Seed addict...add to the list

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

1. Dining room tables, counterspace, desks, bureau tops, book shelves (well face it, pretty well all furniture) were made to dry, sort and package seed. That's why they were designed with flat tops.
2. Some fool keeps mis-naming the seed storage bins in my fridges "Veggie Bins". silly person.
3. All seed is born viable and should be given a chance to prove it.
3. "If you seed it, it will come" (eventually if you fool around with it enough).

oh no I'm not an addict. not at all. honest

Springfield, MA(Zone 6a)

Too funny! Well, I am definitely a seed addict . . . gee, I wonder how full my coffee can is . . . lol

Wheatfield, NY(Zone 6a)

Suzy, I think it's really indelicate of you to talk about the size of my can LOL I actually mailed off 3 other envies of 'donation' seeds today. I'm not getting anything back for those...so there! Besides, I think you're sneaking stuff in there when I'm not looking ;0)

dahlianut...love your list, especially the misnamed fridge drawers!

Gilmer, TX(Zone 8a)

My name is Lorraine and I am a seed-oholic, however I do not want help!!!!I'm sure others would like to see me get help, but too bad, their little interventions won't work.
When I first started "snatchin' I didn't take anything with me to hold them. So I helped Wal-Mart one day with some plants that were going to seed, just had to stick them in my purse, naturally they were all over the place and had no idea what they were
It will be different this year. Thank you for enabling and helping me learn to do this addiction better

Wheatfield, NY(Zone 6a)

Lorraine, you're funny :0)...but you're right. If you're going to do it, might as well do it right!

Gilmer, TX(Zone 8a)

OK, I'm officially jealous of all your seeds. I'm so excited with my little bitty box, but now that I know everyone else has much more than me, I'l a little let down.
Who is my sponsor. Please help me, the only thing that will help is that all the people who have too many seeds donate to poor little me. It would get me over my stumbling and get me on the way to recovery. JOKE!!! haha

South Venice, FL(Zone 9b)

DH put a new memory card in my camera, look what also came with it-

*BONUS* A pocket sized seed collector! It has an overhanging lid and snaps tight, is streamlined and fits in a pocket without a trace, perfect for 007 maneuvers!

Thumbnail by svplantingfool
Springfield, MA(Zone 6a)

LorraineR, trust me. This coming summer, collect seeds from your plants that set viable seeds (check Plant Files). Package them up and watch for seed swaps. I will be running one starting in September (watch for announcement in July ). This swap will be for "fantasy" plants (in honour of Bilbo and Frodo Baggins birthday Sept 22 - well every swap has to have a theme, right?)

Okay, so for the September swap, save seeds from plants with names like " Giant" or "dwarf" or "magic" or "goblin" or "mystic" or "merlin" or "Queen" or "knight" or "king" or "fairy" or "elf" etc. You get the idea!

Anyway, once you start on the swaps you will be overwhelmed with seeds. I joined DG last Jan 6 - and now I have over 260 types of seeds in my mini-bar fridge! I also bought seeds in July when they go on sale - some I bought specifically to parlay into more seeds with the swaps.

South Venice, FL(Zone 9b)

Sendor, I saw your name for the fantasy seed swap somewhere a couple weeks ago... already have a few pkts tagged just for that swap!

Springfield, MA(Zone 6a)

Yes! Yes! Yes! Well, I will be saving seeds from Pacific Giant delphiniums, and from Magic Fountain delphiniums, and I have ordered some more Bilbo Baggins viola seeds :-)

And I will probably have other stuff as well . . . :-)

Wheatfield, NY(Zone 6a)

Seandor, what a cool idea. Leave it you to come up with this. I have to start thinking now so I'll be ready...can't miss that one.

svpfool, imagine that coming with a camera accessory. the designer must be a seed collector, too ;0)

Lorraine, I'm in exactly the same position as Seandor. I just started collecting seeds last fall and I've traded the few plants I had that were good seed producers up to over 250 different kinds of seeds already. You can get almost anything you can imagine here. Yesterday I was thinking that it would be nice to plant some bluebonnets because my mom was a Texas native. I looked in the trades, found somebody with seeds, looked at their wants, matched up with something I have, the trader had great feedback, d-mailed, she answered already, agreed to the trade and I'll bet I'll have those bluebonnets before the end of the week.

Gilmer, TX(Zone 8a)

Oh, I'll be a seed saving fool from now on. There is no plant within 100 miles safe from me I will watch for that Robin, I should have lots of seed, now that I know where they are on some of the plants

Seandor, I'm reading The Silmarillion, the story is supposed to take place when the "middle earth" was first formed. Long time before Bilbo and Fodor. It's good, but you really have to concentrate to keep up.
Course it doesn't have any seeds, but oh well

Nelson, NH(Zone 5a)

There are many lovers of Middle Earth here at Dave's, Lorraine!

Wheeling, WV(Zone 6b)

Hi my name is Vera Jo
I'm a seed addict.

I collect seeds anywhere I can. At the end of the growing season I go to Lowes or anywhere that sells plants and raid their dead plants. The clerks usually just say sure take them or if they aren't busy go ahead and just take the seeds you want from the plants.

Springfield, MA(Zone 6a)

Egads! Now that's nerve! Well, I guess we have to satisfy our addictions somehow . . I admire your gutsyness! :-) (I bet there are lots of other DG members that do the same thing lol)

Wheatfield, NY(Zone 6a)

Oh, I'll bet there are, too LOL. Anywhere there is an unguarded seed, we'll be there.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

ok I'll admit it (blush). I've rescued seed from centerpieces on tables in a restaurant. oh no I'm not an addict. honest. (blush)

edit: are we hoping for an intervention? Personally I would like more advice on smoozing techniques for rescuing seed in danger. Personally I feel its all about seed safety :)

This message was edited Feb 5, 2008 8:32 PM

This message was edited Feb 5, 2008 8:33 PM

Wheatfield, NY(Zone 6a)

'Seed Safety' is now officially our new watchword. thank you to dahlianut. everything we do is with an eye to rescuing seed in danger of perishing needlessly. we who know how to save seed can put it in nice safe containers until we are able to provide it with a new home in nice fresh germination mix or adopt it out to another lover of seeds who is pre-screened and we know will provide it with a good home as well.

yeah, that's the ticket.

Gilmer, TX(Zone 8a)

I actually think we need to do a march in Washington , everyone else does!! We could have banners that say "We are for seed
safety" and Seed Savers Unite. We could also picket houses where they don't save their seeds.
Now we just have to find out who they are.
Do you think the FBI has a list they could give to us

Nelson, NH(Zone 5a)

ROTFLMAO You all are tooo funny!

Alameda, CA(Zone 9b)

I think we need a "Seed Search & Rescue" unit.

Gilmer, TX(Zone 8a)

Hey, that would be cool, but you'll have to get an old volkswagon van with flowers all over it so we have the proper "ride" while we're searching

Wheatfield, NY(Zone 6a)

I'm up for that! A return to the 60's 'flower power'

we can distribute some sort of marker for houses where people don't save their seeds so we will know it is ok to 'trespass' and nab those seeds

Springfield, MA(Zone 6a)

I love this! We could start a movement!

Gilmer, TX(Zone 8a)

Hey, we have to havae shirts that say "Seed Savers Unite" or something

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

How about "Have you saved a Seed today?"

Springfield, MA(Zone 6a)

hahahahah - well, I guess it will depend how how "seed" is interpretted!

Gilmer, TX(Zone 8a)

You're bad. Guess we'll have to say "Have you saved a "flower" seed today!!!

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

LOL you naughty seeders.

Springfield, MA(Zone 6a)

heeheeheehee

Wheatfield, NY(Zone 6a)

{giggle}

Wheeling, WV(Zone 6b)

I'm a seed saver to, I loved reading all your posts...

Wheatfield, NY(Zone 6a)

VeraJo, I'm glad you enjoyed our silliness :0)

Springfield, MA(Zone 6a)

Guess what - I have already started collecting and saving seeds from flowers I planted this spring. (It's a sickness, i tell you!)

's-Gravenhage, Netherlands(Zone 8b)

So do I!

Wheatfield, NY(Zone 6a)

I just grabbed a few things yesterday LOL

's-Gravenhage, Netherlands(Zone 8b)

My Siberian geranium just took its revenge: it shot a seed right into my eye. You see: harvesting seeds is like a russian roulette!

BTW
I'm unharmed!

Springfield, MA(Zone 6a)

Glad to hear you survived, Tuink ^_^

Greenville, SC(Zone 8a)

Our peppers got planted late, so we got our first few off the plants tonight. I greedily snapped the seeds up from the jalepeno, banana pepper, and sweet mini my DH chopped for this evening's green pico de gallo. Luckily all my fingers are intact =)

Wheatfield, NY(Zone 6a)

Tuink, they should come with a warning LOL. Siberian geranium? sounds intriguing. are you saving seeds for the next swap?

tina, too funny! pico de tina doesn't sound too appetizing. you save those seeds, girl!!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.