Jade Plant

Allen Park, MI(Zone 6a)

I have a reader who has had a jade plant for 20 years. It is now blooming for the first time.

Is this unusual? As you can probably tell, I don't know much about houseplants.

Paul

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

I see people growing them outdoors and they bloom regularly. I don't think they bloom quite as often indoors because they're not quite as happy there as they would be outdoors (in an appropriate climate of course!) so they won't always bloom, but if you get the conditions right then they certainly can.

SW, WI(Zone 4b)

There are a few folks here on DG who take their Jade plants outdoors for the summer that often get blooms after they bring them back indoors.

I would suppose that maturity /age has a lot to do with the fact that it's blooming, (in addition to the proper conditions noted by ecrane) but, hey, mine has never bloomed!

Someone is taking very good care of their Jade!

Brownsville, KY(Zone 6a)

The only blooming jade I ever saw was in a nursery. It was a huge multiple branched plant several feet tall. I've had one for several years, but it has yet to bloom. I take it outside every summer, too. Guess it's just not old enough yet.

Minneapolis, MN(Zone 4a)

I have a large old jade that goes outside every summer; it might be 25 or 30 year old. In the last 5 or 7 years or so, it has been blooming inside in the fall and winter when it is inside. I think the initiating of the buds must be related to being out and being mature, and maybe the cooler nights before it come in. But in the house, when it blooms, only the parts of the plant that get good enough light in the house actually bloom.

A year or so ago, there was a picture on DG of a stunning jade that someone on the east coast had. I am thinking that it was blooming in the picture, where he was hauling it indoors.

Susan in Minneapolis

Allen Park, MI(Zone 6a)

I'll post a picture after I get over there.

Paul

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

My Jade is a good 30 years old and has never bloomed. I've never taken it outside. I don't think I've ever seen one bloom. Interesting.

(Zone 1)

Look at this one in Plant Files that shows blooms! Pretty!

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/88848/

and .... this one has no flowers but look at the color of those leaves! Gorgeous!

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/100321/

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Thanks Lin, I'll have to ask my FIL if his has ever flowered. He lives in Fl and he has a couple that are out side year round. I guess I may have to put mine outside next summer and see what happens.

Saint James, MO(Zone 6b)

Boy, if all of them that I have ever bloomed I would be in Heaven! After all my Lowe's shopping sprees, I don't even know how many I do have! They are wonderful specimens for bonsais!

Thumbnail by mistygardener
Saint James, MO(Zone 6b)

I just adore Jade!

Thumbnail by mistygardener

I have one that I have had for over 20 yrs. It stays outside all the time, but has never bloomed!

Thumbnail by
Minneapolis, MN(Zone 4a)

Blooms on an old but happy plant.

Susan in Minnneapolis

Thumbnail by smkennedy

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.