A couple of newbies

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Just picked up a Clivia and a Silver Quill(Scilla violacea) from a fellow hort member.

This message was edited Nov 12, 2007 2:52 PM

Thumbnail by fancyvan
Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Why is it that all the indoor plants I am acquiring are either very big or very long?

Thumbnail by fancyvan
(Zone 1)

Wow! Nice Plants ... BOTH of them! I had another DG'er send me two little Clivia seedlings last spring. They did so well and grew a little but only got about two inches tall. I was away for 8 days during the summer and we had a lot of rain and they drowned! I also have a Silver Squill that I've had for a number of years but it looks pretty pitiful right now. That one you have is really Awesome!

North Augusta, ON

Beautiful plants!!

Going to look up Silver Squill---think it may be on my ever growing wish list.

(Zone 1)

Here's the link to Plant Files for Silver Squill:

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/2117/

North Augusta, ON

Thanks Lin!!

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

No wonder I couldnt find it in plant files Ive been calling it Silver Quill instead of Squill!

Grand Haven, MI(Zone 5a)

Is Clivia a bulb plant that blooms and then goes dormant, like Amaryllis or does it stay green year round? Is it a plant for very shaded areas?

I read somewhere of a strappy leaved plant that would bloom indoors in very shady spots, and the bloom as I remember was very bright, maybe orange. Is clivia what I'm looking for?

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

I think so - haven't looked for much information yet as I know it has to be indoors here.

SW, WI(Zone 4b)

Clivias are, indeed, 'bulbous' (though not technically a bulb, right?), strappy leaved, evergreen, and (the most common, anyway) blooms an orange flower, pjadams49417 - so I think that's what you're looking for!

Nice plants, fancyvan - is that 'Silver Squill' as big as it looks?!

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Nan can you see the pen sitting in the middle of the plant? Yes it is pretty big. One of my cats is busy trimming all the dead leaves underneath all that shrubbery! And then chucking it up on the carpet! Funny he only goes after the dead, dry leaves.

SW, WI(Zone 4b)

Oh, my!!
That's a big one!

No, I hadn't clicked on the thumbnail - stupid question, 'twas!!

That is funny that kitty only chews on the dead leaves - the 'green' leaves must have a 'too strong' flavor!

(Zone 1)

Pjadams: Check out these Clivia in Plant Files! They are gorgeous plants. I have never seen one for sale down here in Florida. In the spring I plan on ordering one on line to try again.

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/adv_search.php?searcher%5Bcommon%5D=&searcher%5Bfamily%5D=&searcher%5Bgenus%5D=clivia&searcher%5Bspecies%5D=&searcher%5Bcultivar%5D=&searcher%5Bhybridizer%5D=&search_prefs%5Bblank_cultivar%5D=&search_prefs%5Bsort_by%5D=rating&images_prefs=both&Search=Search

Plantlady I have Clivia tubers. They do not bloom well for me, they seem to need some cold weather to make them flower, My daughter in central Ga. has beautiful bloom on hers. My blooms some but not well.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.