Couldn't resist something new!

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

I absolutely needed some new hanging plants so when I saw these at Safeway today (in little 4 inch pots with saucers and little hangers yet!) I indulged.
A Rosary Vine, String of Pearls(?) and Rhipsalis.
Currently sitting on the shower wall until I make sure we have no bugs and find them a new home.

Thumbnail by fancyvan
North Augusta, ON

I love those little potted plants, our walmart has been getting them lately.....you got some nice ones too....

(Zone 1)

Great plants! Wow! You got those at a grocery store? Your Rhipsalis looks like one I have ... but I'm not sure of the correct ID. Someone told me it was R. 'trigona' but it looks similar to this one:

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/67537/

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Safeway stores here are often great sources of indoor plants. Come Nov I start patrolling all my nearby Safeways for Xmas Cactus as they often have quite a few different colors available.

The Rhipsalis tag says: Mop Tops Rhipsalis Capilliforms. ( which is why I called it a Rhilsalis - did not know what it was)

I might post the pic on epiforum and see what ID they come up with.

(Zone 1)

Yep ... looks like the Rhipsalis capilliformis to me too. I like that name of Mop Top! The link I posted above is the R. capilliformis!

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Oh that is neat.

I dont know what is going on here but lately I have taken to acquiring plants that will get really humungous - and I dont have that kind of room! It is getting to be a bit of s truggle to decide where to put what - like the 3 Epies currently in the back porch and the E. Oxy that is sending out 4 foot long stems and the Rat Tail cactus that apparently can get to be 5 feet long!
Oh well it is neat having these interesting looking plants. Reminds me of a gardening magazine back in the 70's that had a feature every month called Wierd but Wonderful.

This message was edited Oct 24, 2007 6:16 PM

Federal Way, WA

Those plants are very healthy looking!I just love the Rhipsalis! I have 2 Rhipsalis plants myself. One of my plants is called a Rhipsalis Teres, and the other one is called a Rhipsalis chain link! They both look totally different from your plant! I am very happy for you that you now have that plant in your collection! It would be great if it will bloom for you too!

(Zone 1)

Oh LaunaLou, can you post photo's of your plants? I would love to see them.

I have a couple of Rhipsalis but am not positive of the ID's on any of them. One I always called my Green Bean Cactus because it reminded me of long green beans. I will post some pic's later of mine.

I found this website awhile back with photo's of some really nice ones:

http://cactiguide.com/cactus/?genus=Rhipsalis

Medford, NJ

Very nice! I love rosary vines, have a few of them myself, one whose stems hang down about 6 or 7 feet! My outdoor one is loaded with seed pods right now.

Once thing about the string of pearls, water carefully! They have a very shallow root system and soaking the whole pot is way more than they need, so I would just water the top inch or so of soil and no more than that, in case of possible root rot. Really they should be grown in a very shallow pot, especially when young plants.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Thanks for the watering info.

Maybe I will move it into a shallow pot.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.