Oh My!Grandpa what big ears you have!!!

South Venice, FL(Zone 9b)

LouC, it looks like you all had a great RU, I like the dress you made!

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

I text message but I don't use codes. Takes too long to deciper!! LOL

Love the branch one too!!

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

Tks, Have been dragging out all my really old things that should have been pitched a long time ago. Mibus2 posted the funniest thing I have ever read. Just d-mailed her because I can't find it. Maybe she will answer tonight.

Christi

Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

Speaking of funny...this is long, but more than worth the read...have fun everyone!

If you have raised kids (or been one), and gone through the pet
syndrome, including toilet flush burials for dead goldfish, the
story below will have you laughing out LOUD!

Overview: I had to take my son's lizard to the vet.
Here's what happened:

Just after dinner one night, my son came up to tell me there was
"something wrong" with one of the two lizards he holds prisoner in
his room. "He's just lying there looking sick," he told me. "I'm
serious, Dad. Can you help?" I put my best lizard-healer expression on my
face and followed him into his bedroom. One of the little lizards was
indeed lying on his back, looking stressed. I immediately knew what
to do.

"Honey," I called, "come look at the lizard!"

"Oh, my gosh!" my wife exclaimed. "She's having babies."

"What?" my son demanded. "But their names are Bert and Ernie, Mom!"

I was equally outraged.

"Hey, how can that be? I thought we said we didn't want them to
reproduce," I said accusingly to my wife.

"Well, what do you want me to do, post a sign in their cage?" she inquired (I think she
actually said this sarcastically!)

"No, but you were supposed to get two boys!"

I reminded her, (in my most loving, calm, sweet & non-conspicuous voice, while
gritting my teeth).

"Yeah, Bert and Ernie!" my son agreed.

"Well, it's just a little hard to tell on some guys, you know," she informed me (Again with the sarcasm!).

By now the rest of the family had gathered to see what was going on.
I shrugged, deciding to make the best of it. "Kids, this is going to
be a wondrous experience," I announced. "We're about to witness the
miracle of birth."

"Oh, gross!" they shrieked.

"Well, isn't THAT just great? What are we going to do with a litter of tiny little lizard babies?" my wife wanted to know. We peered at the patient. After much struggling,
what looked like a tiny foot would appear briefly, vanishing a scant second later.

"We don't appear to be making much progress," I noted.

"It's breech," my wife whispered, horrified.

"Do something, Dad!" my son urged.

"Okay, okay." Squeamishly, I reached in and grabbed the foot when
it next appeared, giving it a gentle tug. It disappeared. I tried several more times with the same results.

"Should I call 911?" my eldest daughter wanted to know. "Maybe they could talk us through the trauma." (You see a pattern here with the females in my house?)

"Let's get Ernie to the vet," I said grimly.

We drove to the vet with my son holding the cage in his lap.

"Breathe, Ernie, breathe," he urged.

"I don't think lizards do Lamaze," his mother noted to him. (Women can be so cruel to their own young. I mean what she does to me is one thing, but this boy is of her womb, for God's sake.)

The vet took Ernie back to the examining room and peered at the little animal through a magnifying glass.

"What do you think, Doc, a C-section?" I suggested scientifically.

"Oh, very interesting," he murmured.

"Mr. and Mrs. Cameron, may I speak to you privately for a moment?" I gulped, nodding for my son to step outside.

"Is Ernie going to be okay?" my wife asked.

"Oh, perfectly," the vet assured us. "This lizard is not in labor. In fact, that isn't EVER going to happen. . . Ernie is a boy. You see, Ernie is a young male. And occasionally, as they come into maturity, like most male species, they um . . um . masturbate. Just the way he did, lying on his back." He blushed, glancing at my wife.

We were silent, absorbing this. "So, Ernie's just . just . . excited," my wife offered.

"Exactly," the vet replied , relieved that we understood.

More silence.

Then my vicious, cruel wife started to giggle. And giggle. And then even laugh loudly.

"What's so funny?" I demanded, knowing, but not believing that the woman I married would commit the upcoming affront to my flawless manliness.

Tears were now running down her face. "It's just that ... I'm picturing you pulling on its . its. . . teeny little .. She gasped for more air to bellow in laughter once more.

"That's enough," I warned.

We thanked the vet and hurriedly bundled the lizard and our son back into the car. He was glad everything was going to be okay.

"I know Ernie's really thankful for what you did, Dad," he told me.

"Oh, you have NO idea," my wife agreed, collapsing with laughter!"

Two lizards: $140.

One cage: $50.

Trip to the vet: $30.

Memory of your husband pulling on a lizard's winkie:

Priceless!

Moral of the story: Pay attention in biology class. Lizards lay eggs!

(Phyllis) Flint,, TX(Zone 7b)

Well I don't know if LOuC is on or not she hasn't replied to me since I answered her and since I popped over to look at pictures and dream of being on an island somewhere and ran across this thread I will post it for her.
but I have to admit that was a great laugh reading the lizard story only in my house it would have been me doing it not my husband

for fun who all can read the following and understand what it says??????

Brain Stuff . . >From Cambridge University .

O lny srmat poelpe can raed tihs.
I cdnuolt blveiee taht I cluod aulaclty uesdnatnrd waht I was rdanieg. The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid, aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be in the rgh it pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm.
Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Amzanig huh? yaeh and I awlyas tghuhot slpeling was ipmorantt!

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

M2 I can read that just find,Lou,still can't figure yours out!!!!LOL

Can't type but with only one finger that is why my messages are always on the short side!
Text message are you kidding me,I can still talk,sometimes hearing might be a problem!!!!

Picked this tonite as I was locking down the greenhouse for the evening!

Thumbnail by Tropicman

Is that a tropical hibiscus????
That is Beautiful..where can I find one???? LOL

keep in mind I am new to some plants as I moved from northern Illinois to Texas this year and could never keep anything "fancy" alive up there.

no problem on short messages.... it works *S*

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Yes the red hibiscus is from a variegated snow queen,and the white is pumilia ,orchid cactus,which is very fragrant.

Baytown, TX(Zone 9a)

Lovely flowers TM!

Cute story Shari! LOL Good night all!

Tropicman, what a beautiful combination!
Cathy

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

oh hohohohohahahheheh I went to bed too early. Shari, do you and JB have lizards? hahahaha

Don, The was my poor attempt to mimic. s/b worse than pig latin. I could easily read Phyllis's paragraph. Guess I'm just not brilliant enough to copy it. Still makes me laugh out loud. The hibiscus is beautiful. I have a very large tropical outside and have decided not to dig and pot. Bought a special kind of freeze blanket at HD. Will probably put Christmas lights on it and cover when we have the worst of our three day winter.

LouC

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

Just ran across a picture of the hibiscus. It was planted in a very large bowl shaped planter for a long time. Don't know how it came about but there are two root systems entangled. One is double red and the other is yellow. Makes a very interesting bloom time. Still blooming several a day.

Thumbnail by LouC
Hillsborough , NC(Zone 7a)

Love the flower combinations, both Christi's and TM's..
Here is a silly photo of Frank doing his Island girl impression...

Thumbnail by Braveheartsmom
Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

Oh what fun! Such a huge hibiscus. I've not grown one of those...yet. Have a sneaky feeling my garden is going to be very different next spring.

Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

Keep your eyes out all, in a while an article I wrote on Tropical Hibiscus will be published and you'll see how easy they are to grow. Such beauties!

Mibus 2 - I had a physcology prof in college that gave a final exam entirely printed like that to proof his point of "we see what we expect to see". Made a big impression on me - probably why I enjoy those 3-D pictures and MC Esher paintings. Ha ha.

Christi - glad you enjoyed the lizard story...I laugh every time I think about it.

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

whoohoohoohoo! Dark way too early with this time change.

I brought my two hibiscus plants in tonight since they say we may have a frost don't want to lose them they both have buds on them again BUT I LOVE the pictures y'all are posting ...
Tropicman now that you have told me what they are I am going to have to go looking for them lol

Braveheartsmom wow that is a big flower just beautiful!!!

(pouts) I wanna have a greenhouse so I can grow such lovely flowers year round LOL

almost forgot we were talking about pets and different ones at work today and I mentioned the lizard story and my boss got a good chuckle out of it too

This message was edited Nov 6, 2007 7:15 PM

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

Covered my Hibiscus tonight. It only takes a few hours of cold to hurt it. Supposed to be higher temps the rest of the week..but as I said..only a few hours.

I have gotten that lizard story by email a few times. It is a good one. lol

I have a new plant in my collection now. A passiflora colinvauxii. Someone brought them into work one day and said free to good homes. Since I have heard all about them I had to grab one. It is now sitting in front of my southern facing window which I keep the blinds closed on most days so it don't get burned.

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

Pepper, I've followed you around for over a year now. I have never known where you work...or rather what kind of work. Obviously, it is wonderful because you are involved with plants. That would be great for all of us plant addicts. Good on you.

LouC

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

LouC,3day winter!!!LOL
And your already cold enough to cover your Hibiscus?Gonna be a long winter!!!!

BH,Goes great with Franks shirt!!!!LOL
M2,sunny window will keep them blooming thru the winter as well!
Pepper,exactly where do you work?Haven't heard of that passie,what color of flower might that be?
Shari,can't wait to read your hibiscus article!

I work here. www.powellgardens.org

TM, It is supposed to have small, fragrant purple and white blooms. It also has varigated leaves.

Supposedly the person bought them from here: www.gkexoticplants.com/

Here is a pic of it. www.gkexoticplants.com/images/flowers/Flowerz/P._colivauxii[1].jpg

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

Wow. Pepper. That's not work. I would be ready to go to work everyday. What a beautiful place. Are you and administrative assistant?

Christi

Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

HAHAHAHAH no...Pep gets down in the mud with the plants. Actually I don't know, but I do know that she works her tail off lifting and toting, and getting all costumed up. Without the lifting and toting it would sure be a wonderful job for me! Lucky girl!

wow Pepper I would gladly work at a place like that any day outside is my favorite place to be

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Are you kidding me?????
To work in the closest thing to heaven!!!
Lucky you!!!!!

LOL. I'm not a gardener there though the gardeners wish I was. I do help them out sometimes though.

I also help out sometimes during events. I will get in costume, light candles, whatever needs done if I am able to do it.

This message was edited Nov 7, 2007 7:53 PM

Here is a waterfall at work. Part of the Rock and Waterfall garden. This is not a *real* waterfall. lol. Manmade.

Thumbnail by pepper23
Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

Oh my gosh. And you've been keeping this under your hat all this time. I'm hyperventilating. puff, puff, puff

Hillsborough , NC(Zone 7a)

Beautiful Waterfall. This is just like the one that lives in my head!

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

I can hear the sound it makes,200 miles away!!!!

What a beautiful water feature, must be great to go to such a neat workplace everyday.

Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

Pepper - show em the Chapel...its so cute! Lovely area.

Baytown, TX(Zone 9a)

Love the waterfall Pepper! Must be a joy to go to work everyday! What a blessing to work there!

Jeanne

Oh, that's only a small part of the waterfall. I don't get to listen to it because it is in the woods and I am very rarely in there. It actually gonna be shut off pretty soon because we don't want to bust any pipes this winter. The chances of that happening are high because we keep swinging from 60s to 20s regularly.

I will find a pic of the Chapel and post it.

Here it is.

Thumbnail by pepper23
Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

Beautiful, Pepper. Do you ever an opportunity to visit the Chapel?

Everyday!! LOL.

Here is the ceiling on the inside.

Forgot pic.

Thumbnail by pepper23

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.