S FL Galloping Gardeners 2007-10-22

South Florida, FL(Zone 10b)

All the rain seems to be in your area Val. I was visting someone there last night and it rained the entire time I was there. I got home and everything was bone dry. We had not received a drop.

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

What rain???

I am leaving the 27th-the12/2, which is a Sunday. Didn't check my dates. I guess I will be here the 26th. But after 12/2 if fine, actually better for me. But whatever!!!

Lizette, that's weird because the western part of the county always get lots of rain. It's been raining lightly on and off since 11 this morning. It wasn't enough to wet the ground under the Live Oaks or some big shrubs, but I'll take any water.

Nancy, if we go Monday the 26 (are they open on Mondays?) would you go with us. I would love to see the place as everybody has told me what a beauty the Begonias are and also the grounds of the nursery are nice aren't they?

Sylvain, before I forget when we go to Palm Hammock make sure to bring the Bat Plant. We'll try to revive it. Mine looked like it hit the dust at the beginning of the summer. I was really upset as I had 2 others that died, so I immediately performed emergency surgery. Took it out of the pot, cleaned the roots really well, had to cut some rotted roots. Then I repotted in fresh soil with lots of organic matter and sand. For a whille, it looked like it was a gonner, but 2 months later a leaf bud formed. Since then it has kept on getting more leaves and it looks Ok. Taccas are notorious for being fuzzy plants, so it may be a matter of too much water, too little water, compacted soil, or too much fertilizer, etc. We'll try to revive it.

Delray Beach, FL(Zone 10a)

Thanks, Val, for investing over $100 time and effort on a $25 plant. I somehow got attached to that one, hoping it would produce another flower stalk. You can't always get what you w. I realize that for most people, there are worse things in life than losing an ornamental plant . We gardeners are different.

I noticed an interesting phenomenom here this morning. I have 2 phal orchids that bloomed profusely a long while ago. The blooms lasted for months and finally died back. I didn't cut the flower stalk. I never do unless it turns brown. After 2 months of the stalk remaining green, there are 2 flower buds that have come out at the very tip of the stalk. Now, that's my kind of plant: it tries hard to please me because it knows it will end up in the canal with the turtles. Talk to your plants. I tell them: "Grow and bloom or you'll be replaced with silk flowers from the dollar store".

Big acquisition yesterday: we purchased Sony's reader. It's an electronic device that downloads the books of your choice from the electronic book stores on the internet. It can hold 80 books at one time. Check it out on this site:

http://www.learningcenter.sony.us/assets/itpd/reader

It's available at Costco. It's a wonderful gift idea for someone who loves to read. I have downloaded Beowulf yesterday evening. I had read it quickly in college but now I have the time to fully appreciate the wonderfuly convoluted writing style. Plus, it is basically free because the price you pay at Costco is offset by an equivalent book-purchasing credit with Sony for the exact same price. Best thing yet: no used books to clutter our little appartment until we can give them away to someone. When you're read a book, you store it on hour hard drive until you can send to someone else who has a Sony reader, or you simply delete it and move on to the next one. I love it.

That's it for me. Be good, all.
Sylvain.

Sylvain, I also never cut the flower stalks of my Phals and they bloom all the time. My friend Alena, who is heavy into orchids, has told me that it's not good to keep the stalks. It apparently robs energy away from the orchid to produce new flower stalks. It may be true as usually mine produce a few flowers while a new stalk may produce upwards of 20 or more. After she told me this, I went ahead and cut all the stalks back, so far I don't have any evidence of new shoots coming up. I'll have to wait and see if that theory holds true.

That Sony reader sounds like something I may want to add to my very small Xmas list (for some reason the older I get the less I want). I love reading, as some of you may have noticed I have books all over my house. I tend to keep them as they are one of the few things that I cherish. Photos, books, plants, my son's baby stuff, and a few sentimental knick knacks are the few things that I would be truly sorry to lose. But as you say, I'm running out of room to store all these books. I'm going to check the link. Thanks for letting us know.

Fort Lauderdale, FL(Zone 10b)

Hi all,
Had lots of rain here the last three days. I had to release water from the pool this morning as it was too full. We have gotten at least 3 inches over three days including this morning.

A picture of my latest blooming native. This one from seeds at Kanapaha. It's a Florida ironweed, Vernonia blodgettii, Fla native classified as Rare.

The picture was taken at dawn without flash. I wanted to capture it before it got rained on and I did.

Art

Thumbnail by artcons
South/Central, FL(Zone 9a)

Hey Art, quit hogging all the rain. : ) It's bone dry up here. We need rain, bad.

I like that Vernonia blodgettii. You always come up with the neatest plants. : )
~Lucy

Hi Lucy,
Just mentioning the rain, not trying to rub it in. Usually my yard is as dry as it gets. The past few days rain has been coming in off the ocean and it's making it to my house, a rariety.

Another picture "hot out of the yard" An Atala b'fly had just emerged and made it's first flight, after it saw me, to this Key Thatch Palm, Thrinax morrisii, a Fla native palm. I took 6 shots, this the best of the bunch. It's on the shady side of the frond otherwise it wouldn't have come out at all. There are 5 or 6 more who's cocoons are turning dark on top. This is where the wing covers up most of the b'fly. Perhaps I will get lucky and catch one coming out of the cocoon.

Art

Thumbnail by artcons

Art,... I was just teasing you about the rain. I'm glad you got some. I think I'm gonna have to do some kind of rain dance, if we don't soon get a few drops. The grass is starting to look crispy again.

I don't know if we get Atalas this far up, but he sure is pretty. I have alot of different butterflies lately all over my titonia sunflowers (Red Torch). I especially like the Zebra Longwings. They are so graceful. : )
~Lucy

Lucy,
Beginning December the county will go on once a week watering restrictions. Big increases in water bills are also on the way.

I currently have two rain barrels working, and will install three more once I finish painting the house. I don't have them for the grass, just for my plants/bushes around the yard.

Once a week watering should be more than enough to keep the grass going. As I increase my beds around the yard I am reducing my grass The trees I have been planting are getting bigger making more shade out back. One day I hope to have no grass in the back yard at all. The back yard is four times as large as out front.

My grass in the front is easy to maintain as there is a very large live oak out front. The shade really helps to keep the front yard from drying out. I will have a barrel out front for the garden there soon.

I have a well so there is no cost for my irrigating water, but I use the well sparingly and follow all the restriction rules to the letter.

Art

Miami, FL(Zone 10a)

is anyone going to the ramble at fairchild tommorrow i will be going. just let me know
cass

Thumbnail by candela

Hi Cass,
Nicely done picture. Sorry, I had other plans. It would have been good to see you again.

My four year saga of attracting Atala butterflies has finally paid off. I have seen two of them here at the same time yesterday and today. I hope means they are here to stay. Both days I have seen them on the same bushes. They were on the Powder puff, Nashia and Button sage (native lantana)

Here is a pic of one of 'em on the Nashia.

Art

Thumbnail by artcons

Here is a pic of the other Atala on Button sage, Lantana involucrate. The pictures aren't first class, but they are the best I have taken of Atala's ever. Fortunately for me and my cheap camera, they were in the shade. The biggest obstacle was the wind. It's kinda strong here today, as usual.

Art

Thumbnail by artcons

Wow Art, that is one beautiful butterfly. Do you know how far up their range is in FL, or are they just in South Florida?

I just saw an Orange-Barred sulpher, with it's winter colors, laying eggs on my cassia. I'm gonna go out any get a few to raise. They are alot prettier with alot of orange on the bottom of their wings in the winter. (If you can call this, winter) LOL : )

~Lucy

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

Congrats, Art on your long journey. I'm sure you are very happy. It's great when time and energy pay off.

Lucy,
UF states it's range as;
"Range. The Atala has been reported from Dade County north into Martin County. In 1993, it was sighted in St. Lucie and Indian River counties. The increased presence of Atala butterflies can be attributed to the increased use of coonties in the landscape and a series of mild winters."
http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/MG347

Most of you know I am not a big buyer of plants, but to attract this butterfly I purchsed Nashia (2), Coontie's (2), one Saw Palmetto Serenoa repens, one Bahama Strongbark, Bourreria succulenta and recently one Frostweed, Verbesina virginica, even though I already had the butterfly here. For two full winters I let my Shepherd's needles, Bidens alba go wild in the yard. This helped turn my fairly decent back yard grass into a mess. I have patches of missing grass everywhere and I still have the Bidens coming up all over. It will probably take at least until this spring before I MAY have the Bidens under control. But...it was worth it. It was a very iffy experiment but it worked. It could just as easily not worked.
There is a quirk to the whole experiment. The newspaper article I originally planned this experiment on didn't name the butterfly that was rare. Turns out it wasn't an Atala, but some kind of very rare hairstreak I misconscrued as being Atala. The original article mentioned a very rare butterfly that people from everywhere were flying into Ft Lauderdale to see at a location less than a mile from my yard. My thought was if they have them less than a mile away, I want one here in my yard too...but I went after the wrong butterfly...laugh!

Art

I have come to the conclusion that no matter what, Shepherd's needles will be the very last thing living on this earth. Good Luck getting rid of them, Art. : )
~Lucy

Well guys, I had been awaiting this for a while and it finally happened today. The axe has fallen and I have to remove my plant bed just under my living room window. An owner who just arrived from 6 months up North has complained that it obstructed his view of the people and cars going by on NW16th street.

I am rather distraught at this moment. I hate to part with my babies and I don't want to throw them into the dumpster, as was suggested. I am hoping I'll be able to get them a new home soon. This seems like the best place to advertize.

Anyone who wishes to save any of them is welcome to come and get them. I'll even help with the digging. Up for grabs are:
- 8-foot tall lobster claw heliconias;
- 3 brugmansias: peach, lavender and yellow;
- 1 philodendron selloum;
- some red beehive gingers;
- an orange hibiscus;
- a brugmansia that never wanted to do well for me;
- a couple copperleafs;
- 3 banana plants;
- a couple bromeliads;
- a few "love lies bleeding" plants (amaranthus, I believe);
- a large tuft of lemon grass;
- a white bird of paradise (3 feet tall);
- a large chlerodendrum;
- elephant ears;
- walking irises;
- some red cannas.

If any of these interest you, please hurry. I don't have all that much time to comply before I am cited for non-compliance and fined.

Thanks.
Sylvain.

This message was edited Nov 19, 2007 2:57 PM

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

I would be inerested in a couple but there is no way I can get there until Sat. Too Late?

Sylvain, I'm so sorry that this is happening to you. Is there a way that you can fight it? What a moron that person is, who would want to look at a road and cars isntead of plants. GRrrr some people make me really mad. Can you request another space to garden that won't obstruct the ugly views that some of those owners rather see? I feel really bad for you right now, I understand that you are upset. I would be livid and throwing a major hissy fit.

If I had the space I would go and take some of the plants, but as you know I'm giving away a whole bunch because I've literally ran out of garden space. I called a couple of friends, but they are in the same predicament I am -lack of space.

Hope that you get takers soon, it's upsetting to have to throw away perfectly good living plants. Sniff this makes me sad.

What a bummer, Sylvain. I don't know what else to say. Some people are just idiots.
~Lucy

South Venice, FL(Zone 9b)

Sylvain, I too, am sorry for your stupid neighbors. If I were closer, I'd rescue everything that needed moving and plant in my garden so you could come and visit your green babies.
Cathy

Coral Springs, FL

Hi Sylvain:
What a lousy neighbor - same one that threw water at you? I'd love to have some of the plants, but I can't make it before Wed. afternoon, late - okay?
I'd like the brugs, the copperleaf, hybiscus, bromeliad and banana plants - I don't need them all if someone else wants them.
Ging

Nancy, Saturday would be great. What would you be interested in?

Thanks, everyone. I know you're all pulling for me. I was given permission by the administration to plant there. It never cost anone (but me) a brass farthing. All I got since the beginning is griping, complaining and hypocrisy. Enough is enough. I'll remove everything and they can all eat compost, for all I care.

Sylvain.

Sylvain,
Tough break. Be careful of that guy, don't tick him off or he will probably insist you replant the grass too.
Nice selection of plants and the price is right. But I am loaded with plants that have to go in soon or the DW will put her foot or both of 'em down.
Got any 4" pots? I am hurting for them.

Art

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

Sylvain.

I would love a couple of lobster claws....

As others said, isn't there anything that you can do? Why now after all this time? Just believe in Karma!!!!

Art, I have a few 4"ers which I will be glad to take to Sylvain's on Sat. if that is OK. Do you need just the 4's or will a little bigger do also?

Have a great day all.

Art, they didn't plant any annuals in 4 inch pots here this year. Sorry. Do you realize you went through 828 4 inch pots in 1 year? Now that's what I call propagating. Keep up the good work, Art. I'm always glad when you announce that you've seen a particular species of butterfly in your garden. You worked hard enough on that project, you have a right to reap the benefits, enjoy them and let us in on the whole thing. I'll keep my eyes peeled for 4 inch pots.

Nancy, I'll keep a few lobsterclaws for you.

Now that I have laid down the law and declared that I WILL remove everything, the building's admin wants me to back down. They'll let me grow stuff as long as it's low stuff, 2 feet maximum. I told them that I would not be garden by committee. I have no interest in small plants; I never did. My decision stands. I can be quite abrupt when pushed in a corner. They can just stick the whole thing up the ying-yang. A pox on them and their descendants for 13 generations to come!

If I back down, I'll always have someone looking over my shoulder and running in with a tape measure when I'm not there. I'd rather not garden at all. When I need a digging fix, I'll go to one of you guys' garden when you're not there and dig 'till I drop. There's always Hurricane House and Ginger has already offered her garden to assuage my digging urges.

Take care, everyone and thanks for the kind thoughts.
Sylvain.

Sylvain, you can come and dig in my yard anytime you want. As a matter of fact I still have most of the front to do, so make yourself at home when you get the urge to dig in the dirt.

I agree with you about the size requirement. Those people are idiots so it's better to just withdraw that have an ongoing battle with them. It's just not worth it.

Sylvain,
I actually have about 50 left and did give away 200 for the Water Matters children's planting area last spring. There might be more than fifty with plants growing or attempting to grow in the nursery. But I am getting low.
I like your "burning your bridges behind you" attitude. Sometimes you can't give in, especially if it goes against what you stand for. If we don't stand up for what we believe in, we will get trampled.

Nancy, sure I'll take the 4" only. I have lots of larger pots. If anyone can use 'em speak up. Can you leave them with Sylvain and I can pick them up, perhaps on Sunday after I finish my excursion to the newly opened natural area in Pompano Bch., if that's ok with Sylvain.

I have another two Atala pictures for you. This morning I was expecting possibly two Atala's to emerge. Three came out. This is the best of dozens of shots of these butterflies taken this morning at 7:30 am.

Art

Thumbnail by artcons

Another emerging Atala shot. This is as close to getting it actually emerging from the cocoon as I have gotten yet. I didn't realize they came out this early. Tomorrow I will be out there at dawn, although I have no idea how the shot will come out. Perhaps I can take a light out with me...who knows.
At any rate here is the second shot.

One more note on these guys. Yesterday in doing more walk about's than normal to see if I could catch any more emerging, I counted three flying and foraging just about 15 feet from where the Coontie bed is located. If I include the one that had just emerged, that's four at once in my yard. I ran that by Sandy Koi and she confirmed that I have my own colony of Atala's.

Pappy Art
(remind me to tell you my Pappy story sometime)

Thumbnail by artcons
Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

Pappy,

That is absolutely fantabulous...... you have to be bursting with excitement. Do they stay here all year?

I'll round up the small pots that I have and will leave them with Sylvain.

G'morning everyone,

Happy Thanksgiving to all!

A couple of new bloomers in the nursery this morning. The first is a Florida Keys blackbead, Pithecellobium keyense. I have two of these, one in the yard and one in the nursery for seed stock, as it doesn't do well via cuttings. This shot is of the one in the nursery. I will put it in the yard once it makes it's seeds.

Art

Thumbnail by artcons

Second verse same as the first, but

This is a shot of a unknown name, true blue Salvia. It too is in the nursery 'cause I didn't know what color it would be. I have cuttings of several colors but they were mixed up in my sample bag (what's new)

I had to take lots of pictures of this one to get it right. I finally positioned it under the round poolside table which has a neutral color umbrella and used my tripod with a two second delay and my macro so it would come out clear. It did.

The color is true.

Art

Thumbnail by artcons

I also have a couple of "creature" shots today.

At this months MG meeting Diana Guidry spoke on Frogwatch. I questioned if my yard was so dry how do I have three frogs all the time.
Diana said to send in pictures so I am collecting pictures of my frogs.

This shot was taken last week, at night under my poolside shade tent. It's a tree frog peeking out from it's current hiding place, inside the handles of my pool supply storage shed.

Art

Thumbnail by artcons

Another frog shot. This frog is bigger than the first one. I found this frog several weeks ago stuck in my pool. She had her baby frog on her back hugging on for dear life. When I startled her she dove to the bottom of the pool with the baby holding on tight. She stayed there for a few minutes then came up for air. I knew she couldn't get out so I caught her with my pool debris net then released her and the baby, still clinging to her on the deck. She hopped away.

Last night she made an appearance while Deb and I were outside under the poolside shade tent. She hopped by on the walkway by my rain barrels heading toward the generator shed. She scared the he_ _ out of my wife. I ran in for the camera and got this shot.

That's two frogs down and one toad to go.

Art

Thumbnail by artcons

Nancy,
Thanks for the offer of 4" pots. If ok with Sylvain I will pick them up late Sunday morning.

In our locale the Atala's fly year round as do most of our local butterflies. We do get a few migrating butterflies that come down here for the winter from Central & Northern Florida.

Sandy Koi, who speaks on this subject noted the following migrate to S Florida; Common Buckeye*, Red Admiral*, American Painted Lady*, Monarch* (but we also have our own Monarch's that are permanent residents), Ocala Skipper*, Clouded Skipper*, Mourning Cloak#, Question Mark#, Snout nosed Butterfly#.
* = Central Florida species
# = North Florida or Texas-Louisiana-Alabama species that show up.

On our last count November 10 at Hillsborough we saw Red Admiral & American Painted Lady. I had this migration information in an email she had sent me so I could update our butterfly count prep gallery on PBase in my "Art's Creatures" gallery. The participants can use this gallery to test their knowledge of local butterflies to prepare for the counts.

I might as well throw in a shameless plug for this gallery. At my "Art's Creatures" gallery you can see many of the creatures I have photographed in and around my yard. Additionally I have butterfly shots from Butterfly Word, McGuire Conservatory and the Key West butterfly conservatory. http://www.pbase.com/artcons/arts_creatures

Art

One last post for today.

DW just called and noted Paul Allen's yacht Octopus is in port for five days. If you are in the area of Port Everglades (where DW works) you might stop by for a visit to pier 11 to see this beauty. Here is some background on it.

In 2003, the launch of Paul Allen's 127m (416ft) "Octopus" secured its number one position as the world's largest yacht. Microsoft's "accidental billionaire" Paul Allen - worth US$20 billion according to Forbes, the third richest man in America and 7th in the world - owns two other monsters yachts such as Tatoosh ranked 3rd in the World in 2003.

Octopus cost Allen over $200 million and has Permanent crew of 60, including several former Navy Seals. It has two helicopters, seven boats, which are housed in a marina aboard the Octopus, a 10 man submarine and a remote controlled vehicle for crawling on the Ocean floor. The submarine has the capacity to sleep eight for up to two weeks underwater.

On average, owners must spend a minimum of 10 percent of the purchase price every year to keep these yachts in good working condition and cover crew salaries. Therefore “Octopus” which cost Allen US$200 million requires a $20 million annual budget.

Art

Hapy Thanksgiving, everyone.

Art, thanks for the heads up on that yacht in the harbour. However, it must be said that there is no sightseeing allowed in the harbour. And anyone who drives to the harbour's gate stating that they're going to see that yacht will be turned away on the spot. It takes passports and ID for everyone in the vehicle to enter the harbour when you're driving someone to a cruise ship or picking someone off a cruise ship when they return but sightseeing is definitely not allowed.

Debbie, working for the Sheriff's Office doesn't face those restrictions but the man on the street does.

Sylvain.

Archer/Bronson, FL(Zone 8b)

Art,

That "True Blue" Salvia? Does it grow on long skinny stems? I ended up with some of these outside my back door. They grew and bloomed all summer and they are still here even after that freeze we had last week. And yep, they are hard to photo because they move in the slightest puff of air movement.

Happy TG all!!!!

Molly
:^))))

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.