Euphorbias for Hart :)

Shenandoah Valley, VA

Pagancat, our climate is probably very similar to yours and it is humid in summer. The only thing I'd watch for with euphorbias is making sure they don't get too much wetness in the soil but humidity doesn't seem to bother them. Also, some aren't hardy in our zones. I lost my martiniis last spring during that extreme cold snap.

And I don't know if Debbie (rcn48) can tell you, but click on her name and then her website and you'll see that she and her husband sell plants. Betcha they have some of these.

Plant Delights sells quite a few but their shipping charges are horrible. I've found some at this place but haven't ordered any. Prices and shipping look reasonable.

http://www.canyoncreeknursery.com/catalog.html#euphorbia

Lexington, VA(Zone 6a)

oops, forgot to come back and answer your question hart :) yes, that's Blackbird in back of 'Helena's Blush' - combined them in a container with Sedum 'Angelina' but the other containers got so big this summer that poor Angelina just withered away - too much shade.

Pagancat, glad you enjoyed the photos! "but I do miss my agaves and my succulents" LOL, just returned from a visit with my son in Scottsdale and fell in love with the Agaves in the landscapes there :) I'm determined to figure out a way to get a few and grow them in pots to display in the gardens for the summer - but then of course I have to find room for them inside over the winter LOL Almost forgot to welcome you to the Mid Atlantic forum - no one is turned away here, the more the merrier! Your climate shouldn't be too much different than ours, maybe a little warmer and yes, it is very humid here in the summer. Hart's right, they require good drainage but with the drought this summer and more expected next year shouldn't be a problem :( They're extremely drought tolerant! We have lost a few this year but not because of the cold snap last year - had a really weird problem with some type of borer that we've never seen before - hopefully this won't be a problem in the future. I have read that these Euphorbias are "short-lived" (4-5 years) but we have alot of perennials that disappear after that length of time and I'm willing to sacrifice this one negative aspect in lieu of all the positives for this plant in the garden! Actually in the process of writing an article for DG right now about these lovelies - not sure when it will be published, but keep your eyes open :) Will have lots of pictures to share next spring!

(Sheryl) Gainesboro, TN(Zone 6b)

Hart, thanks for the confirmation on the humidity. I know a lot of succulents like high humidity with sharp drainage (I'm thinking of a lot of the S. African/ Madagascar natives) but it would be my luck to find one that powdery mildew or something equally obscene.

Ugh - last spring really decimated a lot of plants, didn't it? The only good part for me was that I hadn't planted anything yet in my new home here. Hopefully there will be no repeat this spring - it would sting a bit more.

I've spent a lot of time on Plant Delight's website, salivating, but have never been able to get over their prices. The other one that I love but can't quite do (especially as we're looking at succulents!) is Yucca Do - OMG. Great stuff. Priceee.

Debbie, not that you would ever think of actually scheduling your visits to your son to coincide with the Desert Botanical Gardens bi-annual sale, but should it *ever* happen (heh!) they often have somre really nice agaves. http://www.dbg.org/ The local Cactus/ Succulent society also has their annual sale there and have new intros, too. The DBG is in So Scottsdale, BTW! And the agaves would be so easy to bring home - just shake the dirt off of their roots and be sure to let them dry for a couple of days before re-planting. There are some that are quite cold hardy (from Idaho and such) but most of my faves (A. attenuata and A. desmettiana) are definitely warmer weather babies. Another favorite (A. parryi, below) might take slightly cooler temps.... would have to look it up.

Anyway, am thrilled to have found this thread and am dreaming succulent dreams for this spring!

Thumbnail by Pagancat
Lexington, VA(Zone 6a)

I've been to DBG!!! Actually went there in 2001 when Rick had back surgery in Phoenix - unfortunately because of his 'situation', we weren't able to walk the trails and just visited the entrance and grabbed a bunch of plants from the Garden Shop to bring back with us! I was able to visit one nursery while I was there this year and saw plenty of "goodies" I would have loved to bring back with me but poor planning on my part, I didn't have enough room in my suitcase. I've already made a note to self: take extra suitcase next time! LOL When my son was driving us around this year, we drove by DBG and I really would have liked to visit again but we just didn't have enough time :( It's definitely on my agenda for next visit! That Agave is beautiful and I actually think it's the same one I plucked a pup from in the plantings around my son's property - keeping my fingers crossed that I'll have success with it :)

Good luck with it! They also have a cultivar now that has a red instead of black tip and it's wavy - kinda like a flame.

I think March and October are the DBG's big sales.

Hope your DS's situation will be okay - it's hard to have folks far away.

Metro DC, MD(Zone 7a)

I finally got around to this thread. Rcn, I absolutely positively love your first photo, the colors and textures in that planting make me very happy. I've now got a bookmark in my brain to give euphorbias a try, so thank you.

PC, are you on the snow/ice path or did it miss you? I hope the ponies don't have to don their ice skates.

Nope, so far, so good - but we'll see if it snows tonight.

Heck, I'd almost rather the ground froze than this **#@!$ mud....

Lexington, VA(Zone 6a)

wrightie, I've enjoyed these Euphorbias so much, I've made them the subject of an article I'm writing! Probably won't be "published" until sometime in January, early February, but be sure to watch for it!

Metro DC, MD(Zone 7a)

Cool - I will keep my eyes peeled!

Will you be sure to announce it on this thread?

Better yet, why don't you let us preview it for you, heh!

Lexington, VA(Zone 6a)

Pagan, LOL, I'll let you know as soon as I schedule it. Just a few minor changes and then I can submit it for approval and schedule the article. I'm having alot of fun with this article because I absolutely love Euphorbias :)

*sigh* .... oh boy, that patience thing again.... geez.

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

I'm bumping this up so I can find it...LOL. Decided since the DGD is mobile now that the cacti in the front yard's not the most brilliant of ideas...at least those closest to the steps/sidewalk. Diane's been suggesting the Euphorbias, to me, forever...so I think this will be the perfect "in place of" (cacti) to grow along side the sedums, semps, and ...grrr...the "other" stuff I can't think of the name right now...LOL

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

RCN's article is wonderful -- now I am on the hunt to acquire all those Euphorbias! http://davesgarden.com/guides/articles/view/373/

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

I know...me too...ok well, at least: E. ‘Blackbird’, griffithi 'Dixter', &
amygdaloides var. purpurea

Sequim, WA(Zone 8a)

Looking at the article I feel a roadtrip coming on later this spring :-) I thing many of these would be awesome in my tiny front yard :-)

Lexington, VA(Zone 6a)

Becky, would love to introduce you to my Euphorbias :) Hopefully they'll look as good this year as last!

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

I too think they are beautiful and loved your article as well. Where do you get yours? Do you order them online for from a catalog?

Shenandoah Valley, VA

I'm so glad Debbie and I have created so many euphorbaholics. LOL I have never understood why you never see them at local garden centers or even in most of the catalogs because they're so pretty and so easy.

I'm seriously lusting after some of the ones Debbie has too, especially Blackbird.

BTW, I was so thrilled to notice a couple of weeks ago that one of my two Martiniis that had died has come back! It only has one stem but it's looking pretty good.

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

I, too, would like to know where to order these from - esp. the following:
Euphorbia ‘Blackbird’
Euphorbia griffithi 'Dixter'
Euphorbia amygdaloides var. purpurea

Shenandoah Valley, VA

Park has Blackbird, but you know they're going to charge an arm and a leg for an eensy, weensy 2 inch plug sized plant.

White Flower Farm, Plant Delights (under a different name) and Canning Perennials all have it.

Heck, what am I doing? Debbie has it and some of the others, Chantell.

http://www.rickscustomnursery.com/perennials.htm

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Ah thank you, Diane!!

Lexington, VA(Zone 6a)

Happy, thank you for the posting the link to my article :) I've been so busy lately I haven't been keeping up with all the threads - scrolled back through this one and realized I had promised to post the link and totally forgot! My head has been in the clouds lately with visions of spring and getting ready for our trip to Florida the end of this week - I can't wait :)

Crozet, VA

Have a great Florida trip Debbie. Sounds delightful. Wish I were going with you. ha-ha

Ruby

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

Have a wonderful time in Florida. It usually snows in DC near Valentine's Day, so you'll miss it!

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Yes Debbie - have a great time...very much enjoying your articles!!

Sequim, WA(Zone 8a)

Debbie - enjoy Florida and we'll discuss Euphorbs when you come back - I feel a huge order coming on :-)

Done decided to do some re-arranging/moving of plants this spring - I need to start focusing on what I have actually learned and not just planting haphazardly :-)

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

OMG - ditto to what Becky said...I've proven I can grow a C & S bed in VA now it's time to pass on the plants...

Ugh - I'm going to have to totally ammend my soil before I can even think of purchasing any of these lovelies.... grrr (clay soil).

Lexington, VA(Zone 6a)

Pagancat, no problem growing the Euphorbias in clay soil unless it's wet. Most of our soil is miserable red clay and the Euphorbias do just fine :)

Trying to catch up after our trip - finally loaded my photos and I promise I'll post some soon!

Mmm - looking forward to that!

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Debbie or anyone else....I know someone looking for Bonfire Euphorbia...anyone know of this one?

Lexington, VA(Zone 6a)

Chantell, we started Bonfire last fall but I can't say that they're showing much promise right now :( It looks like it "could" be a beautiful plant...I love the form of Euphorbia polychroma which is the 'mother' of this plant and with the burgundy foliage it should be a winner, only time will tell!

Shenandoah Valley, VA

It's a little bit early to know what a euphorbia is going to look like when it's blooming. (Debbie, I hope you're going to post some more pictures for us when yours are!)

Chantell, I assume from the name it's one that has flame red bracts when it's blooming. Tell your friend there are several others that she might want to check out, such as Fireglow
http://www.dkimages.com/discover/Home/Plants/Ornamental-Groups/Perennials/Euphorbiales/Euphorbiaceae/Euphorbia/Euphorbia-griffithii-Fireglow/Euphorbia-griffithii-Fir-2.html

http://www.crownsvillenursery.com/images/EuphorbiaFireglow.jpg

or Dixter
http://www.whiteflowerfarm.com/28953-product.html

http://www.whiteflowerfarm.com/28953-product.html

These are both griffithii euphorbias rather than polychromas so they're going to have a little bit different form.

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Thank you both!! She seemed to be under the impression (it was from Dutch Gardens - which I quickly looked up in the watchdog and told her NO to ordering from them) that it was multi colored i.e. red/orange/yellow (don't quote me on that though).
Debbie - do you know at this point if you'll have some available for sale?

Lexington, VA(Zone 6a)

Chantell, I just looked it up on their site, WOW their prices are almost as bad as Wayside and Whiteflower Farm!!! Deceiving picture, but what can you expect from them :( Even though I haven't seen this plant through a whole season yet, I've been led to believe that the foliage emerges green in the spring with the yellow flowering bracts, then quickly changes to the deep burgundy color. Most of the Euphorbias will develop deeper hues in the fall, but Bonfire's "claim to fame" is that it changes much sooner.

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

I've passed on what you all have said...thank you so much for helping me with this. Of course I told her "thanks....now I NEED one too!" LOL

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.