Put in wrong thread I am now in the right one

( Kim) Zion, IL(Zone 5a)

I just got a plant yesterday and have no idea what it is I just loved the colors on this I was thinking it might be a philodendrom family what do you think. Will send next the pictures
Kim

( Kim) Zion, IL(Zone 5a)

picture 1

Thumbnail by Dimmer
( Kim) Zion, IL(Zone 5a)

picture2

Thumbnail by Dimmer
(Zone 1)

Pretty! Looks like Stromanthe:http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/59470/

(Zone 1)

I'm having trouble pasting links again! Let me try once more:

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/59470/

(Zone 1)

Oh, here's another one that looks similar:

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/82774/

(GayLynn) Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

I think it's the one in the first link. I have one also. You can not kill this plant. I had all but forgotten it and didn't water it except for maybe once a month and it still lives on. Had it a room that didn't get much light either. It would probably be really pretty if I took care of it!

( Kim) Zion, IL(Zone 5a)

The first one looks like it? And I thought it was somthing else how do you even go and look for this plant do you describe it ? In plant files

(Zone 1)

I just knew it was a stromanthe because I see them for sale down here a lot. So I went to PF and typed in stromanthe in the area for common name and it came up with what's in Plant Files:

Phelan, CA(Zone 8b)

I just saw a couple of these in my local HD the other day. The ONLY thing that kept me from snatching one up was I heard they need a shocking amount of humidity to stay happy. I wanted that sucker sooooooooooo bad! Aren't they the most gorgeous colors you ever saw? After seeing your picture, I want to go back and get one! But I know there's no doubt they'll be gone now. What do you mean, Staceysmom, that you can't kill it? I keep reading in all my houseplant books that its extremely fussy. In fact, that all stroms are that way. Now I'm really sorry I didn't get one after all! Waaaaaaaaaa!!!!

Randi

SW, WI(Zone 4b)

staceysmom....you can't kill it????? (Ü)

Then why have I killed 2 (or was that 3)?

I love the foliage of this plant....but it don't like me:(

(Zone 1)

We have tons of humidity down here and I was given a very small one in trade about 6 or 7 months ago ... it looks pitiful, I probably should plant it in the ground and maybe it would have a better chance of survival.

( Kim) Zion, IL(Zone 5a)

You no as far as Humidity goes wouldn't U get a dish on the bottom of the plant put some gravel in and put the plant on top than when the water comes out and goes into the dish the water evapoate( bad speller) and there is the humidity. what do you think of that do you think it will work?
Kim

(Zone 1)

That sure would help with raising the humidity!

(GayLynn) Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

I have really neglected mine and it is doing well. Now that I know it is a fussy plant and a hard plant to keep alive it will probably croak! LOL.
Gay

SW, WI(Zone 4b)

lol....no, Gay......do *not* let that happen....I don't want to be known as the one who jinxed yours!

I tried a humidity tray...also tried having it near the humidifier, and it croaked anyway....I don't think humidity was as big an issue as the reference books make it out to be....I think it was a water/light issue more than anything.
Maybe I just didn't have the right 'micro-climate' for this one?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.