Show us your Jap. Maple fall colours!

Newport News, VA(Zone 7b)

Here is it's final colors, it's faded to brown today but we had a gloriously warm one (72 degrees!)

Thumbnail by largosmom
Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Your SK colors more than mine does Laura. Wish that mine would get that pink.

Can anyone ever get enough Aconitifolium? Not ME. :-)

Thumbnail by largosmom

Doss, It's even brighter in person. The pictures don't do it justice, I think.

Laura

A photo from the nursery, unknown cultivar.

Thumbnail by largosmom

Doss, I would love to see a photo of sukushi gata "naked". It looks like it has really nice structure for winter.

Laura

Thought you might enjoy this photo of a very old Crimson Queen at the nursery I have mentioned before. Most won't appreciate the shape in general, as it looks a bit like a tall umbrella, but for a nursery, it provides a place for display underneath, which is how I've seen it in the past. This tree has a girth on its trunk about three inches across, which is very large for a Crimson Queen. Hopefully you get an idea of the scale, it's huge!

Laura

Thumbnail by largosmom
Springfield, IL(Zone 6a)

The top of the tree is beautiful and I uderstand your disclaimer as far as putting stuff under ...but you've got to admit it really looks silly almost fake I guess the word would be unatural ... but I do love the upper branching...It wouild make a good adv. for not buying high grafted dissectums in the extreeme ... ;>) David

The bare portion of the trunk is about 4-5 feet off the ground. I would guesstimate the width of the crown at about 8-10 feet across. It is silly, isn't it!

Laura

Ogden, UT

I've never seen a crimson king that large! Especially that high off the ground. It's beautiful.
Is it growing in full sun?

Yes, if I remember correctly it is in a sunny area.

Laura

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Laura I will post a photo of the sukushi gata if I can get it in the right light. It's hard because of the things in back of it. It tends to fade out.

Iowa City, IA(Zone 5a)

Acer Mikawa Yatsubusa is new to our garden; it's still a small plant, but I think it's going to be spectacular in a few years.

Thumbnail by zonedenial
Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

BEautiful foliage ZD. I know that you'll enjoy watching it grow.

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Here's one of my seedling maples. It's not got fabulous fall color but it's very pretty next to the yellow birch trees.

Thumbnail by doss

I love the Yatsubusa, and Doss, the trunk shapes on the seedling are just lovely.

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

Todd...in one of the first pics on this thread...is the Omur Yama the back or front tree? I want the one with the orange foliage! (My gardens center around orange and purples)

St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

Connie, Omure yama is the orange one...it is one of a handful of JM that turns orangy in the fall.

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

Thanks for the info, Todd. We don't have a "fall" here, so we rarely see beautiful color. Thanks for this vicarious experience! I've studied the pics and want all of them! :-)

I have a sango kaku (have had for 3 years) and enjoy the red bark, but I think we need colder weather for it to be brilliant red, yes?

I also have 6 more JM's in planters, and 3 are "Garnet" and I can't think of the name of the other cultivar. They are supposed to be more heat-resistant, and have done well so far, under the canopy of motts of Red Oaks, which are native here.

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Connie, Sango Kaku's bark will turn quite bright in areas where the temp doesn't go below freezing. It's would never what I would call a brilliant red. It's a coral barked tree. If your tree isn't a good coral color then you may have a mismarked tree.

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

Here it is (was) the year I got it....

Thumbnail by Connie_G

Connie, you can see the color of the main trunk on mine further up the page. The reddish color is much more intense in the younger wood. My tree is about 7 feet tall now at the tip, and has been in my yard for about 8 years. It was only a couple of feet tall when I planted it.

Laura

Springfield, IL(Zone 6a)

Your maple is defintely a coral bark whatever the actual cultivar ....looks like a Sango .That is one of the many things negative about this tree IMHO ...it shows less and less red as it gets older since only new young branches show any brilliance... now this could be 10-20 years in some areas.... if you are lucky enough to have it live that long so early on the color should be good... but there are other coral barks that are superior in every way including showing more brilliance even with age...Of course everyone here should by now know my opinion of this tree...If your Sango is doing well after 3 years consider yourself lucky reguadless of intensity of color...David

Winnetka, IL

Just found this thread, and it's making me wish for fall again!

Here are a few from my garden:

Acer p. 'Kinran'

Thumbnail by plantaholic186
Winnetka, IL

Here's Acer p. 'Nishiki Gawa'

Winnetka, IL

Lastly, my 'Scolopendrifolium' in the foreground, and 'Omurayama' in the back

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

WHat a lovely garden you have. Those trees look as if they've been in your garden for some time. How long?

Springfield, IL(Zone 6a)

You are very lucky to have such nice lookin trees!! as are all of those midwesterners in northern Il and elsewhere at that lattitude ...just travel 100-200 miles south or farther and your trees would not look like that ... they would have likely survived last springs debacle cause they are older.... but would have ONLY had secondaey leaves and be sparce to say the least and may have had some limb damage and die back!!! David

St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

No mistaking the orange fall colour of Omure yama!

Winnetka, IL

Thanks for the compliment, doss. The Nishiki Gawa I bought only two years ago, so it was already very large. The Scolopendrifolium I brought with me from my previous garden, so I've had that for 11 years all told, 5 yrs in its current spot. (It even spent a scorching summer b&b and mulched in the shade during construction- still happy!) The other two are pretty small; I'll just have to be patient! I have a habit of trolling nurseries in October, picking over the woodies they have that no one has bought. Great sales!

David, I am repeatedly surprised by the tenacity of these trees. Technically, I am in zone 5b, so I should have crappy looking JMs, but they do so well here. All but the Butterfly/Sango Kaku types. They always look ratty by Spring. I have a Sango Kaku because I just love them so much, but it's a struggle to keep it pretty.

What pretty trees, it is easy to tell they are well loved. A closer pic of your Omure Yama would be nice! I have a baby in my front yard that is only a couple of feet tall.

Laura

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

So a summer in burlap. It never fails to amaze me how tough these trees can be. I just finally moved a tree again that I had moved last year. It's in a much better spot right now but hope for me that it makes the move without too much shock.

Winnetka, IL

I have my green thumbs crossed for you, Doss!
Alongside the Scolopendrifolium, I had a dogwood and a weeping katsura. The katsura got mechanical damage and died this summer of fungal infection (I still sob over the loss) and the dogwood barely lasted the summer (2004).

Laura, I'm sorry to disappoint, but I have no other pics of the Omurayama yet. I'm going to have to stake it this spring. Mine is only 4' right now. Where did you get yours?

I ordered my Omura Yama from a very nice lady who sells her trees from her yard. She goes and gets them from the tree nursery and then sends them on. She sent me a photo and I gave her the thumbs up. It was very well packed and reasonably priced, I think.

Laura

Winnetka, IL

Is she in VA?
My Kinran and Tiger Rose are from Forest Farm. With shipping a bit pricey, but they're happy, healthy plants.

She used to be in VA, but moved to NC, but still does her business. If interested, drop me a DMail and I'll give you her email address. Her name is Della.

Laura

hurdle mills, NC

Wilson's Pink Dwarf
Della

Thumbnail by dellac
Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Very pretty Della

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.