Containing Black Bamboo

Littleton, CO(Zone 5a)

I found these at my garden center today on sale and picked up a 12' 5 gallon one for about $60. I wanted to use it in one of my patio part sun beds to add some interest and texture to the bed. Before planting it, I checked here to see about any special considerations and noticed that folks down in Texas don't have very many nice things to say about its playful nature. (I hope you catch that I'm just trying to be funny here.) After reading the comments, I have questions about how I should proceed.

First of all, I'd like to somewhat contain this plant if possible. It already going into a raised bed bordered in stone, but I really would prefer it didn't kick the other plants out of the bed. I had two ideas for this. One would be to place it in a 3ft diameter terracotta pot and bury the whole thing into the ground. (The bed is 3 foot by 18 foot) The other idea would be to get some flagstone slabs and insert them standing up into the ground about 3 feet and creating a "pen" for the bamboo (I've done this for some of my other beds). The second idea would allow me to give the bamboo more room to stretch out but would most likely leave escape routes between the wall and the stones.

So I'm wondering which option would be better and it sort of depends on the minimum amount of space this thing needs to stay happy and not get root-bound I guess. I would prefer not to use plastic liners (I've seen that option outlined in other posts) because of issues with Bentonite in these parts and the proximity of the bed to our patio.

Central Texas, TX(Zone 8b)

KTalia,

I hate to say it but the terracotta pot idea will fail, once the bamboo gets root bound it will crack the pot. Your second idea of creating a “pen” would certainly leave room for escapees as you mentioned. I’ve never heard of any one having issues w/ the poly liners, its basically the same material used for plastic nursery pots is my understanding.

If your still concerned about the health aspects of the poly liner. You could always root prune, which would be a labor-intensive task. Either way Black Bamboo is a lovely plant and I’m glad to see someone else enjoys it as much as I do.

Good Luck,
Dean_W

Littleton, CO(Zone 5a)

Great thanks for your help on this. Outside of some ornamental gifts I threw in ground here and there (yes, most of them have died), this is my first attempt at planting a large bed and I don't want to sink my boat on my first run out! I bought some of the plastic pond liner and I'll build a good size play pen for the bamboo in the bed.

One more thing, will any ground cover grow under the bamboo or will it just suck up all the water and smother anything I put around it?

I love the way the new bamboo decorates the interior from the window it will sit in front of (see attached picture). :)

Thumbnail by kTalia

Yes, I think it would be fine to compaion plant w/ bamboo. I have some Marigolds grwing under one of mine in a pot and are doing okay so far. I just wouldn't plant something your too attached to underneath, so if and when the bamboo becomes to thirsty/ hungry it might kill it.

Nice picture, its amazing how one planting can change the whole seen.

Dean_W

Great South Bay, Lon, NY(Zone 7a)

I'm not sure "plastic pond liner" is a sufficient barrier for a running Bamboo. Typically, the minimum recommended barrier material is 30 mil in thickness, and at the very least, two feet deep, preferably more.

There is an option for individual plants. DeepRoot is a manufacturer of root barrier and control systems. One of their products is a series of interlocking panels, which can be assembled into an integral 'pot' to bury in the ground for containment of Bamboo and other plants. You make it the size and shape you wish, by connecting the individual 80 mil panels together. For example, if you took four of their UB-36 panels and connected them together, you'd have a 2' square bottomless pot measuring 3' deep.

http://www.deeproot.com/template.php?sec=products&nav=treeRoot&content=rb_app&sub=2&lsel=1

Littleton, CO(Zone 5a)

Now that's an interesting thing to keep in mind... I was just thinking it might be nice to put a patch of the bamboo along my back fence as a screen. However, I didn't think my rear neighbor would be to happy with me. Maybe with this wall material I still could if I felt like doing A LOT of digging. :)

Anyway, should this one get vigorous enough to try and escape the liner, it would soon meet with a 4" thick 4' deep retaining wall. And the only place to go after that is the 18' patio, so I guess I have a pretty failsafe back up plan. I just didn't really want the entire bed to eventually become bamboo, but it wouldn't frustrate me enough to get rid of it. My husband and I have pretty much fallen in love with it already.

Thanks for that info, I can think of a few places that may come in handy in the future.

Here's the bamboo all tucked into the new bed. We gave it about 5 feet of the bed.

Thumbnail by kTalia
Muskegon, MI(Zone 5a)

Im not sure how many years ago I got my black bamboo as a trade so I dont know the proper name..Im in zone 5 but we are actually in zone 6/7 since Im surrounded by Lake Michigan and Muskegon Lake...can I leave my bamboo outside for the winter?..Ive brought it into my breezeway every year since I dont want to lose it...its in quite a big pot now but this year I saw the roots circle the pot and come up the side and start another so called clump...any thoughts ?...Judy

Phyllostachys nigra

Muskegon, MI(Zone 5a)

Thats what I think it is and Ive read its hardy to zone 7 so thats why I bring it in every year..I love it so much that I dont want to lose it...Judy

Judy,

Good luck, I'm not sure how hardy it is. Take a look around different websites .

Dean

Littleton, CO(Zone 5a)

I just got this one from a nursery here where I live (z5) and put it outside. If you wait a year, I can tell you. I planted it outside because one of the nursery workers said theirs is planted in their pond and dies back to ground every year but grows new growth each year.

Olympia, WA

Yikes - that sounds "close" - that business about dying to the ground each year. Given that the roots are just under the surface, it could be a near death experience each year.

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

I've looked at these pictures and don't know why it's called BLACK bamboo....doesn't look black to me! Anyone know the origin of the name?

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

Newer shoots aren't black, but they turn black over time. Here's a pic from Plant Files that shows the color well http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/178447/

Abingdon, MD(Zone 7a)

Black Bamboo (Phyllostachys nigra)

Produces green shoots that turn black primarily due to time and sunlight. Some subspecies appear to go "black" quicker but I'm not convinced yet (I am testing 8? of the "Early Black" varieties in my garden) with only one fairly promising "quick black" plant that I am now propagating.

That said...

I've been growing Black Bamboo for about 10? years now in Maryland. It is generally thought to be hardy to at least 0' (zero) degrees but my grove is very green and vibrant all year long, even in bitter cold. As an example, I have a somewhat "rare" Fargesia'Jiuzhaigou' (Red Fountain Bamboo from the Sichuan Province of China rated to -20 degrees planted next to my Black bamboo.

Tonight (as I type this) it is 29 degrees outside and the "Red" Jiuzhaigoui is curled and looking deathly - It curls to survive the cold spells) while the "Black" bamboo is beautifully green, vibrant and appears to be incredibly healthy.

Last week it was around 17 degrees with a -10 or so windchill and the Black was looking great. My Black has been through a number of single digit days with minimal harm. (Though ground temps are always much warmer than air).

Part of this might also be that I use "Natures Mulch" (Fallen leaves) ..where I've learned to leave them in place until Spring (as Mother Nature intended) instead of removing this free natural protective blanket from my plants.

Even the grass on my lawn loves the extra Winter protection and responds like a champion in the Spring. Something I was always told was a "bad thing" for grass to be covered. I've also noticed that ferns and other perrenials just love it.

My wife thinks I hate raking, but the plants are proving her wrong!

(Though I do hate raking leaves)

; )

Ray

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

Ray, do you have a photo of the red fountain bamboo? I'd love to see it!

And...just HOW soon do the canes take to turn black with your "quick" type? Months? Years?

Abingdon, MD(Zone 7a)

Connie,

I'll have to dig on the computer (or go outside tommorow and freeze ; ) but will post one for you! (Picture of the Red Fountain Bamboo)

Actually, I was looking at it today while chasing my dog around the yard and thought about (but didn't act on the thought ; ) of taking a picture of those nice red stalks!

This is one of those rare, expensive plants that I've agonized over for years (and dug up a few times in a midwinter freeze "panic"...only to eventually learn that (unlike the rest of my Fargesia clumping bamboo's) was just protecting itself by acting dead in the cold! ; )

Give me a day or so for pictures....?

Per the "Early Black" P. nigra...I bought about 12 varieties of what people were selling under this name, including a variety from a local guy that has huge bamboo groves of many dozens of varieties....Long story short... I'm down to about 8? and the "best" so far, emerges nearly (60-80%) black and turns around 95%+ black within 30-60 days. Some culms emerge black right from the ground regardless of size (I'll get some pics of those too). From what I understand, It acts much more like a tropical Black Bamboo?...B lako? than typical but I can't grow them here.

Compared to all the rest of the nigra that I've grown over the years, it's a fairly substantial difference as most take close to a year (or more) to get the same coloration.

Still a work in progress for me...We'll see what this summer brings!

Ray

Abingdon, MD(Zone 7a)

Connie,

Here's a picture of the F. jiuzhaigou (Red Fountain Bamboo) that you asked about.

I tried to get close but my digital camera isn't very good at closeups!

Ray

Thumbnail by RaytheGardener
Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

Oh wow...I do love that! Does this one grow as fast as the black? Or, perhaps I should say do the canes get as large?

And...if I"m wanting to place this as an "understory" growth, would it grow? Sun requirements?

Abingdon, MD(Zone 7a)

I should have rotated the picture before I posted!

Anyway...per your questions:

1. It is a clumping bamboo (Fargesia) and therefore it grows very slowly. The Black (P. nigra) is a runner and somewhat fast grower.

2. The size is considerably smaller too, its a relatively "thin" culmed bamboo. I believe the maximum for this one is about 3/4 of an inch.

3. Understory growth would be perfect for it. From what I have read and tried to emulate, it does best in partial shade with morning sun. Mine is in partial shade with morning and evening sun almost all year except for the winter where it gets midday sun as well. That might be why it always looks a bit more "distressed" in the Winter.

My plan is to let it continue to grow where it is, and have the Black bamboo (currently about 20' behind it) expand up towards it for a nice compliment and contrast. It would appreciate the shade especially in the Winter, and the whole Red/Black bamboo contrast is something I am looking forward to.

Ray

Connie,

A Fargesia won't do well in Austin. It gets to hot.

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

Thanks for the info, Raythe! I was gettin' all excited...and then read about your Northern "morning" sun (which is like our winter?) and said, "Aw...it probably won't work in the boiling-sun south"...and then happened to see Dean's comment. Okay...I'll just admire yours, Raythe!! It's fun to look! :-)

Abingdon, MD(Zone 7a)

Dean is probably right...it will most likely be a significant challenge. ( I forgot you were in Texas).

Then again, I'm a "contrarian" gardener (i.e: I grow things that most people say won't grow in my area and try to cultivate those plants that most others avoid...it's my nature...I like unique varieties).

Personally, I'd give it a try if you:

A. Like a challenge or like this bamboo plant a lot. (if you like a challenge/like the plant, I'll send you some for free in a few months after it starts shooting). It seems like the Sun is more the "issue" than the heat from my observations. Just let me know if it adapts or not.

B: Are nearly as crazy as I am ; )

http://www.bamboogarden.com/Fargesia%20sp.%20Jiuzhaigou.htm

Bamboo Gardens gives it a : USDA zone 5 through 9, "not for climates with high heat and humidity" (southeastern states).

So....Certainly you'll be stretching the limits...but that's not always a bad thing! Let me know if you decide to give it a try!

Ray

I would probally have it if I could get it to grow here. I'm just north of Austin.

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

Ray, I'm on a lake and so do have a bit of a microclimate here. Hmmm...Dean...do you really think we can't grow it? I know other bamboos are here and growing like crazy...

Yes, as far as I know it wont grow here. I've looked into it before.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.