forcing hyacinths

Valatie, NY(Zone 5a)

What's the "real" scoop on forcing hyacinths in paper bags?

I have always set the bulbs (Dutch-type) in bulb vases and water, and placed these in the refrigerator for 12 to 16 weeks. The roots fill the vases in the 40 degree fridge, and bloom beautifully when brought to warmth and sunlight.

A friend has tried the paper bag trick, and said the bulbs, which formed roots AFTER the chilling period, did not produce well-formed flowers.

Any thoughts?

Pensacola, FL(Zone 8b)

Yes I would like to know the answer to this one also...........lol

(Zone 1)

I have some Hyacinth bulbs in my frig that have been there almost a year. Someone gave them to me and I didn't get to them. I wonder if they are still viable? Maybe I will do the vase/water thing and stick them back in the frig to see what happens!

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

I don't know anything about the paper bag method, but based on your experience and your friend's, it sounds like the normal way is better, so I'd stick with what works!

What is the paper bag method? I've never heard of that. I just pot them up, water, and stick them in the basement in a plastic bag, or throw them in the fridge for weeks and them put them in a forcing vase on a shelf. Not much to it, and it always works for me.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.