picture of parking strip - any add in ideas?

Livermore, CA(Zone 9b)

I recently took out the grass in the parking strip (about 80-90' long) It's difficult to take a picture as it goes around a corner. I have put a surprising number of plants in, but still not the 'full' look yet. *I do have about 170 bulbs to go in the ground, including crinums, crocus, daffys, alliums and tulips) Any suggestions? I worked alot of compost, manure and good top soil in; mostly this is full sun, south exposure (the front half does get late afternoon shade)

Thanks for any ideas - I'm going for a little privacy, but pretty. :)

Thumbnail by Redtootsiepop
Livermore, CA(Zone 9b)

here's another shot, sorry about the pictures, it is hard to tell where to take the shot from *and I know I need to mow the lawn, it's been raining for 4 days!)

Livermore, CA(Zone 9b)

arggggggggg, my computer shut down in the middle of that - sorry :( for the double picture

The is from the other side near the corner.

Livermore, CA(Zone 9b)

and I hope this one is from the front ha ha ha

So. Puget Sound, WA(Zone 8b)

That's a very ambitious project! Lovely. I'll bet your babies grow up to do you proud.

Livermore, CA(Zone 9b)

Thank you KatyMac :) It just still seems bare after putting alot of plants in - but you are right, time does help.

My dh thought I was nutso (again with the sod removal!) lol

Vancouver, WA(Zone 8a)

Hi RTP,

Very nice! Yes, it's new, but seriously, I think you should just wait and watch until next spring and see how much it fills in. All the stuff I plant in fall seems to have an extra jump on growing the next year-like they bypassed "sleep" and skipped halfway into "creep". Besides, this first year is the one you're most likely to lose something over the winter. If you do lose anything, you'll have a different shape to fill, which may give you different options for adding the next batch of plants. Plus, you'll have a better idea what can survive best-parking strips are a tough environment.

170 bulbs isn't trivial to add, either.

Beautiful, BC(Zone 8b)

Very nice! Looks like you have one of the new Euphorbias in there - dark burgundy leaves. From experience, soil can wash or be tracked into the sidewalk so to reduce some of that - a flat or 2 of 4" groundcovers would help. Maybe Arctostaphylos or Thyme. You could also plant some sempervivums and variegated yucca in the River rock areas. Go for a walk on the beach and bring back a few logs that fit - get DH to lift them and he'll really think you're nutso. I know this sounds odd but a stump. I did a traffic barrier planting and went to the bush and got a large old stump and planted it with Arum italicum, Black Mondo Grass and a miniature hardy Fuchsia. It was quite a crowd pleaser. A few large rocks "planted" would help too.

Livermore, CA(Zone 9b)

Excellent Growin, and I happen to have several large rocks I have been dragging home from a nearby construction site. I was saving them for the front (a redo I have planned for the spring - my dh doesn't know yet lol) but I can easily get some more. I love the log idea, that sounds perfecto! - maybe two, the pictures don't show how long this area is. Thank you so much. (And yes I think I have 6? of the new euphorbia planted throughout, the color is yummy to me )

Susybell, I don't know how you did it, but you hit the nail on the head - always my mistake is because I rush. You are so right, by summer I'll see a change. Repeat to myself: Patience , patience patience!

Moscow, ID(Zone 5a)

The juvenile garden is always hard to stop planting. Your eye wants to fill it in, so the suggestion of hardy/tough groundcover is a solution.
Are you tring to stick with a particular colour scheme? Evergreen or perennial or...?
What about height? Are there covenants in your neighborhood that would be restrictive?

Off the top of my head:
Geranium renardii (grey-leaves & texture for contrast, white flowers with lavender striping); Lithodora - tiny leaved brilliant blue flowers; some of the very "blue" fescues;
Halimiocistus - if you can find it ( I have a white one - common is yellow);
Carex - hmmm, I think it's called cinnamon (?);
Sedums;
Echinaceas - the shorter ones;
Berberis - there is a short evergreen one w/ orange flowers;
Penstemon menziesii;
Armeria;
Hebe;
Campanula carpatica & I'll have to think more.

Livermore, CA(Zone 9b)

ooooh Kayte nice (you have hit some of my favs, btw) I have several hebe's in already, I just love those leaves! and sedums as well (they are just small). Lithodora I adore, and don't have, as well as echinaceas (I have them in the backyard, need them in front) Berberis, a short evergreen? that sounds fantastic, I will try to find that for sure.

I am not sticking to evergreen or perennial, I like to mix (I'm ok with making mistakes, unfortunately that seems to be the way I learn everything :( ) I'm really trying to hit the 4 season interest,. Our house sits at the top of a hill, and we are exposed in the front and side, I don't want a complete blockout, but I think some height would look nice. We already have 3 flowering pear trees (about 18') and a sugar maple (15') so I did fill in with some trees that don't grow as tall - 4 crape myrtle tuscarora (which are just blooming-so pretty) and hopefully they will make it thru their first winter.

and some narrow-growing evergreen (I can't think of the name) that are blue-green ? I love the flowers you suggested, I think that is what I really need to 'finish' this off. Thank you so much - I'll spend the day looking up a white Halimiocistus !

South Puget Sound, WA(Zone 8a)

Wow - that will really be stunning! It looks great now, and I have to say I echo the suggestion made by Growin' regarding the stump and a couple of larger rocks here and there. I don't know why it is, but every time I am "stumped" in an area of the garden, putting in natural elements like driftwood a stump or rocks always seems to cure the temptation to add more plant material. It always just seems more grounded after adding the rocks, logs, etc.

If you have a more formal garden, this obviously doesn't work, but as long as one doesn't break bones or strain limbs dragging things through the yard, it's good fun (and exercise too). This is my wooden sea serpent....

Thumbnail by galega
Livermore, CA(Zone 9b)

FANTASTIC Galega! That looks so great , I am quite nutty about rocks, but really like the wood being brought in as well. As long as I find something heavy enough that my kids won't keep moving around - lol they are quiet helpful putting the river rocks in interesting displays. Thanks for sharing your picture, I love looking at what people have done -

Moscow, ID(Zone 5a)

RTP - got it! I understand what you've said - this is how I like to plant, too: always something to piques one's interest. Also - it's nice to have something in bloom for the Bees.
One suggestion I forgot is Sarcacocca Humilis. (spelling?)
It is evergreen, flowers EARLY & smells fabulous. I love the stuff: but - it won't like afternoon sun. If you have a spot that would be shaded in the afternoon, avail yourself of this plant. It spreads slowly, is well-mannered & maintenace free. There is a taller one S. ruscifolia, I think. Same conditions apply.

Livermore, CA(Zone 9b)

sounds lovely... well the front portion of the strip will get sun until 3 in the afternoon, then the house will shade it - so I could try it in the front, perhaps by something that will give it a little more shade. I'll look that up, too - I had fun today looking up your other suggestions!

Gotta helps kids with their homework !

Woodinville, WA(Zone 8b)

Galega, beautiful! I have the sarcococca ruscifolia and it's wonderful. I think mine may not be getting enough sun, however. It's on the northeastern side of the house.

But it's evergreen and I love that. Tootsie, a grouping of these would look lovely.

Livermore, CA(Zone 9b)

Ok, I just placed a small order with Big Dipper Farm

I got a few Campanula carpatica 'White Clips', Sarcococca hookeriana v. humilis, Lithodora d. 'Star', and Arbutus unedo 'Oktoberfest' or Strawberry Tree ( I am a sucker for that red peeling bark, plus the gorgeous fruit orbs in late Fall)

Thanks so much for all your suggestions, with this plus the bulbs AND wood/big rocks - I think I will have a nice show next spring/summer.

South Puget Sound, WA(Zone 8a)

Oooh I'm envious! Be sure to post photos with all of those great additions - it will be beautiful.

Woodinville, WA(Zone 8b)

Tootsiepop: Sounds very nice. I love those small trees with texture in their bark. Hmmm, don't have a Strawberry Tree. Might have to put it on my list (which gets longer and longer . . .)

Livermore, CA(Zone 9b)

thank-you I'll be sure to post next year, I really love looking at those before / after pics of everyone's gardens. Katie, I had a strawberry tree here before, it did well for about 3 years (so fantastic, gorgeous in the winter) but I think it got too much shade as the trees to the South of it grew increasingly large. So, I am hoping this will like the full sun, dry soil of the parking strip.

Did you all get a crazy hail storm today, it was coming down like MAD about an hour ago. Now, its sunny again - thank goodness!

St. Louis County, MO(Zone 5a)

Be careful of rocks and stumps on the part of your garden that is in the public right of way. A friend was sued because someone fell over a big rock she had placed. Didn't matter that the person was drunk, she still had to pay damages and medical bills.

Livermore, CA(Zone 9b)

OH - good to know Cathy, we don't have alot of drunks stumbling around, but you never know. Jeez, If I fell over a rock - stone sober or tipsy, I would never expect someone else to pay for it, - how ridiculous!

Woodinville, WA(Zone 8b)

TP: I will remember that. I have lots of shade and then, the typical NW climate: dry clay in the summer and wet clay in the winter. I'm saving my "sunny" spots for my "special" plants.

Cathy: Your poor friend!! Unbelievable that someone who probably availed him or herself of your friend's refreshments to get in that condition in the first place would expect her to be responsible for his/her behavior. For what it's worth . . . I find that ridiculous. And that she would actually be held accountable for the bills. That's enough to put you off entertaining for awhile. Maybe we should have our "friends" sign releases before we let them in.

Got a couple of hours outside today - trying to prioritize. It got the dogs tired, so that's good. And then the shower sent us inside. Well, me. They could care less if it's raining, bless their little hearts. I guess we're supposed to have thunderstorms tonight and more wind. Very Un-PNW of it, that's for sure. At least it's not too cold - I was wearing shorts (thanks to the physical labor and my middle-aged internal thermostat). LOL

Livermore, CA(Zone 9b)

thanks for the link,- it is such a gorgeous plant all year round... the bloom and red fruits together in the winter - plus the red bark. Luscious! It's worth a spot in the sun - the birds go crazy for the fruit.

lol - my middle-aged thermostat keeps me warm, too. What were you working on?

(Zone 7a)

That was a neat read about the Strawberry Tree. I like the line in there about a weed just being a plant in the wrong place.

Woodinville, WA(Zone 8b)

TootsiePop - I was finishing out the edges of a bed: taking out some more sod at the edges, planting a couple things, using the mattock to get out some more of the native ranunculus that had re-established itself in the last couple months. And then I was pruning the volunteer tanacetum that was hiding my stonecrop. They are all laying down now. I still need to dig out the established ones and just have the new babies next spring.

Wanted to work around the edges of the shed, but didn't get that far . . . I have a ninebark still in a pot that has taken root. I need to dig it out and then put it in the spot I've [finally] decided on. And then . . . .

Beautiful, BC(Zone 8b)

I really like the Strawberry Tree too - there's a dwarf form. Only problem is that it drops its fruit on the sidewalk which would be a bit of cleaning. There's a groundcover Ceanothus which would be worth looking at and ground Orchid would probably do well.

Thumbnail by growin
Woodinville, WA(Zone 8b)

I love ceanothus. I've killed a couple already. They seem to need a little more protection (or less water) in winter than I have. Is that a picture of a ground orchid? Nice!!

Livermore, CA(Zone 9b)

beautiful orchid - wow! ** The strawberries are messy, but I love it so much I can handle the mess.... the birds will help :)

Katie, you are so right - I just finished mowing and weeding, clean up and planting some crinums and tulips. lol at loving and killing the ceanothus, I haven't tried that, will have a look. Ty Growin!

Woodinville, WA(Zone 8b)

Hey, RTP. What's a crinum?

Livermore, CA(Zone 9b)

lol - I'm a little slow today - I have ceanothus gloriosus in one of the back flower beds, growing over clematis feet. The blue flowers are fantastic in May/June. It still looks nice now, but one year got really brown/black in the center, I cut it back (thinking it was a goner) but it came back nicely. This would work in the front, I hope I'm not the only one who forgets what she planted!

Livermore, CA(Zone 9b)

here's some pictures, they are like lily (and to me look like amaryllis) they come in a wide variety

Livermore, CA(Zone 9b)

of shapes and colors. They grow well and I am told I must plant them immediately! They can be spendy, I've been bidding on ebay and got lucky and got a few.

Livermore, CA(Zone 9b)

here's the one I really want, but keep getting outbid (I have my limits!)

Moscow, ID(Zone 5a)

Ceanothus normally do quite well here if they are planted in an area with good drainage. They do not need supplemental water - just get them through their first year.
They can be grown as an evergreen hedge - they respond to pruning, but I don't know how well they'd like being pruned hard. Most of them get very big, but there are the shorter varieties which tend to grow low & wide.
C. 'Julia Phelps' - she's a biggun', and the buds have a very nice rosy contrast to the opened flowers:

Thumbnail by Katye
Livermore, CA(Zone 9b)

I have gloriosa, the groundcover - maybe thats why I got lucky with the haircut ???

Yours are gorgeeeee us!

Woodinville, WA(Zone 8b)

RTP, the crinum are so striking. How beatiful. Do you bring them in the winter or can they overwinter where they are?

Katye, your ceanothus looks fantastic. It needs quite a bit of sun, too, doesn't it?

Westbrook, CT(Zone 6a)

I'm not in the NW, but happened to run across this post accidentally.

I got tired of trying to grow grass in the strip of land between the sidewalk and the street (the contractor had dumped a lot of poor soil containing stone and building detritus there) and put in test strips of (1) daylilies (2) thyme and (3) heath/heather. All are doing well in spite of the terrible soil, so I think I'll put in some more. By selecting different varieties of heath/heather, you can have something blooming almost all year. I presume all of these would grow in your area.

This message was edited Oct 5, 2007 2:02 PM

Beautiful, BC(Zone 8b)

Thanks Don, I've seen some very nice road meridians with Lavender and thyme. They like the poor soil and dry conditions but keep within size.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.