Seed confiscation at Customs??

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Terese - all the seeds I sent you (which I see got confiscated) were still in the original commercial seed packets, though I had opened them all and they were all only partial packets.

What a drag.

Geez, sent some to Gourd (Antoinette) too, hope she gets them - they were all in little brown coin envies though, no commercial packets....

Joanne :(

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Sent some to beckygardener in Florida too; wonder if they'll make it....

Netcong, NJ(Zone 5b)

I've had various Convolvulaceae sent to me from all over the world since the 60's and have never had any seeds confiscated...

The time of year may have something to do with confiscations >Election time(hype is very commonly more effective than truth) and many Holiday packages are sent at this time of year and the border 'protection' related agencies hire a lot of extra 'rookies' to help 'cope' with the added volume...seems like they just enjoy playing petty bureaucrats > more laws = more jobs...

Sometimes what port the seeds enter the country can make a difference...luckily and apparently the New York metro area doesn't have the notion to fiddle around with flower seeds...

Only one letter from Norway was opened by "Border Protection" this past summer but they apparently examined the unlabeled(!) seeds,re-taped up the letter and sent them on to me...

Good luck...(!)

Ron

Edinburg, TX

Some seeds are cut open to see if there are any pests (ie. microorgansims) inside - you'd be surprised at the critters, bacteria and mold they harbor. Some countries also use chemicals and pesticides that are banned in the US. Residue can have lingering effects.

Seeds that are confiscated by CBP are incinerated - big stuff like avocados and mangos are put down an industrial garbage disposal. An officer can lose their job in a heartbeat if they tried to take any seeds home to plant in their garden.

It's pretty much a crap shoot...but writing "SEEDS" or "LIVE PLANTS" and "Handle With Care" etc. are red flags. Wish the drug dealers would make life easier and label their fedex and mail packages so conveniently - heh heh :o)

...as for playing petty bureaucrats - it's all relative to what side of the bathroom door you're on :o)

Phytosanitary certificates from country of origin as well as small lot permits work. Check out the aphis websites given above or contact your local USDA office.

~ Cat

Franklin, WI(Zone 5a)

Sounds familiar...A couple years ago I had seeds confiscated by Chicago customs that I had ordered from Japan. It seems to be more common in the Chicago area as opposed to other ports of entry (from what I've read). They do seem to be cracking down....I even had a postal worker ask me WHAT was in my bubble envelope when I mailed it a couple weeks ago.....and it was only headed down south!

Jasper, AR(Zone 7a)

I have had seeds from Chilterns in England confiscated. When I had them mailed in a plain envy instead of padded they came right on through. I did jump through all the required hoops and got an import permit for plant material from malaysia. Everything was good until the package was lost in customs in LA for 8 weeks--needless to say nothing was viable when it arived. The seller insured the package--but it would not pay--since the package eventually arrived AND the problem was in customs. I was out $$$. Learned a BIG lesson there!
Tommie

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

The ironic thing about having those seeds confiscated is that at least a couple of the packets were from Thompson & Morgan. And guess where they are shipped from to Canada - New Jersey! LOL.

Joanne

Venice, CA(Zone 10a)

Hey Guys; For the record, I order rare seeds from a company in S.Africa and Phyto Cert. for non commercial use costs $35.00.This is a No Brainer.And I always receive the seeds that I ordered.

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

zebraman.... my guess is they do not come thru chicago, where the both of us had our problems. *sigh*

if i have to go thru this again, i will certainly use the permit.

Jasper, AR(Zone 7a)

Might add- mine came through Texas.

Winnipeg, MB(Zone 2b)

I wrote about !@#$ this on another thread last year. Can't find the thread now.

This has been a real mess, that Homeland Security thinks baddies can be found in seeds. The lily and iris societies collect seeds from all over thw world for their seed exchanges. The first year this new H S rule came into force, very precious species seeds were confiscated as they were sent without a phyto.

Now the various societies have a main collection point in most continents. The seeds are then inspected and sent to USA with a phyto.

If you are sending seeds from Canada to USA my advice is do not declare them. Put them in with a fairly thick birthday/Christmas card or similar. That way they should get through. This is what I'm doing anyway and mine have all arrived safely.

Iris seeds & lilium bulbils are a bit difficult as they are fat, too fat for an envelope. These I send in a box, a matchbox inside another box. I declare them as 'kitchen ornament' . This has worked so far.

Of course, I'm talking about sending seeds from Canada to US. Canada allows seeds to be sent in the mail.

inanda

scio, oregon, OR(Zone 8a)

I just got seeds from Thailand, no problem. How do you know what big city they are recieved in?

Bessemer, AL(Zone 8b)

they tell you on the customs form they stick in your envy

hmm...no customs form on mine, so maybe that's why it got through!

Bessemer, AL(Zone 8b)

yeah, they would let you know if they opened them

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

I do enjoy the spirit of sharing the joy of gardening, but as far as inadvertently spreading the disease organisms that may be transport with seeds/plants. The issue make me think twice.
I sent a Passiflora vine to someone that really adores the flower, my first DG's sent off ever. Later from her post I understood that she's found some weeds (unknown to her area/garden prior to having her passi being sent to her from various fellow DGers - which I'm one). When I sent mine, it was a bare-root vine wrapped in moist sphagnum moss. I felt bad, however, the identified weeds is common to my region. Could some seeds have hiked the ride with my passi? I'll never know. I'd rather be safe than be sorry. For me, my garden as well as the receipient that I intended to share joy, and not frustration that accompanies the plants/seeds.

Saint Cloud, MN(Zone 4b)

Hi, I hope this doesn't happen to me...I have traded with South Africa, Canada, UK, France, Spain, Germany, Italy, Netherlands, and now Sweden-so far no missing seeds...but I am being smart from here on out :o) I am getting a permit. Sorry to everyone who has had trouble Robbi

I tried to find the Small Lot Seed Permit on that site and can't find it anywhere. Can someone who found it show me where they have it hidden?

Venice, CA(Zone 10a)

Hey ByndeweedBeth; Try placing an order.When you get haveway through the "checkout process and Phyto-Cert is required,the info will show up.-

Sorry, but place an order for what? Oh, these gov. web sites! Who designed these?

Houston, United States(Zone 9b)

Lily said:

Quoting:
I do enjoy the spirit of sharing the joy of gardening, but as far as inadvertently spreading the disease organisms that may be transport with seeds/plants. The issue make me think twice.
I sent a Passiflora vine to someone that really adores the flower, my first DG's sent off ever. Later from her post I understood that she's found some weeds (unknown to her area/garden prior to having her passi being sent to her from various fellow DGers - which I'm one). When I sent mine, it was a bare-root vine wrapped in moist sphagnum moss. I felt bad, however, the identified weeds is common to my region. Could some seeds have hiked the ride with my passi? I'll never know. I'd rather be safe than be sorry. For me, my garden as well as the receipient that I intended to share joy, and not frustration that accompanies the plants/seeds.

Thanks for pointing this out. Reading the first posts I thought...huh that's rude trashing the seeds. But then after your post I did remember, there are MANY catalog nurseries that have many plants and trees they are prohibited from selling to even some states and they will note that.

Jasper, AR(Zone 7a)

I am thinking that the small lot seed permit is only valid for imports from Canada. The Phyto-certificate is usually paid for during purchase from a specific vendor. I did have it (small lot import permit) bookmarked, will see if I can find the link and post it. The plant material import permit for other countries is also free--will try to find the link for that as well.
Tommie

I would appreciate any help..

Jasper, AR(Zone 7a)

OK :) here is the link, go to this page and then create an account
http://search.usda.gov/search?q=cache:_lCdkuEzLrQJ:http://www.aphis.usda.gov/import_export/plants/plant_imports/smalllots_seed.shtml+small+lot+seed+import&access=p&output=xml_no_dtd&ie=UTF-8&client=usda&num=10&site=usda&proxystylesheet=OC

Tommie

Forgot---I don't think you need to create an account if you want to print & fax or mail forms

This message was edited Nov 21, 2007 6:12 PM

ipswich, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

Hillbilly_Gran, the small seed permit is *not* just for Canada. It works for Europe as well, as I understand it.

Townsville, Australia(Zone 10a)

Hi All,

I thought that Australia were the only strict ones with seeds, looks like other countries are catching on. I send quite a few lots off seeds to the U.S. and being from Oz I have to put a customs declaration on them I always say that they are seeds and there has been no probs thus far.

Here we have a very up to date list off what seeds are allowed in, so as long as they are on the 'list' all is great.

I just think that you guys should have a list like ours with all the allowed species and that cuts out all the dramas.I am sure that there are way to much mail coming in to check everything.

Good Luck and Happy Germinating,

Annette

Greenville, IN(Zone 6a)

I just sent some seeds to France I hope they aren't too strict, I did the customs form at the Post Office they always give me a paper to fill out and I send seeds all the time to Australia, knock on wood, haven't had any trouble yet but if they are cracking down.....My paper I fill out at the post office has a place to list the seeds on it and they want the right name for them not the common.

Inland S.E QLD , Australia

I agree Annette,I too send seed to the US and elsewhere all the time and have never had a problem...they have always reached their destination.But I always declare what they are(botanical name)on the customs declaration..and also make sure the seed is clean and uncontaminated.I also check that all seed is sealed in a separate pack and named.It is up to the person who is to receive the seeds to know what is allowed into their country.I also receive seed and have not as yet had any problems ...I just ask the person from the other end to do the same..it all works out well

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

The seeds that I sent to tsc1366 had a customs form on it, and I think I said "flower seeds" on the customs form. They were confisticated.
I sent a similar packet, same words on the packet to another American DG member at the same time, and she got them yesterday, no problem. This summer I sent some seeds to a member in San Antonio, with the customs form on the packet, but had written "Morning Glory seeds" on the customs form; that member also got the seeds. So, there's a lack of consistency here with respect to what gets through and what doesn't. I know for sure that I wouldn't send any valuable or irreplaceable seeds to the US through regular mail - way too risky. I probably won't risk trading anymore; it isn't fair if I get my seeds from someone in the US and they don't get mine. Too bad; it's so fun to trade.

Joanne

Venice, CA(Zone 10a)

Hey BWBeth; I was referring to International Seed Co.s that might require a Phyto Cert.On the Grin site above try
http://www.aphis.usda.gov/import_export/index.shtml

thanks!

Halifax, MA(Zone 6a)

Here is a prohibited listing for USA to Canada: http://www.inspection.gc.ca/english/plaveg/internat/d-94-14lste.shtml

And this one is International to Canada: http://www.inspection.gc.ca/english/plaveg/oper/prohibintere.shtml

Moe

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Woo hoo!
The seeds I sent to Becky in Florida got there!

Okay, so that's three successful trades to the U.S. and one confiscated trade.

Joanne

Halifax, MA(Zone 6a)

Hi Joanna,
What were the seeds, that you sent, that got confiscated? And what state did you send them to? It might be that those seeds might be prohibited in that state.

Moe

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

Moe -- they were 3 types of morning glories. and they came thru chicago customs, where they were confiscated. I live in IL, but the other gal i believe is in AL and her's also came thru chicago and were also taken and destroyed.

Halifax, MA(Zone 6a)

Quoting:
Hmm.... I'll check and see if any Ipomoea's are prohibited in either state.

Moe

Well I checked and these are the only prohibited Ipomoea listed. The states are prohibiting them are listed after the plant name. So they shouldn't have confiscated them, if they weren't on the prohibited list.

Ipomoea L.: AZ, AR http://plants.usda.gov/java/profile?symbol=IPOMO

Ipomoea aquatica: AL, CA, FL, HI, MA, NC, OR, TX & VT http://plants.usda.gov/java/profile?symbol=IPAQ

Ipomoea carnea / I. fistulosa: FL http://plants.usda.gov/java/profile?symbol=IPCAF

Ipomoea triloba: AZ, FL & SC http://plants.usda.gov/java/profile?symbol=IPTR2

Ipomoea turbinata: AR & SC http://plants.usda.gov/java/profile?symbol=IPTU3

Moe

This message was edited Nov 29, 2007 9:41 PM

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

thanks Moe -- do you happen to have links to any sites for IL? or even US
you posted ones for CA, and that will be helpful if i ever send seeds there again.

Terese

Halifax, MA(Zone 6a)

Here is the list from the USDA:
Prohibited Plant Status: Federal & State: http://plants.usda.gov/java/noxComposite?stateRpt=yes

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

thanks.

Halifax, MA(Zone 6a)

You're welcome.

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.