Got a dwarf holly today!

Phelan, CA(Zone 8b)

Stokes Dwarf Yaupon Holly is what it is labeled, and I got it at Lowe's. Anyone grow one of these indoors, and if so, have they had berries for you? I guess only the females get the berries, from what I've read online. This one has a few berries, and the plant is in a 1 gal. pot and is only about 10" tall. I wanted a coral berry, but this is the only type of plant they had with berries! I couldn't walk away from it. Thanks.

Randi

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

You're right that only the females get berries, but they'll only get berries if you have a male to go along with it and pollinate it. It was undoubtedly sitting near some male plants at the nursery which is why it has berries now, but if you want more next year you'll have to buy yourself a male one and keep it nearby. I have no idea how they'll do indoors, they're definitely more frequently grown outdoors.

(Zone 1)

Neat plant! You should plant it in your yard, or maybe keep it outside as a container plant. It should do okay in your zone!

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/88371/

Phelan, CA(Zone 8b)

Oh great, an excuse to get another plant -- just what I need, LOL. So I need a male too? I think I'll take the advice given and plant it outdoors when spring comes. Then I can also get it a male. Thanks you guys!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.