DAILY PICS VOL. 26

Kingsport, TN(Zone 6b)

Gosh, I'm definately getting chickadeeitis! Wouldn't you love to see all these in person? The next best thing is seeing all the wonderful photos that you all share! Thanks Grass for sharing your boreal shots. and I love your mountain chick shots tigerlily.

I'll add a chickadee shot from this summer... a nice memory of last spring from the front yard.

Thumbnail by lilyfantn
Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

Quoting:
lilyfan, I don't know how rare they might be here

Mountain Chickadees are fairly common once you get higher up, I saw plenty of them in the Cascades up towards treeline, 1000-1500m altitude

Quoting:
I took this shot out the kitchen window on 8/11/2007

Posting this on 25/10/2007 . . . That's pretty good going, posting next month's pics already!! Can I have a go on your time machine??

Resin

Lincoln, United Kingdom(Zone 8a)

Haha, gotcha Resin, lol! MY turn to correct you! Remember, in the US they do it the other way around, here we would say 11/08/2007. I think that is correct?

I'm enjoying all the pics in the sunshine, a lull here with dull skies, I will soon go crazy!

Merritt Island, FL(Zone 10a)

"...have a go....??" mmmmm......

How 'bout these:

spanner, notecase, smalls, knackered, noughts and crosses, civvy street, half 8, plimsolls, secateurs, dustman, kerb, gaol, milliard.......

I don't say but I hadn't rather stop now Resin

Mysore, India(Zone 10a)

Wallaby,
We too here use the day-month-year format while using dates.

Here is a silhouette of the white-cheeked barbet.

Thumbnail by Dinu
Lawrenceville, GA

The red-winged blackbird pic brought back memories, lilyfantn. My family took a cruise last Christmas to the Bahamas... in Freeport, we took an excursion that found us kayaking through mangroves and then we went to a beach. There, we found red-winged blackbirds all over the mangroves. I got some bread and stood on a bridge holding my hand out, knowing I'd get one to come feed from my hand. People walked by like I was nuts... but it wasn't long until people saw the birds come to my hand for bread and then of course EVERYONE wanted to try it. The birds were so accustomed to tourists being around there, it didn't take long for them to trust me enough to feed from my hand.

Kingsport, TN(Zone 6b)

What a wonderful experience that must have been judy - I envy you! I wish I could get a good photo of the females because they are even more striking to my eye than the males even though they don't have the red epaulets.

Mysore, India(Zone 10a)

Judy,
You fed bread to them? Are they used to eating bread? Seems like a very enjoyable experience that! How I wish the birdies that visit were that friendly. Their fears here might be their prowling predators like cats. My assumption. Squirrels also are too shy.

Lawrenceville, GA

It was amazing! Yes, Dinu.. bread... it was at a beach where the people who did the excursion feed sandwiches and such to the tourists that have hired them for the day. I'm sure the birds were both accustomed to tourists and getting fed bread!
I've gotten a chickadee to take a seed from my hand in my backyard a couple times and I did actually this summer get a hummingbird to drink from a feeder I had hanging in my hand. It's so cool to know the birds are that comfortable and trusting of you.

Mysore, India(Zone 10a)

Absolutely wonderful. Hummingbirds drink from the hand-held feeder! Wow, I can't imagine that! I understand they make a noise from beating wings.... did you hear that?

Are there any ways to make the birds trust you? Or is it that certain type of birds are friendly in nature?

Here is a female Koel. Another extremely shy bird.

Thumbnail by Dinu
Kingsport, TN(Zone 6b)

What an interesting looking bird that Koel is!

Actually there is a way to train birds to hand feed. If you have the time and patience you can sit in a chair with seed in your hand (I would assume that removing your feeders would hasten the training along). OR.... you can set a dummie in human clothing up in a chair until the birds are comfortable eating from the glove on the arm of the chair. Then you put the same clothes on and sit in the same chair in the same position and the birds will eat from your gloved hand a lot quicker. Birds and Blooms magazine actually sells a cardboard figure that you put clothes on to use. I keep meaning to try this myself.

Some people also have good luck with putting seed on the top of a hat and the birds will eat from that.

I have also read that some birds will come down and pluck hair from your head during nesting season. (ouch)

Lawrenceville, GA

Patience and persistence are key, Dinu. First, they have to be used to you being out among them. Then I gradually moved my chair closer to their feeder and let them get used to me being that close to it... then I started putting seeds in my hand and sat there. Honestly, the whole process took several weekends. But the puff of wind you feel in your hand when they come, grab the seed and fly away is well worth it.
Certainly, there are "tourist" areas that have birds already accustomed to crowds and probably already used to getting a hand out! Like the one I found in Freeport, Bahamas.
Yes, the beating of the hummingbird wings.. hard to believe they make that much air but their little wings are beating so fast, it's like a fan!
Here's a Web site with some info / tips about hand feeding wild birds. A quick Google search will give you all the info you need to get started!

http://www.birdwatching.com/stories/handfeeding.html

Marlton, NJ

Nice pics guys!

Dinu, I've heard the Hummingbirds wings making the humming noise; it can be quite loud when their very close to you.

***Indiana_lily will be starting the next thread****

I saw so many birds in my yard today: 2 Tufted Titmouse, a number of Carolina Wrens, Song Sparrows, Nuthatch and Chipping Sparrows besides the regular crew.
Heres a Chipping Sparrow.

Thumbnail by pelletory
Mysore, India(Zone 10a)

Lily and Judy, many thanks for the tips. I wonder if they remain with me as tips! I can't imagine finding such a calm time, though I can rely on my patience, sitting out there with seeds in my palm offering.

pelle,
that's a nice shot of the sparrow. Nice detail -look at one stick in front of the beak shaking and also probably the beak - all the rest of the picture is still!

Jeffersonville, IN(Zone 6b)

Guess that's my cue.... :) And we are now here... http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/783938/

Anchorage, AK(Zone 4a)

Resin, we had this discussion once before about dates! In the U.S., the standard is month, day, year. When the camera is set for U.S. standard, the date is actually displayed on my computer as mm, dd, yyyy. I do understand that your standard is dd, mm, yyyy, but I am not over there.

Gary

Hi Gary - trouble is, it doesn't get any easier to understand when the order isn't specified . . . particularly when it is such a peculiar, highly illogical order!

Suppose I say "that bird is at a distance of 9/6/3 from here" . . . you have to guess, what units, and what order the units are given in, be warned they may not be in a logical order of size of unit . . . not easy, is it!!

Resin

Marlton, NJ

Okay now that thats off both your shoulders lets move on; okay? :-)

Anchorage, AK(Zone 4a)

Sorry pelletory, but I have one more question on the date subject.

Resin: How dose the date to the left of this message appear on your computer? MY date, here reads: October 25, 2007. Month, day, year. Since we are all on the same site, is the appearance shuffled by the settings in each of our own computers? Do you see the date differently than what I see?

Gary

Lawrenceville, GA

It says October 25, 2007 here in good ole Gwinnett County, Ga., Gary.
Sweet Feathery Jesus... that's what it says on Resin's post, too!

Same as you have . . . already raised it on the 'Internationalizing DG' forum ;-)

(most of the world uses yyyy/mm/dd, which is even more logical than Britain's dd/mm/yyyy, as in citing a time it gives a succession from largest (years) right through to smallest (seconds) yyyy/mm/dd hh:mm:ss)

Resin

Northern, IN

Quoting:
yyyy/mm/dd hh:mm:ss

How better to tag chronological data over a period of years? This (without hh:mm:ss) is how I date my emails, for instance.

However, 'when in Rome', etc

This message was edited Oct 25, 2007 7:00 PM

Northern, IN

Sorry, Pelle.

Marlton, NJ

Tickticktickticktick :-(

Tonasket, WA(Zone 5a)

Very enjoyable seeing all the wonderful bird photos. I really miss my chickadees/ I think the same pair was here in my garden for 8 or 9 years, then last fall a Sharp Shinned Hawk got both of them. SSH like slow moving birds so catch chickadees and Juncos. I did see one chickadee out in my Serviceberry shrub early this fall but only saw it once. Sure wish a pair would discover my garden again.

Thanks all for the pictures.

Donna

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

My wife took some pics of some swans in a quarry the other day.

Thumbnail by bigcityal
Tonasket, WA(Zone 5a)

BCAl, great pictures of the swans that your wife took. About all the water birds that left here now are Mallards and C. geese.

Donna

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.