Need help identifying a turtle

Panhandle, FL(Zone 8a)

oh, a grape eh? will have to go to the store. white or purple?
thanks trois...he is sitting at the steps looking up, wanting to come in i think.

Santa Fe, TX(Zone 9b)

Purple.

PERTH, Australia

What a thrill that he's back. What does the pink mark look like now? Any different to when you last saw him?

Panhandle, FL(Zone 8a)

The pink mark seems to be flaking off just a tad but is still very much there. He slept under a low shelf we have on the carport against the wall. Here is a pic of the pink spot now.

Thumbnail by weeds
Panhandle, FL(Zone 8a)

Here he is having a swim, or nap I mean.

Thumbnail by weeds
Panhandle, FL(Zone 8a)

He heard me come out and talk to him so decided to come to see me.

Thumbnail by weeds
Panhandle, FL(Zone 8a)

Here is a close up during one of his food fests.

Thumbnail by weeds
PERTH, Australia

What a little darling.

Panhandle, FL(Zone 8a)

Thank you...he is cute!
Do you know if he will bite? He keeps trying to get next to (touch) my hand or foot and I am not sure what he wants!

Santa Fe, TX(Zone 9b)

Only if he thinks you will taste good.

Panhandle, FL(Zone 8a)

Do I look like a purple grape, trois????
I will get up the courage to let him get real close and
see what he does. Just don't know which I want dhewed on,
my finger or toe.
He was hiding under the car this morning with his back to me. I called his name and he started inching his way to me.
He knows his name! I know the reason for the saying....slow as a turtle now.

Williamsburg, MI(Zone 4b)

I think Charlie was definately someone's pet and then released to the wild. For him to actually seek out human companionship and actly come in contact with you would be uheard of in a wild turtle. I wouldn't worry about him biting as long as your finger was not right in front of his mouth. One of ours uses to come up and nose and lightly nip our toes, but NEVER to the point it hurt. Wild turtles, especially wood turtles can deliver a strong bite, but it takes a lot to ge them angry enough to do it. I would think he is looking for a hand out of fruit or something.

I'm so glad he's back!

There is anectodital evidence that box turtles recognise diffrent people and remember them for long periods. There was a couple in England who had a boxie for many years, they divorced and when the wife (who had custody of the pet) died, the turtle stopped eating for many weeks. A realative mentioned it to the ex husband and he asked to see the turtle. It sat listless in the cage untill it heard the elderly gentleman's voice. He offered it food and the turtle ate. Needless to say, he kept the turtle.

Panhandle, FL(Zone 8a)

WOW. That story is very interesting. My mother loves Charlie and spends lots of time out there with him but he will not come to her and just hides if I am not around. Sad cause she is his best fan. I am hoping he will get use to her and become HERS, not mine, I have enough animals.

Santa Fe, TX(Zone 9b)

Mine disappeared for 6 years, and when we were on the back patio eating grapes (purple) I felt something poking my ankle to get my attention. After eating several grapes it went away again. Never saw it again as we sold that house and moved.

Panhandle, FL(Zone 8a)

They are surely strange characters! Where did you live then?

Santa Fe, TX(Zone 9b)

In Houston, but the turtle came from New Mexico.

Panhandle, FL(Zone 8a)

Did you bring him with you or did he tell you he was from NM?

Santa Fe, TX(Zone 9b)

A traveling friend dropped it off after telling about how she resqued it from a garbage can where someone had placed it. We fed it and turned it loose in the back yard, where it seemed happy for a long time. Then 6 years of not being seen, then grapes.

Panhandle, FL(Zone 8a)

Sounds like a traveling salesman story!
Did you try to give him other food too or did you know he liked grapes? I hope they didn't kill him!

Santa Fe, TX(Zone 9b)

At first it roamed about the yard, eating bugs, figs that the squirrel dropped, mullberries that fell, dog food sometimes, in other words, a well rounded diet, picked by itself. It survived 6 years after first eating grapes, so I guess they didn't kill it.
I don't know the gender of the turtle. Why do you call it "him"? Not PC.

lol

Panhandle, FL(Zone 8a)

trois, you took your funny pill this morning didn't you?

I call him a HE because HIS name is Charlie.

Santa Fe, TX(Zone 9b)

I know a girl named Charlie.
I was referring to my former box turtle.

Panhandle, FL(Zone 8a)

Was he named Charlie too?

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

LOL

(Really enjoying this heartwarming and informative story, BTW)

Santa Fe, TX(Zone 9b)

I believe she said it's name wasd Turt.

Santa Fe, TX(Zone 9b)

A funny thing I remember is the expression on it's face when it came begging for grapes afterr 6 years. I placed the first one about a couple of inches in front of it's face, and in it's haste, it shot the grape like a pool ball into the corner pocket, about 30 feet away. (off the patieo) It raised it's head and watched it go. The second grape it crept up on and mashed it straight down. A quick learner.

Panhandle, FL(Zone 8a)

Sounds like one smart turt! Smarter than my two mutts for sure.
Join in scutler, we all need a laugh or two.

PERTH, Australia

Weeds, make sure everyone who drives the car checks under it before they drive off. This could prevent a tragedy.

Panhandle, FL(Zone 8a)

Margaret, I just went out and he was heading for bed under my car and I told my mother the same thing...MUST check under car before we leave.
He usually comes out of hiding when he hears me in the morning.
trois, went to the store and got purple grapes and the little s*** won't touch them. He is not hungry today though, think he ate too much on his first visit. He just took a long swim tody.

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

OMG, weeds,

That is too funny.

I was going to tell you that I can't add anything to this very touching and humorous story, because I don't know anything about turtles really. I see a good sized Eastern Box turtle around my property from time to time, but he or she does not seem to have acquired an appreciation for my wonderful personality yet. Every time I see him, I start trying to feed him (by putting various foods nearby), but he always gives me a quick "no thanks" before lumbering away.

The other thing I was going to tell you - and the reason I found your last comment so funny - is that judging from the way I wind up making grocery runs to get food and treats for the raccoons in my yard, I'm sure if I had a turtle that would come when he heard me or when I called him and who followed me around the yard I just know I'd be putting him in one of those shoulder bags for small dogs to cart him off to the grocery store to pick out his favorites. And look at you, having run out already to get him the grapes. LOL.

Oh, yes, please do be careful with the car. That could be such a tragedy. So glad to hear of others who have unconventional, wild 'pets'.

Panhandle, FL(Zone 8a)

Scutler, you have the raccoons eh? I don't have those that I know of but I do have possums. My dogs went nuts one night on the patio out back and I went out there and they had a possum cornered right on the patio. Well, I had always heard from my daddy about them playong possum so I assumed that is what he was doing and the dogs went on their way. I waited awhile cause I didn't want a dead possum on my porch in the morning.
after a sufficient amount of time, I decided THIS one was really dead and proceeded to scoop him up with a broom and dust pan, ha ha ha...he flipped over and ran like greased lightning.....scared the you know what outta me. Now I understand about playing possum, they do it for a very long time.

Putnam County, IN(Zone 5b)

Awww. so cool that Charlie is back!!

Panhandle, FL(Zone 8a)

Thanks nanny.....we are enjoying his company. We tried the dogfood and he loves it! But, prefers it softened in water. I think he is very old and has a hard time chewing, don't think he can see very good either. He is soaking in his tub right now.

Santa Fe, TX(Zone 9b)

I like my dog food soaked in water too!

Panhandle, FL(Zone 8a)

LOL trois.....you should have told me that in the first place.

Santa Fe, TX(Zone 9b)

Does that mean I am related to the turtle?

Panhandle, FL(Zone 8a)

now, how would i know? who's your daddy?

Plano, TX

we have had box turtles living in our yard for the past 15 years or so! we just love them--sometimes we don't see them for months (big yard with lots of dense areas to stay) and then out one comes!! right now there are two that we know of--and one comes to our back door for a treat quite often--we always find some fruit and he/she loves oranges, strawberries and peaches-oh and watermelon too--

Santa Fe, TX(Zone 9b)

This was how he looked in 1968.

Thumbnail by trois
Panhandle, FL(Zone 8a)

That is so much fun isn't it plano? Sometimes they are so friendly and tame, other times they ignore you.

trois, if he is not the horse, then I'd say you are not related to Charlie.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.