Applying homemde compost or bought...

(Zone 4a)

I have 2 bins to empty this fall into my gardens Yay!!! How thick should it be layed down in the gardens? Second question...is it just better to put the compost around the plants and how thick would you suggest?? My fear is that I am putting down to little at a time because I am stingy with it. I want all the benefits of my hard work, sweat and time into making the pefect compost so now I want to apply it correctly. LOL.

North Augusta, ON

I put it 2 or 3 inches deep..........I lift up the plants and slide it under. Spread it in between as well. Since you only have a bit, maybe just around the plants this time, next time all over....I had 25 wheelbarrows of it to play with.

(Zone 4a)

Ohhhhhhhh I would be in heaven with all that compost you lucky duck!!!

North Augusta, ON

We get 2 batches....we have a 3 bin system(homemade cinder block bins). The stuff we throw in all winter, come spring, we tarp it so it cooks good, turn it every other day and water occasionally. While it's cooking in one bin, we are filling up the other two in the spring and summer...when they are full, we toss the two together into one, cause it's shrunk a bit...by then we have used the winter stuff so there's a free bin to put fresh stuff in while we cook the summer stuff....... same idea, tarp, turn, water when dry, use in the fall......power mulch!!!! The 3 bins have movable dividers so we can make them as big or small as needed.

Southern, CT(Zone 6a)

Nice system 3G.
Dawn, while some folks turn the compost in, it is not necessary. Worms will eventually do the work for you if you just put it on top. i agree that 2-3 inches is ideal.

North Augusta, ON

Thanks..it works well......I don't turn it under because my beds are 10 years old or more....everything's growing pretty tight .........I can barely get it spread between things. Sometimes I just have to kinda wiggle a shovel full in between....like a poppy patch, for instance...just hold a full shovel over them and wiggle it on.....lol

Southern, CT(Zone 6a)

Sounds like a great situation to be in! How long have you been gardening this plot?

(Zone 4a)

Hey great info - thanks....I might go a spreading today!!! If it doesn't rain :(

North Augusta, ON

I've been here 15 years....started with the usual gardens around the sidewalks and expanded from there every year...now there's hardly any lawn!!!!

Thumbnail by threegardeners
Southern, CT(Zone 6a)

That is great. I have 6 years at this house but it isn't enough yet.

North Augusta, ON

It takes time....6 years is a good start!! I add a bit every year, the long L shaped bed I did over 2 years....and of course, when I edge them in the spring, they sneak out a few inches as well.

Thumbnail by threegardeners
Southern, CT(Zone 6a)

I have been fairly serious about gardening for 11 years. Unfortunately we moved after the first 5 years, plus my soil in this house is much more challenging.

North Augusta, ON

What kind of soil do you have there? Here, it is pure sand......when I first dig a bed it is almost waterproof the way water rolls off the sand.....even after 15 years of mulching, there is still a lot of sand.

Southern, CT(Zone 6a)

Very acidic clay here. Throughout the region, but really bad in my yard.

North Augusta, ON

Yuck.....makes me happy to have my sand....

Southern, CT(Zone 6a)

The devil you know...

(Zone 4a)

I have another question on what to put in your compost bin. We have a HUGE pine tree in the front yard that has lost a lot of needles. These needles are long ones - not the short ones. Can these be composted? I just have them in a big pile right now - not sure if I just should take them to the dump.

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

NO - not the dump. I like them for walkways and we use many, many bags of them each year.

I agree with the 2 - 3" as a mulch and the worms do love it. I always give more to my favorite plants like clematis and roses, less to the coreopsis and those I want to keep on the dry side.

We do have 6 compost bins and end up with 2 (same routine as threegardeners) each year so I get one for the gardens and DH gets one for the vegetable garden.

(Zone 4a)

Hmmm I see you have good use for pine needles but I don't really. I mean I have no walkways or anything. However not sure if you answered my question - can they be composted? I am trying to compost what I can but if I can't do anything useful with them I guess I will ship them to your pirl or out to the dump they go LOL

Sure they can be composted - NO DUMP!

(Zone 4a)

Are you sure NO DUMP?? You sound pretty adament about that LOL Ok ok I won't bring them to the dump LOL.

Good!

Lower Hudson Valley, NY(Zone 6b)

Pine needles make a nice mulch.

Exactly what I was just outside doing, Victor.

(Zone 4a)

Yeah but will they compost nicely? I like easy compost!

Southern, CT(Zone 6a)

Dawn, They compost!

Dave is right.

The smaller any item is, the faster it will decompose. The eventual end product of compost is humic acid - food for your plants.

(Zone 4a)

Hahaha ok - I will quit with the pine needles now. Thanks for the info.

I would send them to the dump.

Why?

Joking again. Trying to get you to post 'NO DUMP!' again.

Okay. I'll post to please you: NO DUMP!

Thank you.

NO DUMP!

My pleasure.

Southern, CT(Zone 6a)

WHAT A DUMP! (in Bette Davis voice)

NO DUMP! can be a message to dog walkers who don't scoop.

We had that experience a few years ago with a weekend person who let her dog run free as she took her morning stroll and the dog always peed on our lawn, at the edge near the street. One day Jack spoke to her about it and she informed us the town owns 10' of property on the street side. Jack countered with the fact that he feeds the lawn, puts down grub control, mows it, weeds it, etc. She shut up and hasn't been seen again.

Good! More of people feeling 'entitled' - drives me nuts. Lack of responsibility and the feeling of entitlement underscore most problems today.

.......and lack of respect. That one really bothers me!

Yes - that's related to personal responsibility but absolutely - lack of respect for anything or anyone - including themselves.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.