Show us your Jap. Maple fall colours!

Newport News, VA(Zone 7b)

And the leaves!

Thumbnail by largosmom
Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Beautiful Laura. Mine is about gone by now.

Lower Hudson Valley, NY(Zone 6b)

'Beni kawa'.

Thumbnail by victorgardener

'Shigitatsu sawa'.

Beautiful!

Laura

Springfield, IL(Zone 6a)

Here are three pics of my Aconitifolium last wee ...Now it is totally bright red ...I will send a couple of this weeks ltr als my Green cascade is relly nice now I will send that too others just a starting but it looks like color will be good this year but trees are sparce!!!

Thumbnail by Davidsan

Very nice.

Springfield, IL(Zone 6a)

and here

Thumbnail by Davidsan
Springfield, IL(Zone 6a)

and finally ... more of this weeks ltr

Thumbnail by Davidsan
Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Beautiful. I love the fall foliage on the Japanese Maples but one of my favorites is the aconitifolium.

St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

Alas, the remnants of Hurricane Noel passed through my area today and all my JM leaves are now gone! I will have to live vicariously through those of you who still have leaves.

Bummer Todd!

Iowa City, IA(Zone 5a)

I'm a little afraid our JM fall season is going to be brief, too... darn Canadians are sending all their cold air down here and it's supposed to get down to 19 degrees tonight.

Oshi-Beni:

Thumbnail by zonedenial
Holland, OH(Zone 5b)

We really should weather strip the US - Canadian border.

St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

Hey speak for yourselves...I haven't had a killing frost in my area yet! It was a storm from the US that stripped my JM not the cold from mainland Canada! LOL!

Springfield, IL(Zone 6a)

Actually you are both wrong ...this rather normal cold spell unlike last falls 18 degrees in mid oct. is from the Artic ... and Todds remnants of either a tropical storm or hurrican ( I think it was both at times) was from at least the carribean or more likely the Atlantic off Africa HA!!!! David

St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

Work with me David! LOL!

Iowa City, IA(Zone 5a)

Oh yah, then why do they call this cold spell an Alberta clipper... Hmmmm?? (Below Acer palmatum Green Waterfall)

Thumbnail by zonedenial
Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Your Green Waterfall is glorious. Such fine serrations in the leaves - it looks so delicate.

Iowa City, IA(Zone 5a)

Another Oshi Beni

Thumbnail by zonedenial
Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Here's the Koto no Ito in full color.

Thumbnail by doss
Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

A seedling maple

Thumbnail by doss

Stunning, doss!

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

And a Bloodgood

Thumbnail by doss
St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

Doss, that seedling is stunning! What a great shape!

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

I was very lucky with the seedling Todd. It's a wonderful shape. I had to trim it up some last winter because when it rained the branches actually touched the ground.

'Aratama'.

oooh, lovely yellows!

Laura

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

I'll bet that the Aratama just glows in the garden, victor.

Thank you. It really is glowing at this time. The morning sun was catching it when I took the photo. The Spring foliage is gorgeous as well.

St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

That one is a beauty! Never seen that cultivar for sale locally.

Springfield, IL(Zone 6a)

HUMMMM the leaf form and truncated lobe looks like an Aratama ...but knowhere in any written book web site or dvd/cd is their any mention of the Aratama EVER being golden yellow in fall. Mine isn't it's bright red and every other one I have seen is bright ot dark red ALL season including fall . Now it could be some sort of soil deficiency ,,,but I seriously doubt it ... It may be related to an Aratama ...an offspring or sport or something but I don't think it is a true Aratama ...That doesn't take away from its beauty or value as a really beautiful JM it just doesn't fit as an Aratama cultivar.

Could be, but this photo on Mountain Maples website (I did not get it from them) looks pretty close to mine.

http://www.mountainmaples.com/show_detail.php?ClassNo=18

Springfield, IL(Zone 6a)

Looks similar and the first one I've seen like that ...there are an awlful lot of cultivars around that are called this and that and slightly vary from nursery to nursery and area of country... alot of confusion over what is what and grafting and regrafting can cause anomolies of varias types and characteristics so the original cultivar from Japan has a specific subspecies name while the oregon one has another ...I would go by Vertrees (and even mountainh maples says its red summer spring and fall even though theirs ISN'T!!!) so I would suspect this is a subspecies of the Aratama ...that may be a good thing since this is one very UNHARDY plant which is very suseptable to early frosts /freeze and wetness problems causing psuedonomous ...I have personally lost two and WOULD not recommend it to beginners ...My third one is doing ok but I know now how to treat it ...water sparingly plant up really high and take inside in winter until all chance of freeze or frost is over .A beautiful plant in whatever form but only recommended for experienced growers!!!! David

Springfield, IL(Zone 6a)

I had some free time and did a little internet serching and checking...funny thing 99 % of all scources including the eastwood CD says red spring greenish red to red summer and red fall ...The only ones to say otherwise including mountain Maples in "part" of their description ALL USE THE SAME EXACT PHOTO THAT YOU LINKED .AND THE DESCRIPTIONS WERE EXACTLY IDENTICAL TO THE WORD !!!!! I think that is not only a bit strange but suspect .. leaving me to believe that one wrong description was copied by others...kind of like tall tales of old ...anyway I found this pretty darn interesting ...David

Even more amazing is that it was also copied into the dna of my plant! How lucky am I?

Iowa City, IA(Zone 5a)

This is Toyamo Nishiki; it's still pretty small, as it is uniquely prone to sunburn if it gets so much as a whiff of afternoon sun here in the midwest, so I had to move it to a shadier spot. It never does get too big apparently. In spring it is a swirling mix of cream, green and pink.

Thumbnail by zonedenial
Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

What a lovely tree and how nice to have such a finely serrated dwarf. Here's Ellen. I love the orange foliage against the red stems.

Thumbnail by doss
Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

My aconitfolium finally caught up.

Thumbnail by doss
Springfield, IL(Zone 6a)

I have my next batch of pics to post if I ever can make a decision of which one or two da wife took looks best ...I have at least 12 really neat ones of my aconitifolium too many choices not enough time.... I would have to put that tree in a must have category especially for colder zones and windy spots ...it is an amazing tree...buy a larger one if you can...it's worth it... in a 1-5 star rating system I would have to give it a 5 ( 1 being "eh" 5 being "wow"...David

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.