Easy to identify, but not for me...

Hulbert, OK(Zone 7a)

Greetings, all!

Yesterday this plant begged me to rescue it from a sale, so
you guessed it, no name tag.

Could anyone please send me in the right direction of a name?
Even a close guess would be helpful.

Many thanks!

Thumbnail by WUVIE
Hulbert, OK(Zone 7a)

What I found interesting about this plant was that
it was crying this morning. LOL.

It was not watered last night, but this morning it was
'sweating' or 'dripping' drops from the tips of some of
the leaves. Very cute, but I have no idea what it is or
why it cries.

Many thanks for your help.

Karen Marie

Thumbnail by WUVIE
Lawrenceville, GA(Zone 7b)

Looks like my Pothos (Devil's Ivy). My neighbor was about to throw this one in the trash and she saw me out digging in the yard and brought it over. I have shared it many times and it is still growing strong.
Good for you, rescuing that plant! :)

Susan

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

The "crying" is called guttation, there are several plants that will do that. (I'm sure if you check Gardenology or do a google search you can find more info on what causes it, I just know the name!)

Hulbert, OK(Zone 7a)

Guttation? Well, now there's a 'word of the day' for you. LOL.

Many thanks, both of you!

(Zone 1)

Looks like you have the Heart Leaf Philodendron there Wuvie! Here's the link to Plant Files for you to read about it: http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/736/

And, someone awhile back was talking about the Guttation of plants. I googled and found this info:

http://www.plant-care.com/crying-plants.html

(Zone 1)

Here's the link for Pothos or Devil's Ivy so you can compare and see for certain which one you've got. http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/51451/

Hmmm... mine was tagged Pothos, maybe they got the tags mixed up. It always happens to me. I bought a lavendar lantana that blooms yellow LOL!!!!

Susan

Thanks Plantlady!! It's definately a philadendron :)

Hulbert, OK(Zone 7a)

Thanks, Plantladylin! I was just visiting the Wikipedia mention of guttation.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guttation

Slightly off topic, but the guttation often leaves a dry look on the
leaves. Thinking back, it seems my mother used to put mayonaisse
on her houseplants to make the leaves look better. Is this still a suggested
practice, or is there a better way to make leaves shine other than purchasing
a spray?

Many thanks!

(skipping off to label my newfound treasure)

Hulbert, OK(Zone 7a)

I have several ivy, but this one has neat tips. They start out
very pointy. At each new intersection, a small pinkish leaf grows,
then eventually dies when the rooted joint puts out a new leaf, which
is the pointy thing I mentioned.

;-)

Wuvie, you are awesome!!!!! :) I could not remember what my mom used on her plants to make the leaves shiny! Sign of aging! LOL Someone told me unscented lotion, not sure they even make that any more. My mil had some corn plants (dracena) and she asked me what to use on the leaves, now she will think I'm nuts telling her to use mayo LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Harrisburg, PA(Zone 6a)

How about putting nothing on the leaves to make them more shiny! Plants used leaves to breathe. Clogging their pores is not a way to keep them healthy. Plus it will attract unwanted 'creatures'. Just my two cents!

8)
Larry

(Zone 1)

Oh, I've never heard of shining leaves with Mayonnaise! I don't think I want to try that method though ... I'd be afraid of attracting bugs if there were any residue left on a plant! And believe me, it doesn't take much to attract bugs down here in Florida! I sure don't want bugs on my plants or in the house!

I don't shine leaves ... have waaaaay too many plants to be able to do that. I've never felt comfortable with that leaf spray that is sold at some garden centers. To me the best way to wash a plant is to take it outside and hose it off ... does good once in awhile, like a little rain shower. I drag plants out whenever it rains so they can get watered and washed clean! Some folks stick theirs in the kitchen sink to rinse the leaves every once in awhile. It helps to get any dust off ... they breathe easier!

Here's a Heart Leaf Philo I've had for about 5 years. It is actually attaching itself to the brick.

Thumbnail by plantladylin

Beautiful!!!!! Mine isn't that big yet. I will have to bring it in when it gets cold. Can you tell me what the plant is hanging at the top right of your pic?

(Zone 1)

That's a Lipstick Plant called 'Rasta'. Here's a full pic:

(Zone 1)

A closeup of the blooms:

Hulbert, OK(Zone 7a)

LOL, folks, I know plants have to breathe, I just wondered if
there was something natural I could use to get rid of the chalky
residue from guttation. I wasn't advocating the use of mayo.

;-)

Plantlady, nice plant you have there!

KM

(Zone 1)

Wuvie: Are you sure the chalky residue is from guttation? I have seen a lot of plants that look chalky but it's from hard water or some of the chemicals in water or fertilizers.

Thanks, I have a lot of plants ... never met a plant I didn't like! Oh wait ... that's not true .... I don't like thorny plants!

Hulbert, OK(Zone 7a)

Hello Plantlady,

I'm not positive, but it is only on certain leaves that are positioned
just so in a way that dripping occurs on those large leaves.
We have hoards of plants, but only the well behaved get to live on top
of the file cabinet in the office, so I just wanted to clean this new one up.

Everyone else lives in the little greenhouse room and gets a mist quite
often. :-)

(Zone 1)

You might try using a wet sponge with just a little mild (ivory, dove) dish detergent. I have done that before and it doesn't seem to harm the plants. Just rinse the leaves well aftewards so that soap residue isn't left on the leaves to block the pores.

Hulbert, OK(Zone 7a)

Thanks, lady, will give it a try.

:-)

(Zone 1)

You are very welcome!

Now ... I've gotta get off this computer and go mow the lawn!

SW, WI(Zone 4b)

I've often used baby wipes to clean plant leaves....they work well and don't harm the plants.
Lemon juice is another alternative....orchid growers use lemon juice to clean leaves all the time.

I don't use leaf shines either, but many of the larger leaved plants do get dusty leaves and need to be cleaned occasionally.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.