Carambola (aka "Starfruit.)

Lizella, GA(Zone 8a)

Wow,,, ya'll all need to get together and start a co-op.. LOL.
Elaine

Zolfo Springs, FL(Zone 9b)

Fredrump, I trim my tree back considerably each spring. I have found if i do the fruit is much healthier. Yours looks like a nice healthy tree.

Naples, FL(Zone 10b)

LeePerk,

do you cut the top off to make it broader? Or do you chop individual branches off too?

I really need to do this on all my fruit trees but don't really know how to prune effectively. Besides, it always bothers me to chop away at anything. :-)

Fred

Thumbnail by fredrump

I will try tomorrow to take a picture with the leaves pulled back so maybe you can tell. I cut them back to where the wood is about 1" thick. We trim all the larger branches as far up as we can reach with the ladder. It seems to increase the size of the fruit. When we didn't trim it back it would have so much fruit out toward the end of the branches that all the fruit remained small. We usually have one cool spell that nips the ends of the banches anyway so we just trim it back to the healthy growth.

Yours probably doesn't get enough cold weather to damage it. I am 50 miles east of Bradenton so each year we will have one or two freezes.

Linda

Longboat Key, FL

Lee~ and fred~

My tree's leaves look so different. Maybe it's the variety.

: )

Longboat Key, FL

I think I'll have to give it more support.

Looks like it'll topple.

Thumbnail by flyboyFL
Longboat Key, FL

Thanks to last night's winds we have a half-dozen fruits to start eating.

That is why the experts say not to grow them in windy climates.

Chichester, NH(Zone 5b)

LeePerk I have a new baby!!! Well a seedling from the seed you sent me.LOL Thank you again. I can't wait for it to grow this coming year. 3 have sprouted so far, it took about 30 days to emerge.
~Samantha

Thumbnail by astcgirl
South/Central, FL(Zone 9a)

Well, isn't that cute, a baby Carambola tree. : )

~Lucy

Longboat Key, FL

astcgirl~

Congratulations and best wishes.

Make sure that you guy it when you put it out.

Be well

astcgirl, thanks for sharing the picture. A new baby to take care of. Seems as though about 30 days is how long it takes. Maybe a little longer when the weather is cooler. Hope they do well for you. Sounds as if you might have more than you need.

My sweetsop has not peeked up yet but I keep hoping. I haven't checked the last couple of days. Will let you know when they do.

Merry Christmas to you and your family! Will hubby be home for the holidays?

Linda

What does a sweetsop taste like?
~Lucy

Lucy, i have no idea! :} Astcgirl gave the seeds to me. She will have to tell you or perhaps someone else can. By the way did you get your hot house all set up?

Linda

Linda.... NO, it was suppose to be here in 2-4 weeks. Last Friday we called them and asked where it was, because it has been over 4 weeks. They said something about next week, but we think they forgot to turn in the order, and now they are having to hurry and make it.

Sure would have liked to have it for these chilly nights. I have all my blooming orchids in the house, cause the wind was blowing them around. I sure didn't get much rain either. Just enuff to settle the dust, alittle.

~Lucy

Lucy, We didn't get much rain either. We were in Orlando and over toward Sebring , Avon Park it looked like they got lots.

I bet they did forget to turn in your order.

I have been in bed all day today with a cold and fevor. Been struggling with a cold since Monday. Need to be getting over it . Guess I will call the doctor tomorrow.

Hate to hear you are sick. Yes, go on to the Dr. so you can enjoy Christmas. I had to stay away from my DD this week cause she was sick. Something must be going around again.

Get some rest : )
~Lucy

Thanks Lucy, I have to get better as my DH has to go to Moffitt on Wed. and I need to be able to go with him. He is supose to have his treatment the 28th.

I will keep your DH in my prayers. Moffitt is a great hospital. Lots of good Drs, and the staff are really friendly and helpful. I had a friend over there last year that I visited, and he is doing great now. They really know their stuff. : )

My little Carambola tree is still doing really well. I think it finally likes me. lol : )
~Lucy

Lucy, went to the doc today and he gave me some antibiotics and i started them tonight. I had to wait 1 hr 45 minutes at the doc. I was begining to wonder why i was there.

Hopefully i will be good as new by Christmas!

Sick as i was i had to move some plants in today. Glad your carambola has decided to like you! :}

Linda

Linda, I know how it is when you go to the Dr. You can have an appointment at 9:00, and 15 other people will have one at 9 also.

You should have called me, I could have came down (with my mask on, lol ) and helped you move your plants.

Hope the medicine helps you, and you start feeling better soon.
~Lucy

Lizella, GA(Zone 8a)

LP,, sorry to hear you are sick.. Hate it when you have to sit in doc's office and wait with all those other sick folks.. Saying prayers for you and DH too. Too bad you don't have that greenhouse ready. Lucy, hope you get that plant house soon.
Samantha,, what a cute new c. baby! I am sure yours will do well in that nice warm Florida sun..sigh... It is in the 20's here again tonight. BUT,,, we did get almost 4 inches of rain Saturday. That is more than we have gotten in the past 6 months. I just kept looking out the window and enjoying it.
Flyboy, thanks for starting this thread. I love those tropical fruit trees. I need a lemon tree.
Hugs, Elaine

This message was edited Dec 17, 2007 11:13 PM

Longboat Key, FL

EFGeorgia~

Get ready. I just planted a couple of Fuyu Persimmons. They are just bare whips now -- but wait.

Be well

Jacksonville, FL(Zone 8b)

Has anyone grown White Sapote (Casimiroa edulis http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/62618/)? I grew two from seeds and they are both doing well (about 2 ft high now). I only need one, so if someone wants to trade.... or pick one up at Molly's upcoming roundup in March near Gainesville, you are welcome to it. They grew easily from seed for me, so if you know someone that has the tree, you may want to try it. The fruit is a mushy, sweet custard flavor.

I will plant one in my newly constructed tender tropicals & cacti and succulent garden that is designed to be covered in plastic for the winter (already got that job done, fortunately). I would like to send the other White Sapote further south where it can grow without fear of damage in cold winters.

Jeremy

Jeremy

Elaine, finally my greenhouse is suppose to be here tomorrow around 9:30ish. Cross your fingers. lol : )
~Lucy

Elaine (favorite niece) & Lucy I THINK I am feeling a little better this evening. Elaine I didn't sit in the doc's office I set in the nice warm sunshine outside the door and they came and got me when they were ready for me. :} I couldn't complain to much about the wait since they were just working me in.

Elaine I am glad you finally got some rain. You can sure keep those 20 degrees temps. tho. Give your DH a smooch for me for Christmas.

Lucy I will have to come out and check out the hot house. Thanks for the offer of help. I didn't have to many to move.

Oh Elaine i do have the hot house ready. We did that about 2 weeks ago.

LP, I'm sure glad you are feeling better. : )

I went to the Dr today, he wants to look down my throat with a scope of some kind on the 27th, to see why my chest is hurting when I bend over. I may have a Hiatal hernia. I hope not, tho.

Anyway, gonna have it checked out. Say a prayer that it is just something minor.
~Lucy

I got a D-mail request for the White Sapote -- just wanted to let everyone know. Hopefully, anyone else that wants one can find someone with the plants and get a seed. The seeds are about as big as a peach pit or maybe even a small avocado and they germinated very easily for me.

Jeremy

Lucy I do pray it is very minor. Do you go locally or out of town?

I woke up with a migrane this am. Seems if it isn't one thing its another. Heck getting old isn't it :) I have them all the time but this one was so bad i was throwing up with it. However, for some reason that seems to help me get rid of it so it has now eased off.

Tomorrow is a new day.

Linda

Tolleson, AZ(Zone 9a)

If I bought a star fruit from the grocery store could I use that seed to plant? After reading through this thread I think it might be worth a try and does not sound like this tree gets to large.

Linda, I go out of town. Winter Haven (Gessler)
You have got to stop this getting sick, now darn it. I'm glad you did get some relief from your headache. I've never had one of those, but I do know how awful they are.

I finally got the greenhouse at 8:30 this morning. They were an hour early. Now, I have to figure out how to shade it somewhat.

This has been a busy day, already. First the greenhouse, then over to Sebring for a haircut and highlights,...and now my DD is on her way over. No telling what she has up her sleeves.
Hope your day turns out better than it started. : )
~Lucy

TabacVille, NC(Zone 7a)

Flyboy, I just came upon this thread. Sri Kembangan is actually Malay for "beautiful blossoms". Guessed the old Malays (natives of Malaysia, Singapore and Indonesia) call them such since star shaped fruits resemble giant blooms from afar. We also eat them dipped in soy!
Sapotes...wow! If only I can grow them here..
Thanks for the pics Flyboy, am missing the tropics badly!!!

marieo - it's worth a try to see if seed from store bought Star Fruit will germinate. Sometimes fruit growers hybridize plants to have very few seeds in the fruit or to make the seed sterile, but they may not have tampered with the Star Fruit yet.

Jeremy

Longboat Key, FL

heaven~

Thanks for the info on the name. They are right!

And I will certainly try them, dipped in soy sauce. Must be good.

Be well.

Tolleson, AZ(Zone 9a)

Thank you Jeremy.

Longboat Key, FL

Well -- I must confess. This year's fruit are delicious. (Even my DDW had to agree.

They came off the tree a little early (wind, you know.)

Lizella, GA(Zone 8a)

Linda, glad you are feeling better. Lucy whoopee on getting the greenhouse finally.. hmmm starfruit with soy sauce. sounds interesting. It is raining here tonight. Wonderful!!!!
Elaine

TabacVille, NC(Zone 7a)

Elaine, Mum used to put out two small bowls for us kids. One just plain soy, the other with sliced red hot chillies. Starfruits were also used in curries, sliced. Adds a little tanginess.

heavenscape, I will have to give that a try. (soy that is) Certainly sounds like a different way of eating them. I have a cold right now so nothing taste right. Think I will pass on the red hot chillies though even though it might open up my sinisuses :}.

Elaine, Lucy

Both DH and I are feeling much better. Think we are gonna make it now.

I'm glad to hear that. : ) Now you can enjoy Christmas.

I'm sitting here waiting for the inspector to come and sign off on the greenhouse. I hope it passes. It had to be so far from the property lines one way, so far from the fence another way, and so far from this, that and the other.

I hope I don't have to move it. I wouldn't know how I would do that. lol : )
~Lucy

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.