Turn a gazebo into a greenhouse

Covington, LA(Zone 8b)

I have a nice, sturdy 10x10' gazebo with a hipped roof and cupola. The frame is metal. Like the stuff you see at Lowes. Have any of you tried to make a greenhouse out of one? Since most of the framing is done, it seems like the rest might not be too hard.
Has anyone seen a kit for doing this? Too much to hope for , huh.
Suggestions welcomed.
Johanna

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

Someone else posted a thread here not too long ago about how they just attached greenhouse plastic all around their gazebo and turned it into a greenhouse that way. I did a similar thing with a covered patio at my old house. It won't hold the heat as well as something like polycarbonate, but you're not in a very cold zone so it might work fine for you.

San Antonio, TX

Home made greenhouse

Thumbnail by Anaid
San Antonio, TX

old plastic from another greenhouse & duct tape

Thumbnail by Anaid
San Antonio, TX

Thumbnail by Anaid
San Antonio, TX

it isnt as warm as a real gh but it is allowing my plants to continue to grow and bloom.....see my baby Hibs

Thumbnail by Anaid
Covington, LA(Zone 8b)

Anaid, Thanks for the photos.That is a good start. I put up galvanized pipe and hung clear shower curtain liners 2 yrs ago. (Not as good as what you did.)This extended the year by allowing me to close the curtains on cool nights. I would finally move all of the plants to my small greenhouse, which I outgrew this summer.
I am hoping to get sheets of rigid greenhouse walls that can go up for winter and come down in spring. The roof will be harder to make--but I might use plastic sheeting over the canvas. The floor is raised treated wood with spaces between the 2x4s. I thought outdoor carpeting would keep out the wind.
Louisiana has 2 wks in fall and 2 wks in spring to enjoy a gazebo. The rest of the year it is hot and buggy or cool and wet. I have 2 porches for those times.

What's life without a puzzle or 2 to solve?
Johanna

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

I'd be careful with the outdoor carpeting, unless you have a way to prevent any water from getting on it when you water the plants or when it rains if your roof isn't completely watertight (unless it's the outdoor carpeting that feels really plastic-y rather than like carpet, that stuff would be OK but the stuff that feels like carpet will be a problem). Otherwise it's going to hold onto too much water and will increase your chances of fungal problems. It won't provide much insulation, but you could consider putting down landscape fabric, at least that will allow water to drain through and it won't stay wet.

Covington, LA(Zone 8b)

Thanks ecrane,
That is true about the carpet holding water. I will reconsider. I do have some left over landscaping fabric. I hope to have a leakproof roof. And walls.
Hummm...
Johanna

San Antonio, TX

I have two smaller green houses but I couldnt put my large plants into it thats why I did that with the gazebo. I've just found another frame on Craigslist and they're not asking much for it. Im gonna check it out cuz I'd like the idea of a larger greenhouse that I can work in all year and also be able to turn around in. Thats how small my small ones are..........lol

Thumbnail by Anaid
Devine, TX

I just found this discussion. I have a gazebo that I plan to turn into a greenhouse and I'd like any info possible on how others have done this. I am especially interested in whether I should keep the canvas roof on or replace it with plastic. Hanging 6 mil plastic for the walls sounds easy, but putting plastic on the roof sounds like more of a challenge. I live west of San Antonio TX, so I'm hoping this would do the trick.

Kingman, AZ(Zone 7b)

I really like this idea for a quick set up. We have a foreclosed house around the corner with one of those metal gazebos and of course like most of them around here the canvas is torn from the wind. I might check into seeing if I can have it. But there are lots of them around town with tops torn off, even my neighbors which has a cool roof design. I had originally thought of putting up plastic in my patio area. How does one go about that in case I don't get my greenhouse down, I have two walls to secure, two are the house. How would you keep in as air tight as possible? This is my patio.

This message was edited Sep 13, 2009 12:23 AM

Thumbnail by curvesarein
Covington, LA(Zone 8b)

I have had more than one canvas roof in the 8 yrs that I have had a gazebo. I do not like the cheap quality of the hard to find replacements . These tear easily. I gave up on waterproof and bought a wind screen for a tennis court. It has gromets on 4 sides. I cut it in half, hemmed the cut edge, added gromets, and tied it on the frame. It is tough plastic mesh that allows wind and rain to come thru the fabric--about as tight as burlap. I am surprised at how little rain falls on the plants under it. It shades very well. I know you want a roof for protection in cold weather and this is not it. But as an alternative to canvas or shade cloth, this works for me.
Johanna

Devine, TX

Flicker--Thanks for the suggestion. This is the type of advice I need.

Baytown, TX(Zone 9a)

We hang the heavy duty clear shower curtains from WalMart, overlapping them on the corners on both our gazebo and covered patio. We still have the green canvas cover for the gazebo and just fasten that over the palm fronds that are already there making my "hut" during the Spring and summer.

We don't have very many days or nights that gets below 28 for only a few hours.

We have also done the same to our covered patio and a swingset frame last year. It cost under $60 which is cheap for a greenhouse!

We did not cover the ground in any of them. We protected plumerias, tropical hibiscus, house plants, some tropicals. We will do the same this year both to the gazebo and covered patio usually the end of Oct, or mid Nov.

We are supposed to have a mild winter according to the Almanac.

Thumbnail by Texasgal77
Baytown, TX(Zone 9a)

Swingset conversion

Thumbnail by Texasgal77
Baytown, TX(Zone 9a)

We are going to put hooks in the exterior wall of the house and run wire around the perimeter to hang the industrial strenth shower curtains on for the covered patio. We used the cheap plastic shower curtain hooks from the dollar store. We overlapped the corners for added protection. You can use duct tape if you want to secure it better. Be sure to get the heavy duty type at Lowe's. I think it is called Gorrilla tape.

Good luck!

St. Louis County, MO(Zone 5a)

Texasgal is right about the tape, regular duct tape glue will melt if it gets really hot - learned the hard way :D

Baytown, TX(Zone 9a)

Our problem with the cheap tape was it getting wet.

It was suggested to use roll plastic on the swingset. It is more expensive, but you don't have to connect it together as much because it is wider. That is a good idea, I too speak from experience LOL! If you have the money it would be less trouble in the long run.

Devine, TX

I tried hanging plastic from the rails of the gazebo (where the screened curtains are supposed to hang). All was well until a strong wind came up, and rails of the gazebo started to creak loudly and come apart where they slide together. It appeared to be the resistance created by the wind hitting the plastic, as I have another identical gazebo that I hadn't put plastic on. As soon as I removed the plastic, the creaking stopped. So, to make a greenhouse from a gazebo, the problem of those rails must be solved.

Covington, LA(Zone 8b)

An update of my Sept comment on the tennis court wind screen.
FORGET IT! It was up all summer in full sun and doing very well. But we have had lots of rain and a few windy storms in October. The wind screen ripped to pieces! Another "good idea" gone wrong.

Back to square 1.
:0(

Kingman, AZ(Zone 7b)

I've got my greenhouse walls up and the roof trusses are made, perhaps we will get them up tommorrow. I started a new thread with pictures or you can go to Greenhouses out of old windows. WE have some real heavy sign canvas that a friend gave us. It has been in the garage for years, we were going to make a sail cover out of it. But now it looks like it will become our roof and double side it, white on top and inside. Maybe even enough to put on the floor. Since this is on the south side and hot I am worried about it getting too hot. I may decide to grow a jasmine evergreen vine up it by attaching chicken wire to the outside windows. I have water right there. Also thinking of clearing out those barrels and making a brick patio there with the almost 300 used brick I got for free. I also have shutters I am putting up on the front. A dutch door too. I am thinking I should paint this white, what do you all think? Then it will look just like the inspiration picture I have on the greehouse out of old windows forum.

This message was edited Nov 8, 2009 12:07 AM

Thumbnail by curvesarein
Baytown, TX(Zone 9a)

Fantastic! Looks like you are doing a great job!

(Tracey) Mobile, AL(Zone 8b)

Curves, That looks really good!!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.