Oh My!Grandpa what big ears you have!!!

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

The better to hear you with my dear!!!!

Thumbnail by Tropicman
Baytown, TX(Zone 9a)

Those certainly are "Big Ears" Grandpa!!! LOL

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

You should have seen the bigger ears I had to cut off just so I could get it inside!!!!!

Baytown, TX(Zone 9a)

Too much! What do you feed those things?

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

LOL!
Remember little shop of horrors??
Heck maybe the postman, yesterday we didn't get any mail!!!!LOL

Compost!!!!!

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

I thought the ones we had at work were big but yours are bigger!! lol

Anything besides the postman Tm?.....Wow!!!!(a serious question)

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

I have some EE just like that! Thankfully, I don't have to dig them. They die down to the ground and come back when the ground warms up in the spring. Do they have a special name? Bought the bulb at a nearby nursery 3 years ago. It must have weighed 3-4 pounds itself. Now it has multiplied several times. Last year had to get the yard crew to dig and divide it. I don't know how in the world you ever do that by yourself. It took two guys here. So excited that I have something that Don does. Does that make us cousins?

LouC

Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

You could make enough Poi to feed all of Kansas! That is if anyone would eat it....ugh - I really don't care for Hawaiian Poi. Much prefer Tahitian...made from breadfruit rather than taro.

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

So do I have a taro plant? Everything here is just called elephant ear and until DG I didn't know there was any difference. Obviously, I still don't. Lesson, please, or point me in the direction to learn.

Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

I'm not sure, but most ee's are a form of or in the family of wild taro. At least I believe so. I'm sure more knowledgeable folks will correct me if I am wrong here.

Here are my EE's........:( I did grow Taro from a taro in the supermarket once but it died in a bad Winter....must try that again....a lot better prepared now

Thumbnail by
Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

My! Your's are completely different from ours....mine look more like Don's. I will try to get some pics later.

Stockton, CA(Zone 9a)

Wow, those are some big ears you have! LOL With a subject line like this one, how could I NOT come look! LOL

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Chrissy is that the plant from Hawaii that is hard to come by,not sure about the spelling by Brigham,something like that,it has white flowers,I believe it grows in the higher elevation there,off the cliffs.

Pudgie,thats what little red riding hood said tooo!!!LOL

Lou,taro ears points down to the ground,where Alocasia ears point to the heavens!!!

I'd like to try the alocasia robusta or Gigantum ,those leaves get 12 ft long and half as much as wide,huge ears,well maybe not,would have to build a bigger greenhouse!!!

Sorry TM I know I am thick but I don't understand your question...in regard to?

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Your picture of your ears above !
Shari says it looks nothing like hers!!!

See I told you I am thick ......ha ha ha. :)

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

You might be thick,but you still have a thin sense of humor!!!!LOL
Your something else!!!
I can't imagine anyone letting you alone by yourself!!!
Just kidding I think your great!!!

If we were neighbors the laughter would never stop!!!!LOL

Wouldn't it be nice! :)

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Well this boy is off to bed,4 hours goes by fast!!!!
Then life starts all over again!!!
Nite!

Lawrenceville, GA(Zone 7b)

There's a post concerning these beauties in the Aroid forum:
Aroids: Wonderful NEW EE'S from LARI ANN at AROIDIA RESEARCH

I keep lusting after these EE every time I pass by a house up the street. I'm like you, LouC, they are all EE. Kinda like my hubby thinking every cat with blue eyes is a Siamese. LOL I'm still learning....

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

Rann, They are the easiest thing I have to grow. Really take care of themselves are are so showie. After the first year, you have more from the same start and they can be spread quickly. The $8.00 I gave for the bulb like Tman's ears has given back 10 fold.

Just plant in the spring after the ground is warm and it will do it's thing from now on.

Lawrenceville, GA(Zone 7b)

The nursery near me has them for $5, hubby has banned me from shopping until next year LOL! I have about 20 + plants to bring inside for winter. Funny thing is, he brings me plants all the time that customers give him, so he's helping my addiction.
Thanks for the info, I will try them :)

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

In your zone you wouldn't have to bring them in. Plant now before the first frost. They will die down but just cover with newspaper and mulch to protect the roots. Don't cut the tops yet. That is a bargain and you can see just what you have while they have "ears". Mine all started from the bulb and I didn't have a clue what they would be. Didn't know until yesterday why some reach for the sky and some droop to the ground. Doesn't really matter.....I love them all. Or you could put the nursery pots together in the garage and just sort of wad newspaper all around the sides and top to protect the root. There are a lot of experts here....some posting.....some lurking. My directions are terrible. Maybe this will urge someone to give you the real scoop.

New Madison, OH(Zone 5a)

Nice 'ears' Don!

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Thanks,working on a new product,Organic Earmuffs!!!LOL

New Madison, OH(Zone 5a)

LOL!!!

For you TM....hi everyone :)

Thumbnail by
Baytown, TX(Zone 9a)

Chrissy those sure are big!

Crosbyton, TX(Zone 7a)

is that greenhouse reinforced with plastic...or is it created with plastic?

and the little bird
bird bird ...bird is the word ....wella bird bird ......bird is the word

Thumbnail by

Hi there has been chat about storing stuff in the cold .....if you can fit the pots into polystyrene boxes from the fruit shops they insulate.
Hpe everyone is enjoying the gradual cooling of the weather while we get ready to roast...... augh!!!.That's why I like lots of shelter and greenery ....I don't do the heat well.

Baytown, TX(Zone 9a)

It was cooler today, and we had a gentle breeze. It even got windy there for awhile! It was so nice! It did rain briefly, but not for long! I don't do heat well either Chrissy!

Happy gardening all! :)

Do I love you....... my oh my ....river deep mountain high ......yeh yeh yeh

Thumbnail by

Oh how I love you baby.......see the brush! ha ha ha.....baby baby

Thumbnail by
Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Oh I wish my big bird would bloom!!!
Little one has sent up a flower stalk!

Stick,bubble solar pool cover then covered with 6 mil plastic,combined 18 mil worth of overall plastic strength.

Severe storms ,rain is coming down very very hard!!!

mulege, Mexico

i seem to recall reading the EE's are poisonous. does anybody know about this?

katiebear

Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

Yes Katiebear, most if not part of all ee's are poisonous, or can cause skin irritations at the least. Obviously there is some way of getting the taro to an edible stage, since many people eat that, but without knowing for certain what you have, I would not suggest trying it.

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

Did not know about the skin irritations......I look like a child with all kinds of bites, rashes, bumps....you name it. Possible that some of the rashes come from the many EE's I have.
If there is anything in the garden that would possibly bite, it finds me....even with 95% deet.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.