DAILY PICS VOL. 26

Mysore, India(Zone 10a)

Birds, Insects, Garden, Animals..... have all interested me for as long as I can remember. We had house sparrows creating nuisance inside homes with their noise and nests. Crows were almost living with us, but outside! Eagles and Kites have coasted high in the sky, and we have always looked up to them, bending our necks back. I remember when my grandmother saw a Kite [with its white head] flying above, she would ask us to hide our fingernails! LOL [I say LOL now, because I did not know then, that it was a real grandmother's thingie]. Peacocks were seen in Zoos. But I was able to see them in its natural bounty in the cities of Pune and Karaikudi during my cricket tours. [No cameras then]. There was a cousin who fell sick for a month when their pet parrot that lived many years with them died one day. The noise of the Parakeets around dusk [though rare in our area, but their homes in certain trees esp. in the market area as I can remember] have fascinated me. The first notes from the Koels early in the morning enchanted us [even now often, during the season when it sings]. So let's begin here with the Rose ringed parakeets feeding on seedpods of Caesalpinia. Picture from the balcony room window from as close as 15 ft. or so, but peeping through the curtain gap.

Thumbnail by Dinu
Mysore, India(Zone 10a)

Twweeet Tweet.... was a common sound that we heard as young boys, but never saw the birds except in zoos and caged by some bird-lovers. I've been now watching those tailor birds and sun birds now in my own garden. A Hoopoe was a common visitor with its brown, black and white colours, crested head and pointed long beak. Now it has become extinct from our area - or so I believe.

I also am thankful to all the people here that have helped me in my Bird-watching excercise and put some fuel into the enthusiasm-fire. I can now name a few birds [and insects and of course some plants].

Here is a tailor bird looking for some customer.......... oops........... what! No sewing machine!

Thumbnail by Dinu
Lawrenceville, GA

Wow Dinu... How beautiful! Ya don't see many of those in Gwinnett County, Ga., either, Pelle!

Frankfort, KY

While the bird in your picture is indeed part of the parakeet family it is commonly called a ring-necked parrot. This ring in your picture indicates the bird is a male. The female's ring is barely visable. In my area threse birds are sold in pet shops to be used as pets. I have a breeding paid.

Mysore, India(Zone 10a)

Yes indeed, Judy. Here SHE is, striking a nice pose on the teak plant.

Thumbnail by Dinu
Lawrenceville, GA

I just can't imagine looking out my window and seeing them like I look out my window and see cardinals and so forth. Just breathtaking!

Marlton, NJ

Beautiful pics Dinu!!

Thanks so much for starting the new thread. Great job!! Pelle :-)

Mysore, India(Zone 10a)

Thanks Judy.

Thanks Pelle..... it's my pleasure.

Here is today's shot really..... a purple-rumped sunbird, but a silhouette now. But something here made me not to lose interest in this shot and delete this. I've just cropped this image and no editing done.

Thumbnail by Dinu
Marlton, NJ

Oh my gosh he's beautiful!

Marlton, NJ

WooHoo! Look who's back!!

Just yesterday I said the Red-breasted Nuthatch had not made an appearance since that first time. Well he must have heard me because here he was again today!

He was flying between 2 trees that I was standing in the middle of with absolutely no fear of me.

Thumbnail by pelletory
Marlton, NJ

Here he is about to get a drink from the hanging dish in my apple tree.

He would then grab a seed from the feeder and fly off to the other tree coming as close as 1 foot to within my head or shoulders. :-))

Thumbnail by pelletory
Marlton, NJ

Last one of him on the tree ( I believe an Elm) tucking away seeds and busy w/ other work.

What a joy to be out there with him! :-)

Thumbnail by pelletory
Brainerd, MN

How exciting to see birds in action that are not from our place on the planet! Thank you, thank you for posting.

Nice NHs!

Mysore, India(Zone 10a)

I like the idea of the hanging dish!

Marlton, NJ

They are kind of nice, can be used for seed or water (does not hold a lot of water so has to be filled a few times a day. :-)

This one will have to be replaced next year; its on its last legs.

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

I drove by this hawk today and he didn't fly away so I fired up the camera and got him on the second go 'round.

Thumbnail by bigcityal
Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

I got out and tried to get closer, but he flew away. I followed him and was able to get a little nicer shot.

Thumbnail by bigcityal
Brainerd, MN

Beautiful shot!

Marlton, NJ

Yes its a beautiful shot! You must have been happy about it.

Thanks for posting it Al !

Do you know what type it is?

I was thinking maybe immature Broad-winged Hawk or (lol) a

Red-tailed Hawk, light form, juvenile.

Probably the latter he looks big. :-)

S of Lake Ontario, NY(Zone 6a)

Al nice hawk, and Pelle like the nuthatch.
I've had one, that I finally was able to see close up and ID. He/she was busy back and forth from the feeder to hiding the seeds in the tree. I sat and watched for quite some time.

Thumbnail by debi_k
Florence, MS(Zone 8b)

Debilu..nice red-breasted. I wish we got those here.

Marlton, NJ

Great shot debilu; aren't they funny?

S of Lake Ontario, NY(Zone 6a)

Yes, Pelle, they are, and fast too! It took about 2 weeks for me to get a close up.

Lincoln, United Kingdom(Zone 8a)

Nice to see you here Dinu, I love the pic of the purple-rumped sunbird! I can see why you kept it, the bird seems to mimick the leaf shape and colour.

Luck for you pelle, getting the Red-breasted Nuthatch again! Nice pics!

Al, wow, both great pics! A change from bridges, lol.

Debilu, great close-up!

Nothing here today, too cold for me and the birds.

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

Thanks. I was happy to get it since I wasn't really looking for a bird pic or had a lot of zoom. It wasn't overly shy I think because it was hanging out near a DNR fish station and might even be there for leftovers. It probably is a younger redtail.

Janet - I didn't take any bridge pics today, hard to believe.

Nice one Debi.

Kingsport, TN(Zone 6b)

What a treat to see all your exotic bird photos Dinu! Thanks for sharing them.

I'm so glad to hear that your red breasted nuthatch is back Pell. There has been one coming to my feeders every day for a while now. I'm hoping it will stay through the winter. I spent a lot of the weekend working in the yard with the camera set up on a tripod. I would take periodic breaks from the garden to snap a few pictures. The birds were amazingly cooperative - almost eerily tame.

Thumbnail by lilyfantn
Kingsport, TN(Zone 6b)

He (or she - I'm not sure which) didn't seem to mind my presence much at all.

Thumbnail by lilyfantn
Kingsport, TN(Zone 6b)

I get so thrilled when each time he visits.

Thumbnail by lilyfantn
Marlton, NJ

Outstanding RbN pics Lily!!!!!

SO good to see you back! Pelle :-)

Kingsport, TN(Zone 6b)

oops - it looks like I repeated that top photo. sorry about that! I'll just move on to one of the house finches that always seem to be around.

Thumbnail by lilyfantn
Kingsport, TN(Zone 6b)

thanks Pell! Things are really cooking at the feeders this fall. Its probably due (sadly) to the drought conditions forcing more birds to use feeders.

Here is a titmouse that was checking out the platform feeder from above before dropping down for a fast grab.

Thumbnail by lilyfantn
Kingsport, TN(Zone 6b)

The chickadees are back in force too. I wonder if any of them are the baby that hatched in our front yard bird house this spring. As soon as I started up with the mealies they zoomed right into the feeder.

Thumbnail by lilyfantn
Marlton, NJ

Looks like your really mastering the new lens!

The pics have so much detail!

Is that a No No Feeder in the first pics?

Kingsport, TN(Zone 6b)

they are so much fun to watch

Thumbnail by lilyfantn
Beachwood, NJ(Zone 6b)

All great pics! I especially liked the TT! GM

Kingsport, TN(Zone 6b)

Yes that is a no no feeder. When I heard that food was going to be scarce this winter due to the terrible drought we have been having I decided to increase the number of feeders in the yard.

The new lens is a little on the slow and noisy side when it focuses but it does the trick at the feeders.

Thanks granmaggie, I love watching the titmouses... mice? too lol!

Here is another one of the perky little chickadee.

Thumbnail by lilyfantn
Kingsport, TN(Zone 6b)

Here is a visitor that I haven't identified. It was about the size of a titmouse or house finch. It was a grey with a blueish cast. There didn't seem to be any other marks on it like wing bars or spots. It was hanging out with a few cardinals. Anyone have any ideas?

Thumbnail by lilyfantn
Mysore, India(Zone 10a)

What fun! Lovely pictures!

lilyfantn,
Your explanation about how "tame" they are is enough indication of your pictures' sharpness - meant you were quite close to the bird. I can see hairs in the feathers clearly there! Well done.

Which is this that visited our office campus from the nearby lake?

Dinu

Thumbnail by Dinu
Kingsport, TN(Zone 6b)

My hubby and I recently took a quick trip to San Francisco which was tons of fun. I excited to spot a chestnut backed chickadee outside of one of the museums we visited and really lucky to catch a photo of it.

Thumbnail by lilyfantn

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.