Between 15 and 30 inches per year
(57 votes, 26%)
Red dot

Fewer than 15 inches per year
(56 votes, 25%)
Red dot

Previous Polls

St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

St. John's, Newfoundland is the wettest place in eastern North America with an average of 60" of precipitation per year; nearly half falls as snow...YUCK!

Schroon Lake, NY(Zone 4a)

Todd, how much snow is that on average?

WE get around 38 inches a year, but a few years we've had snow accumulate over 8 feet!!

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

We are supposed to average 25" a year. This year we got none from mid June until mid August. It made up for the deficit in one day with 8". Things have straightened out & now our soil moisture is where it should be.
Even with the drought, crops were nearly up to par.

Snow here comes & goes. Very seldom does November snow stay until spring. Snow will average about 40".

Bernie

Thumbnail by CountryGardens
Bessemer, AL(Zone 8b)

Here in Alabama it is like the desert. We are in severe drought.The experts say next year will be even worse

Blyth, ON(Zone 5b)

In Blyth, Ontario we historically average about 33 inches of rain a year according to our Environment Canada statistics. Unfortunately, we don't seem to get more than a trace of that in the summer when drought conditions seem to prevail.

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

Most of what we get is rain, unless it's too cold and then it's snow - somewhere below 40 degrees I believe.

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

We get enough rain, I think, in New England. Enough that most people have a pump or a drain in the basement.

x, C

Alexandria, IN(Zone 6a)

We average 40 inches here. A few years in fairly recent memory were in the lower 50s.....not this year!

Southeast, NE(Zone 5a)

I had to look it up. Our average rainfall is 28.37 inches. That figure doesn't take snow into account. Our average snowfall is 27.5 inches. Looks like about 50/50, doesn't it?

Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

Depends on the year, this one is sorry.

High Desert, NV(Zone 5a)

Average precipitation here in the High Desert is 7 whopping inches per year.

Waukesha, WI(Zone 5a)

I just read in a book I got in the mail zone 5 is supposed to average 38 to 40". Don't know where they got those numbers but I don't every remember that much course I never think about the snow part either. Just call me dense

Toone, TN(Zone 7a)

The average annual precipitation here is supposed to be 55 inches, but we are 20 inches low this year. So I answered correctly but only for this year.

I sure hope you're wrong about the drought continuing for another year, jordankittyjo. Seems like I spent the whole summer watering and watering...and when you got done, you had to start all over again.

Carol

This message was edited Nov 6, 2007 11:22 AM

Jacksonville, FL(Zone 8b)

Thanks for an interesting poll question, Terry. I had to look up the info, which I had never done before.

Our average annual rainfall in Jacksonville, Florida, is about 49 inches. We have had a drought this year and are currently about 7 inches below normal. Some recent storms that dropped about 10 inches of rain within a few days brought the average for this year up a bit, but the summer was very dry.

Jeremy

Beautiful, BC(Zone 8b)

Well, actually 1199 mm of which 48.2 mm is snowfall. Converted from mm to inches is 47.2047. Used only norms from 71 - 2000 which does not include recent data which would show increased precepitation measured at YVR. For the 6 months of winter it feels like its always raining. People say, "You don't tan in Vancouver, you rust".

scio, oregon, OR(Zone 8a)

Scio, Oregon.....approx 55 inches of rain per year!
Usually zero percent snow.

This message was edited Nov 6, 2007 11:54 AM

Burlingame, CA(Zone 9a)

19 inches here, but we are expected to have another dry winter :-(

Fairfield County, CT(Zone 6b)

We get 44.15" in Bridgeport, CT. I looked up the rainfall in Fallbrook, CA during the fires out there and their rainfall for the current year (Jan - Oct) had been 1". Yes, 1 inch!

Dana Point, CA(Zone 10b)

Yes, we only received about 2 1/2 inches last year and I SO MISS the rain! Average is probably about 12 inches, give or take. If any of you have an abundance, PLEASE send some our way :>)
There is definitely something about rain water, compared to irrigation, the plants know the difference!

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

According to the web site I found, Ottawa gets about 35" a year. Of course, some of ours is also snow, but quite often we are just north of major storms that go through New York state and get just the edge of them.

Ann

I checked the Average yearly precipitation for my town, over the last 50 years.

I was surprised to see the average is 32 inches for rain, and 32 inches snowfall!
I hadn't realized we recieve the same totals of rain and snow.
Interesting! we are a few inches above average for rainfall, so far this year.

Sasha

Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

Send the excess this direction. If it does land here someone else who needs will get.

Necedah, WI(Zone 4b)

I had to look it up, too. For our county it says:
Avg. Winter Temp 23.40 F -4.78 C
Avg. Summer Temp 75.70 F 24.27 C
Avg. Annual Rainfall 33.18 In 84.27 Cm
Avg. Annual Snowfall 37.10 In 94.23 Cm
Of course our weather never seems average, we usually go the feast or famine route.

Deep East Texas, TX(Zone 8a)

In excess of 50 inches but this year you wouldn't know it. It all came at one time ~ feast or famine. Another good reason for rainwater harvesting!

Central, LA(Zone 8b)

I was shocked that we average 60" of rainfall a year. We didn't get it this year either!!!!

Jeri

Highland Heights, KY(Zone 6a)

Most of KY has been drought-stricken this year. Last I heard, we were 10" short of the average. The hoses got a workout!

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

Where is the "I have noooo idea" button? :-)

(Judith) Denver, CO(Zone 5b)

We get on average about 15" of precip every year, 55" of that is snowfall. But we've just come through several years of drought. This year we're only down by about 2% and the year isn't through yet. We could have snow this winter.

Citra, FL(Zone 9a)

57" average; the winter before last, 62". Almost all falls in the winter, dry as a bone and hot in the summer.

Southern Mountains, GA(Zone 6b)

Do you mean how much is average for this area or how much we've had in the last 12 months? Big difference!

Jacksonville, FL(Zone 8b)

Connie_W: I was also in the 'clueless" category, but I did a Google search with a phrase like " (city name, state) average annual rainfall" and also the same for "total annual rainfall." Amazing that today just about any factoid can be found on the Internet!

Jeremy

Middleburgh, NY

Don't forget snow people, when you are talking precipitation, it takes 10" of snowfall to equal 1" of rain. So total rainfall is calculated after you have converted snowfall to rainfall amount and add that to the rainfall that falls...

Seabrook, SC(Zone 8b)

My first thought was, "50 inches of rain." I looked it up and the average is 47.8 inches. So not a bad guess. Although this year we're in deficit, although not nearly as bad as other states in the southeast.

Jenny

Average rainfall for my county is 65.19" a year. We've been in a drought this year according to officials, but you couldn't tell because during June, July, September, and October it rained pretty much everyday. Lake Okeechobee has been under the normal range this year because the S. FL Water Mgmt. "in their infinite wisdom" - decided to empty the lake before the hurricane season which created panic among all the county officials . They didn't figure out that this area is dry during the winter months, with most of our rainfall coming down during the summer. We did have a drier winter, but drought -hmm I'm not so sure.

The lake depth is what dictates drought conditions in the area. We have been under mandatory water restrictions for most of this year. We even went as far as implementing phase 3 for part of the year -watering only one day a week. They changed it to phase 2 in the summer.

This year, I decided to use a rain gauge to measure the amount of rainfall. In June and half of July I got 38". The rainfall I measured so far is right in par with the average, but we are experiencing a drought -go figure......

This message was edited Nov 7, 2007 1:49 PM

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Does Florida have a straight pipe to the ocean ?
If we got 60" of rain a year, we would be a swamp & the mighty Mississippi would flood all the way to the gulf & never go down.
I guessed 25" when I first posted. I was wrong it is 29" going by the web site I found.
Bernie

We have a huge network of canals and man made lakes all over this area, those are our pipelines to the ocean.

Richmond, VA

High and dry this year, very little rain, including thunderstorms.

Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

rainfall...49.3 inches annually....

Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

None of those.

700mm per year here. We moved out of the 18th century some time ago!

Resin

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.