotten more tempting for people who would not even be aware of those options without the computer. It's the same bit of temptation that makes me almost put that new intro $60 iris in my online cart...I can live with coveting from afar, seeds and new intro iris:lol:

Dmac-thank you for not being defensive. I agree the Internet has opened up many options that simply were not there before. Buying from a reputable vender overseas is different then trading tho. If the vendor has all the correct paperwork our customs agents know it and let the plant materials in. Different countries =different policies. Trading plant materials and mislabeling them to get them through can introduce unseen pests and pathogens like mold and fungus. I have a fungus in my tomato garden that is suppose to only be found in Ca. how it got here I have no idea. Maybe it's been here all along and underreported.

I have a DG friend that named a Daylily after a friend of mines son that was killed in the War overseas last year. The DGer lives in TX my friend lives in Ca. The Dger wanted the family to have the first off spring(fan) so she called the USDA a young, cute inspector came out inspected the plant told her what to do to ship it to Ca.(that state has strict laws)gave her the paperwork and it's good to go. it took her three days. She could have just stuck it in a box.

OBTW you can stick the 60.00 iris in your cart,just don't check out. LOL

Sioux Falls, SD

Small seed lot permit was approved yesterday. I think they've really streamlined the process in the last few years. Granted, I probably had it easier than most because I live in South Dakota, which has a) a large agricultural community, and b) a small population, so popping into and out of government offices is relatively easy. I would never have tried it when I lived in California.

Lake Toxaway, NC(Zone 7a)

I haven't read this whole long thread but there are two basic reasons that plant materials are generally banned. One is the possibility of disease, and the other is concerns that plants will become invasive. Never forget Kudzu.

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.