FLowering Maple (Abutilon)

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

A friend had this growing with a lot of other smaller plants in one of her containers and we took it out this morning and I brought it home to have in the house since we will probably have a killing frost soon. . Doesn't have much of a root ball and is rather leggy!

It is flowering and I would like to cut it back to encourage lower and bushier growth but not sure when to do that.

I can of course read about it on the internet but if anybody has some personal experience to offer it would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Thumbnail by fancyvan
Landisburg, PA(Zone 6a)

Mine is tall like that and I was wondering myself if I could wack it back.......

Seymour, IN(Zone 5b)

I whacked mine in half about a week ago in order for it to fit on my indoor plant stand.
Yesterday, two more blooms opened and it seems no worse for having surgery. I forgot how easily they will root and I didn't pot up the part I trimed off ! Last year, I did root the trimed off part and it rooted in about two weeks. Lou

Winnipeg, MB(Zone 4a)

Go ahead and whack. Like Lous said it doesn't hurt them and they are very easy to start from cuttings. You can also leave a good straight trunk and make like a tree.

:) Donna

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Thanks all!

Donna really don't want a tree!

Will they root in water ( my favorite rooting medium) or are they better in something like vermiculite/potting soil/whatever?

Winnipeg, MB(Zone 4a)

I've done both.

Dallas, GA(Zone 7b)

dispatcher - did you bring it inside for the winter? Did it do ok? I have a real pretty one and would love to have it inside for a few months.
jo

Seymour, IN(Zone 5b)

Yes, mine bloomed most of the winter inside under lights. It stayed a nice size until I put it outside last spring. It really got tall and beautiful, but it would have been very top heavy to bring the entire plant inside. I have tried to bring in very tall plants and keep them thru the winter, but usually once during the winter, they get knocked over and then I have a mess to clean up. I'm glad she is blooming again! Lou

Dallas, GA(Zone 7b)

That's great, Lou Thanks for the info

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.