Seed addict...add to the list

Wheatfield, NY(Zone 6a)

Hi! This is just for fun. I started this over in the winter sowing forum and thought you all might get creative with it.

Hello. My name is Jan and I am a seed addict.

Looking around I figure this HAS to be the best thing in the world to be addicted to

1. They are small
2. They are inexpensive (or free if you collect your own or trade)
3. They are useful
4. They add to the beauty of the world
5. They can be played with
6. They are just plain delightful

Thumbnail by grampapa
Deep East Texas, TX(Zone 8a)

They are free

They are fascinating

They can be traded

for MORE seeds!

LOL

Neat to hunt the little buddies and try to figure out how to get them out of their shell. A real challenge.

Boy, do they leave a mess sitting around this house... 8 )

Thumbnail by podster
Nelson, NH(Zone 5a)

They are a miracle-to have a beautiful plant come from such humble origins-it's amazing

South Venice, FL(Zone 9b)

My name is Cathy and I am a seed addict! Thought I was cured a few years back, but it was just dormant. The Psychotic Seed Affliction, as my DS calls it, is back with a vengeance!
There is something so soothing about packaging seeds and seeing them all in their little envelopes, tucked in safely, just waiting to be be planted into fresh potting soil...
Podster, I love the paper plates, looks so festive! I use coffee filters too, they seem to absorb the excess moisture from fresh seed quickly.

Wheatfield, NY(Zone 6a)

Cathy, silly girl, there is no cure. You can only try to control it by planting some of them so that they will grow up and make more seeds LOL.

More seeds, yes...
Big seeds, small seeds, shiny seeds, dull seeds, round seeds, pointy seeds, jagged seeds, sticky seeds, fluffy seeds, I need them all!

Somerset, KY(Zone 6b)

(Paul - standing) Hello my name is Paul, and I'm addicted.
(Group) Hello Paul
(Paul) - I started collecting seeds this year, and everywhere I look, I'm looking for seeds.
My wife is wondering if I need help.
I'll have to tell her that I've got a great support group.
(Paul sits down)

Thanks everyone for being supportive.

8^)

Wheatfield, NY(Zone 6a)

Paul, problem is, we're supporting your addiction, not your recovery LOL. Welcome to our not-so-exclusive club :0)

Alameda, CA(Zone 9b)

I knew I had gone over the edge when I spied a packet of crushed red pepper that came with our pizza, and my first thought was, "I'll bet I could get that to germinate."

This message was edited Nov 13, 2007 5:41 PM

Wheatfield, NY(Zone 6a)

Susan, here's the real test...did you try it?

Yes, did you? And did it? LOL

How many of us have raided the spice shelfs for exotic seeds to try?

Cathy ~ Gram and I have the same good taste in fine china ~ lol.

I thought they would be the answer but they just take up too much space. And they are tippy. Have to be careful or I will have seed potluck!

Alameda, CA(Zone 9b)

"Susan, here's the real test...did you try it?"

Yep, I did but, hanging head in shame, I got zippo. (I'm sure they dry those things at temps of about 5,000 degrees, but it was worth a try... I could've had my own Domino's pepper plant.)

"How many of us have raided the spice shelfs for exotic seeds to try? "

Been there, done that! Loose hibiscus tea that you get in bulk at the health food store has seeds in it!!! Black Cumin is another that you can get for a zillionth of the cost of a regular seed packet.

The Domino's pepper plant experiment was great Susan_C!

What did the hibiscus tea deliver? What a cool idea!

I keep fighting down the urge to stop at an old building in town ( on the pretense of taking photos ) It has an old time red saliva of some sort and I have been eyeing the seeds. DH says NO WAY!

Podster, this is the hibiscus, it's even prettier than the picture:
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/2113/
Keep working on your DH, he'll cave!

And it surfaces again! I love that plant. It has been a topic of discussion on MSG and the Hibiscus forum.

I got this one as a plant and am waiting on MORE SEEDS! 8 )

Thumbnail by podster

Yes, it is a great one, that's for sure! Glad to see you are enjoying it.
Managed to harvest seeds from my Jamaican dogwood tree Sunday morning, used the stepladder to reach them, and thankfully didn't break any bones! What we won't do for seeds...
I've harvested seed pods from various outdoor restaurants, trying to look nonchalant as I slip a seedpod onto my person somewhere. Dangit, not having a ziploc handy at every given moment!

I have done that, got home and threw clothes in laundry forgeting to empty pockets!

I have also harvested a few seed pods from garden centers only to go back and purchase the plant too.

Which, BTW, is how I get lots of seeds. Annuals that wind down on the blooming as they are not pruned back. Instead they are devoting energy to producing seed. So, they hit the "markdown" shelf and I snag them cheap. After pinching back the seeds to save and watering well, they usually also go back to blooming. This was one. Salvia coccinea...

Thumbnail by podster
Medway, MA(Zone 5b)

Jan, is that all you've got to show us - where are you hiding the rest of the seeds? Don't make us do an intervention!

I have a few packs that I've lost in my "everything" room (pantry/laundry/computer/eBay/gardening/homeschool). I just got them last month so that means I have to clean up some of the clutter to find them!

Somerset, KY(Zone 6b)

Seed addicts -- better to be additced to seed gathering than other addictions.
( I always tell my dear wife )

Wheatfield, NY(Zone 6a)

Sue, it's a case of 'hide in plain site' around here. they were everywhere. but I have mailed a lot of them away in anticipation of them sending back cousins by the score ;0) and then there are the ones that are packed away neatly just waiting for some to ask for them.

pod, lol on 'fine china'. I have tipped a couple. when those tiny seeds disappear into the carpet I feel like holding a tiny funeral :( at least it was nothing TOO precious

sv, I looked at those hibiscus pics. oh, to have a whole hedge of those beauties! alas, I live in the cold, cold, north!

Medway, MA(Zone 5b)

Hey, guess what? I motivated myself to start cleaning out my "play room" this morning and about ten minutes ago I found those precious seed packs!

Nilwood, IL(Zone 5b)

Primrosesue will you tell me where mine are?? I did so much trading that I hope I have room for all. I have all but one of my trades and I can't find it to save my soul!!!. I have all mine in regular small mailing envelopes and put them in two baby wipe boxes. They hold a lot of seeds and you can get in there and go through them like a recipe index. Iam a hostaholic and now am also a seedaholic. Do I need help??? BEV

Georgetown, IN(Zone 6a)

I thought we were all helping you.. To make sure you dont run out!!
Hi, I am a seedaholic....Everyone here are enabelers...

Wheatfield, NY(Zone 6a)

Bev, if all of your seeds fit in 2 baby wipe boxes, you need help. You don't have nearly enough! LOL Oh yes, you also need help to find your missing trade :0)

Cincinnati (Anderson, OH(Zone 6a)

I'm quickly transitioning from a 'social' seed packet buyer into an 'addicted' seed scrounger.

Kind of fun, actually.

I made Austrian sauerkraut the other night and a light bulb went off in my head as I reached into the spice cabinet--so of course I set aside some of the fennel and caraway seeds to try in my new Park's Biodome seed starter (that I just purchased on the Park's Seeds 35% off sale!) LOL

Also had to get the vacuum out to clean up all the Milkweed seeds flying around in the car and on my black sweater, too...it was 'pinched' on my trip through the park last week.

Podster--I like that hibiscus a lot. Does it make nice tea, too?

Wheatfield, NY(Zone 6a)

Judy, was your biodome on sale? I went to buy one, and only the seeds, plants, etc. were 35% off. none of the 'hard' stuff was. do I need a code or something?

Well, just went back and checked and the Biodome was just a Today's Featured Selection! Oh, dear...

http://www.parkseed.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/StoreCatalogDisplay?storeId=10101&catalogId=10101&langId=-1&mainPage=gateseedstarters

I hate to buy stuff not on sale!

Hi ~ Tabasco! Yes ma'am on the Hibiscus tea. I have nibbled the calyces and they are tasty but have resisted tea. I am trying for seeds (What else??? LOL ) this year.

If you have a few minutes and are interested, I have saved info and recipes in my journal on this plant. http://davesgarden.com/community/journals/viewentry/148684/ Then, if you think you care to grow it ( it is a tropical) I will share a few seeds when they are ready.

Please let us know if you have any luck with the fennel or caraway seed sprouting. I have heard commercial spices won't germinate. Your Austrian sauerkraut sounds wonderful. pod

Conneaut, OH(Zone 5a)

Turn people on to seeds and they won't leave you alone.They tell a friend and they tell a friend.Soon people call you night and day.You got more traffic in and out of your driveway then a McDonald's drive thru.They refer to you as their connection.When you tell them your out,they want some of your private stash.Yes this country is over populated with seed junkies always looking to score.Edge

Wheatfield, NY(Zone 6a)

Yep, and then it turns world-wide. My DH tells people I'm the hub of an international seed ring.

That's why the police are watching the house! All that traffic ~ lol

Just had a friend/customer bait me by bringing a baggie of seeds ~ in exchange for some seeds I have. It would seem there are many of us in "the closet"!

Podster-- loved looking at your 'roselle' page in your journal. It was a beautifully written article and made me taste the hibiscus jelly--especially when they mentioned pouring it on gingerbread pancakes! Mmmmm!

Tea sounds good too, but now that I know about the jelly I may have to try a couple seeds. It said that it was grown in the midwest as an annual....? For the leaves, I suppose...

Wheatfield, NY(Zone 6a)

gingerbread pancakes sound good, too!

I just ate and y'all are making me hongry ~ lol

Tabasco ~ the only problem you might have with them is they don't bloom till late season! Mine started with blooms in mid Sept. Not sure what triggers the bloom, perhaps shorter days. If that is the case, they may bloom sooner for you. You are welcome to seeds to try and then you can report your success! I read they would rebloom if deadheaded but I really wanted all the "seeds" I could snag. Charter member of the seed addict club here... 8 )

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

I'm planning to TRY to write an article about my very first seed-starting experiments, as a child, raiding my grandmother's spice shelf. I know I planted dill (for pickles) and probably poppy seeds but I can't remember what else. Funny thing is, I cannot imagine her making her own pickles or poppy seed bread or any of those yummy exotic things.

Other things I have collected in the past: tropical fish, clothes and shoes, husbands, broken computers. Seeds are much more cost- and space-efficient.

xx, C

Saint James, MO(Zone 6b)

grampapa-DH says you should just water the carpet when one "tips" over! LOL
You all are hilarious! I am not a seed addict, yet! Or at least I don't think I am?

Nelson, NH(Zone 5a)

Wait a second misty-you are sending me a sasbe for unusual seeds-I think this is a clear sign!!! This is the denial stage! lol

Saint James, MO(Zone 6b)

Nuh uh, I sent you a regular envelope, don't that count?! :)
Well, DH shook his head that you are correct. :( OK, maybe you all are right after all. LOL

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.