Oh My!Grandpa what big ears you have!!!

Rancho Cordova, CA(Zone 9a)

Have any of you grown Giant' (Aroid Plant)
SKU: 16011 Sale Price $14.95 $7.48 (Savings: $7.47)

Alocasia ‘Borneo Giant’

Alocasia ‘Borneo Giant’ - Leaves on this huge plant can reach 6 feet across and over 12 feet long! This very cool elephant ears thick- sculpted, glossy-green leaves are held upright on dramatically rigid stems. Stops visitors in their tracks! Likes shade. Zones 9 and higher.

Ships in 5 inch plastic nursery pot. 10 to 12 inches in height.

Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

Well I sure don't have room for something that gienormous! Maybe Chrissy or Carol with much more area than I have. Sounds like a fun plant!

Dallas, TX

Both EE's and caladiums break me out just like poison ivy for about one hour if i get a lot of the juce on me. I've eaten POI and UGH. is the right word for it! My Borneo Giant leaves are 60ins. long, 50ins. wide.but are really small and tiny compared to those in Florida and the tropics. Jerry

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

Just thinking about eating POI gives me shudders and I have never eaten it. I don't plan on ever eating it either.

Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

Tahitian poi is actually very good, sweet ...almost like a pudding - but made from breadfruit not taro. I simply can't tolerate Hawaiian poi...I'm always astonished seeing people eat it. Must be an acquired taste.

Hillsborough , NC(Zone 7a)

You guys - poi tastes like nothing! It's just got a horrible texture, sort of like wallpaper paste as they say....Living here you have to get to tolerate it, every lu'au you go to in people's homes poi is served and it is made with loving care usually by the Auntie. You really can't not eat it...
Poi is made with three different thickness, one finger, two finger, three finger...Thats right - guess how you eat it!

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

LOL!!!
So is my mash potatoes,depending on how much milk I pour in before I mash them!!!LOL

Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

Typical island saying..."He's as thick as three finger poi" ha ha

Hillsborough , NC(Zone 7a)

Haven't heard that one Shari!

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Kind of like stuck in the mud!!!!

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

Maybe not quite as big as Don's.

Thumbnail by LouC
Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

Christi - they are gorgeous!!!!

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

Well, thank ya mam. Between the EE's and the root beer plant, may not have to plant anything else next spring. They grow fast, come back, multiply and require little attention.
Can't ask for more.

Thumbnail by LouC

LouC what is a root beer plant? is that horehound?

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

Another angle of the hoja santa....root beer....could be the same as horehound. I really don't know. Smells like root beer or sassafras. They told us to wrap a leaf around fish and either grill or steam. Haven't tried it yet. Lots of pups coming up around it.

Thumbnail by LouC
Baytown, TX(Zone 9a)

We ate poi when we were in Hawaii....had it with Pork and onions! It wasn't bad!

Christi, if you get too many pups, I'll take one...... :0)

Hi everyone!

Jeanne

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Lou yours must be bigger than mine,I don't see you at all in the picture!!!!LOL

Lou don't they make a tea out of the leaves as well????

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

Right, Don. Those EE's just plain covered me up. Be glad to send you some, Jeanne. I don't know how but Mitch is coming this weekend and he can show me how. I still owe Janet yellow ice plant.

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

If you offer me some rootbeer next spring,I'd glady except!!!!
Two too many ears now!!!!LOL

Lawrenceville, GA(Zone 7b)

LouC those EE are pretty! We have a row of cedars beside the house along a fence acting as a windbarrier. Some of them are leaning and I told hubby maybe we should cut them down and plant the upright EE's in their place LOL!
I have never heard of root beer plant either. Something new for me to look for.

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

We bought it under the name of Hoja Santa. I believe it is in the PlantFiles.

Dies completely to the ground as does the EE....and comes back as soon as the ground is warm. It is beginning to go dormant now....has lost several leaves due to the shorter days.

Saint James, MO(Zone 6b)

WOW! Now I am wishing I had purchased the Hardy ones at Lowe's when on clearance! That is quite a set of ears! The way you put it is what drew me here as well! Too cute! Misty

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Thanks
Yes and this proves,gardening for kids is just as much as fun for kids as it is for us grown ups!!!
Grand kids just love running around the garden,and under the huge ear plants!

Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

Yep... all the Easter Egg hunts, and hide and seed games are in my garden...as DD puts it, mine has more "crooks and nannies" than her's does. Ain't grandparentin' fun?!

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

Ohhh, Thank goodness, I finally got the PC running again.

Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

I hate it when my pooter's down....just makes me crazy! Welcome back!

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

LOU,well I hope you can catch it before it gets away again!!!LOL

Rancho Cordova, CA(Zone 9a)

I run Spyware Doctor and Registry Mechanic and my putter runs much better and does not get away from me http://www.pctools.com/

--Award-winning spyware protection to secure your PC against privacy and tracking threats. Spyware Doctor is a top-rated malware & spyware removal utility that detects, removes and protects your PC from thousands of potential spyware, adware, trojans, keyloggers, spybots and tracking threats. Now with AntiVirus! Read More Download Purchase

Registry Mechanic -- Award-winning registry cleaner to fix Windows® errors and optimize PC performance. Registry Mechanic is an advanced registry cleaner for Windows® that can safely clean, repair and optimize your registry in a few simple mouse clicks! Read More Download Purchase

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

Would you believe those are the exact same programs that I run? Next door neighbor is a programmer and he finally came over and did whatever it is that he does. Back up. Don, you made me laugh out loud. ROFLOL. Thought I would never figure out what that meant.

Good day in the neighborhood.

Tks for the information, Jim. Helps to know I have good protection. Think I got the recommendation from PC World magazine. I don't know how but I get it every month. didn't even subscribe.

Off to see the wizard.

Christi

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Christi,I wondered if you'd catch that!!!!!LOL

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

Don, my above posting was confusing as usual. I got the "pc running". It is all of these initials that sometimes baffle me...as in ROFLOL.

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

I know it takes me several minutes to guess what everybody is saying with all these fancy abbreviations!!!!

Baytown, TX(Zone 9a)

At least y'all are starting to get the hang of it....it's mostly all greek to me still!

This message was edited Nov 5, 2007 9:47 AM

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

It still takes a few for me too. lol

Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

Rolling on the floor laughing out loud. Rolling on the floor laughing my a.. off.

My grandson's favorite...LSHIFOTB...Laughing so hard I fell off the branch...

I have as much fun with the alphabet soup as I do with the post's themselves! ☺

South Venice, FL(Zone 9b)

"LSHIFOTB...Laughing so hard I fell off the branch"

I never saw/heard that one! Cute, I will add that to my collection of soup, thanks!

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

Easy to tell who does text messaging on their cell phone. 'nuther whole language all together...

I can't manage that, I have butter fingers on those little teeny keys on the phones!

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

yuo shloud go to the Texas froum . Funeisnt thnig ever. Wroes tahn gip litan.

Hee hee, that took me a while to decipher!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.