Show us your Jap. Maple fall colours!

St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

My Japanese maples are peaking this week (Oct. 23). Here are some examples: This is Sumini gashi

Thumbnail by Todd_Boland
St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

Omure yama

Thumbnail by Todd_Boland
St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

Red Pygmy

Thumbnail by Todd_Boland
St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

Koto-no-ito

Thumbnail by Todd_Boland
St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

Acer pseudosieboldianum..hard to top this one!

Thumbnail by Todd_Boland
Prattville, AL(Zone 8a)

Wow! They are gorgeous. Omure yama is stunning, and you have enhanced its beauty by the plants you have around it. Pardon me, but I'm just an ol' southern gardener. Is that ticseed (coreopsis) in the pot with Koto-no-ito? The JM are great. Thanks for the photos. I've admired your plants before.

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Thanks Todd. Only one of mine is at full color today. You made me miss my sumina gashi very much. If I added one more tree that would be the one I'd choose.

St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

The plant in the pot with koto-no-ito is a dwarf penstemon.

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

My seasons just beginning. Here are two crimson queens

Thumbnail by doss
Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Here's the other one.

Thumbnail by doss
St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

The setting by the pool is lovely! You garden still looks so green...most of my perennials are cut down now for the season.

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Much of my plantings are evergreen. I used to have a garden that was all perennials but without snow a bare garden in the winter is pretty sad looking so I've revamped it and added evergreen plants.

Marysville, WA(Zone 7a)

A group of us from the Northwest Perennial Alliance toured the Kubota Gardens in Seattle Monday. What a beautiful place. The JM's were in their glory.

Thumbnail by balvenie
Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

That's such a beautiful tree!

St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

Those branches are stunning!...I'd be surprised if they were not trained. If natural, its incredible!

Marysville, WA(Zone 7a)

I can't believe they are 'natural' either. So much of the garden (all 26 acres) is blessed with beautifully trimmed trees and shrubs.

Walhalla, SC

I believe that is the natural form of a weeping/mounding Japanese maple. It has only been limbed up to show off that wondrous structure. This is the reason why I am such an advocate of grafting low, this beauty can't be matched by a high grafted tree IMO.

Springfield, IL(Zone 6a)

I agree... a high graft dissectum or any other tree will likely never look like that David

Marysville, WA(Zone 7a)

One of he others in the group took some beautiful pictures and said it would be OK for me to post one. Joyce Lewis of Camano Island shot this one of the JM at the red bridge.

Thumbnail by balvenie
St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

Interesting fall colour on that one...don't see too many yellow-orange ones.

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Koto no ito has never been this orange before. I had to catch what I can. Of course you can't tell from the photo the great texture it has.

Thumbnail by doss
St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

Thats a beauty! I will be keeping mine as a potted plant, although if I had the space, it would be nice to let it mature fully. They look lovely once they get big!

Greensboro, NC

not much happening here yet, except acinitifolium-the japonicums always go early

Thumbnail by jhayes5032
Greensboro, NC

one more

Thumbnail by jhayes5032
Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Here I'm not sure how tall it will get. With the 8 foot fence behind it up a 2 foot level I'm sure that it's not going to stay below 9 feet though. I had to move it last winter because it was going to be too wide for it's space. I'm not sure that it even has room now in the long run but c'est la vie. It's the best I could do for it.

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

I love the aconitfoliums in the fall too. I just wish that they wouldn't hold onto their leaves all winter.

St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

I don't have aconitifolium, but I'm thinking I might have to....I love the foliage.

Walhalla, SC

Could that orange yellow one be Hogyoku? Or possibly Ichigyoji? I can't tell from that picture but those are probably the closest common varieties that consistently give that beautiful color.

Springfield, IL(Zone 6a)

Yes my A.J. Aconitifolium is basically the only one with much color but with 30's in the forecast and having had some rain I expect more next week ...unfortunatly the spring freeze and summer heat has effected many and most have only seconday leaves making them sort of sparce freeze zapped primary ones... The Aconitifolium is one of the few uneffected by about everything including strong winds...also my A.J. Green Cascade but it hasn't changed color yet...overall I don't expect much of a show this year...hopefully next spring will be "normal" oddly my aconitiflium looks just like yours and you live much farther south !! David

St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

The only JM that hasn't starting turning for me yet is the good old Bloodgood. Red Dragon is just starting. Red Trompenburg was rather poor this year which is surprising since the rest put on the best show ever. Shirasawanum wasn't great either but perhaps it will improve over the next few days.

North Arlington, NJ

Sherwood Flame

Thumbnail by MykeVS
Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Your Sherwood Flame is gorgeous. It's going to be spectacular when it gets mature - it's already a nice size. How lovely that it's got a place of honor in your yard.

St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

Here is one of my JM seedlings. The spring foliage is yellowish-orange, something like Katsura.

Thumbnail by Todd_Boland
Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

What lovely variegations Todd.

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Here's a close up of the Koto no Ito just for fun.

Thumbnail by doss
St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

My Koto-no-ito was much more yellow. It's leaves blew off today! :(

Thomasville, GA(Zone 8a)

Only God could come up with the colors on your Koto no Ito. It is beautiful. Beauty is always in the eye of the beholder. All the pictures here are so dramatic in color. Thank you for posting. Elaine

Newport News, VA(Zone 7b)

Beautiful pictures! Several of mine went brown, but have buds for next year. A few are just beginning to turn, they are late this year.

Laura

Finally have a bit of color to show you. My Sango Kaku (Coral Bark) is turning, but has a two-tone effect at the moment. First a wide angle shot. My tree is about 7 feet tall this year, but needs filling in. I'm hoping it will do that in the next year or two.

The bark is not yet turning much red.

Thumbnail by largosmom

Same effect on one branch.

Thumbnail by largosmom

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.