Spider Mites

Athens, PA

I have done searches on this forum and have not found anything regarding what I am thinking about doing in an effort to get rid of spider mites. I have some large, not quite clear trash bags. I am going to water my plants, mist them and then put them into these bags and close up the bags with some small holes for ventilation. I plan on leaving the plants in these bags for 3-4 weeks.

My thinking is that the plants in terrariums do not get spider mites and the spider mites do not like the higher humidity. Also, by leaving the plants in these bags for the 3-4 weeks, it should take care of any eggs that have been laid by the adult spider mites. I am hoping this eradicates my spider mite problem.

Does anybody know how long the spider mites can go without a host? I have to believe that these little nasties have dropped themselves on to shelves, etc where my plants are currently sitting. Hopefully the 3-4 week period that the plants are wrapped out is long enough to take care of these critters and any eggs that may have fallen around the general vicinity of the plant.

I'd appreciate your thoughts on this.

Carolyn

Minneapolis, MN(Zone 4a)

Carolyn,

Although spider mites prefer hot and dry, I suspect that if they or their eggs are already on your plants, that a stay in the moist bag will not kill them. I would suggest, instead, using a systemic poison, if you can feel OK about having a plant with systemic poison in your home.

Susan in Minneapolis

Athens, PA

Susan,

The problem I have with the systemic poison is that I have 2 cats -one of which eats the leaves on whatever plants she can get into. I want to save my plants, but I dont' want to do this at the expense of my kitties.

Carolyn

SW, WI(Zone 4b)

I have to agree w/Susan that the eggs would likely survive.

I've never tried this, but you could find a pyrethrin based plant insecticide or insecticidal soap, and spray some of that inside of the bags before closing them up.
I'd spray it in before you make the holes in the bags, let it sit a few hours totally enclosed, then make the holes in the bags.

Maybe give the plants a shower the night before you do this, so that most of the mites are sprayed off and there aren't as many to deal with?

Minneapolis, MN(Zone 4a)

Carolyn,
Being a pet mom myself, I certainly understand that sentiment. How many plants are you concerned with, knowing that not all plants are tasty to spider mites? If it is a small number, you could try vigilant washing with a sprayer in your kitchen sink, or in the shower, hitting all surfaces of the plants forcefully, including under the leaves. Also, additional spraying with a mixture of half water and half isopropyl alcohol could help, and after it dried, probably wouldn't hurt the cat, and might even make it bitter tasting. Also, there are sprays available to make items not tasty to pets, such as Bitter Apple, that you might be able to use after the alcohol spray. And my final suggestion is to situate the plants such that the cat can't reach them, as hanging or in a separate room. OK, my final, final suggestion is to see if the plants in question are worth keeping. Occasionally I ask myself that question, and then dump the plant, although probably not quite often enough.

Susan

Athens, PA

Susan,

I have probably a dozen or little less than that that I would need to treat. I found myself horribly infested and got rid of most everything with the exception of these plants. I had thought about tossing and starting over and perhaps I could do that but for a couple of plants which have a lot of sentimental value to me as they were given to me by people that are now deceased.

I started out by spraying my plants with a solution of isopropyl alcohol and water. I have Kangaroo ivy and Grape Ivy, so I am not sure I am getting everything. I am thinking about treating the inside of the bag as Nan has suggested.

Carolyn

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.