A Plant Files Challenge!

Berkeley, CA(Zone 9b)

I'm finding that the Plant Files often don't have pictures of fruit cultivars except for the best-known. I challenge us all to take a look at the Plant Files listings for the cultivars we grow. If there isn't a picture there, take one and upload it. Pictures of ripe fruit are the most helpful for identification purposes but it's also good to take pictures of the blossoms, developing fruit, growth habit of the tree, and the leaves.

I'm trying to narrow down what cultivar the peach in my yard is and find that some cling peach cultivars aren't listed and some that are listed have no pictures.

I promise I'll upload pictures of any named cultivars I have bought that I can vouch for for sure. (Here's a picture of the peaches I'm trying to identify, which are still in their harvest period now. Unfortunately, the tree has peach leaf curl. Not sure if that's what's infected the fruit as well or whether that's a separate brown rot infestation. They're cling peaches, very firm, orange in color with red blush being awfully rare.)

Thumbnail by spidra
Berkeley, CA(Zone 9b)

Here's an example of what I'm talking about: There were no pictures for the Newtown Pippin cultivar of apple. Newtown Pippin isn't all that rare! I uploaded some pictures from mine last night. I hope folks will take up the challenge and make sure that any fruits and nuts varities you're growing in your garden that do not have pictures in the Plant Files will soon have a picture from YOU.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.