Anyone with 9/20 blooms?

Jacksonville, FL(Zone 9a)

Awesome agave Kell, I am trying to not open Tony's website and buy one for myself. I can't believe I am going to miss going there next month. Why aren't there more days in a month right now.......

BTW, Kell, I just killed my second Phormium so it is not you, I think the gods are protecting the plant. LOL

San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

Alice, about your ti question. I was shocked when mine lived over our terribly cold winter this last year. It took a while for them to grow back though. I have lost lots though over the years in winter. I now never buy any but those sold at HD. They are $11 for 3 to a 3 gallon pot and big and PINK! I used to buy outrageous ones from Hawaii but they would croak.

My phormiums are doing great this year. They like full sun I have discovered and want to be watered regularly. I used to keep them too dry. Mine are flourishing and the only bug they seem to get is mealy bugs. None this year, knock on wood. I have them in pots all over my yard. I am afraid to plant them in the ground for they get just HUGE with little encouragement!!!

I just ran out and took a picture of this one, I have 2 of these in big urns. Look it is raining out!! First time since last winter.

Thumbnail by Kell
San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

PS what a mother sacrifices for her brood!! I would so love to go to Plants Delight!

My bromeliad flowers are opening. I just love how rain washes all the plants. No amount of water from a hose does the same thing.

Thumbnail by Kell

Oh, that is a beauty Kell, you must live in the perfect spot for them. Funny about your Hawaiian Ti, mine from Carol love it here. Go figure.

Beautiful PINK hibiscus in front of that PINK Phormium.

San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

Mine from Carol all died a fast death. I wonder if they just can't get used to the low humidity here. I do much better with those born and bred here. I love them for my combo pots. Are you very humid where you are?

Thumbnail by Kell

Oh Yeah, there are times during the summer when the humidity is above 90%. Today it is a very comfortable 72%.

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

Kell--I don't know if it would work for your Ti's, but anytime I order stuff from the tropical nurseries in FL, I always mist the plants twice a day for the first week I have them, then once a day for the next week or two, and then back off on the frequency after that until they're not getting any misting. Some plants just need lots of humidity and those are never happy, but if the ones you get around here are fine, I think maybe the ones that came in from the tropics just need to be weaned off the humidity!

San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

Oh too sticky for me Alice. I am too fat! Though my plants would sure like some here. Here right now it is 90% but it is raining. And the temp is 52. Very comfortable too. It doesn't feel humid though. Liz is it raining where you are? I love it even though it canceled the farmer's market this AM.

I think you are probably right Liz but though I have the best intentions, my misting lasts 2 or 3 days before I say live or die it is up to you. However I do bag some that I am particularly fond of. Here is
Alocasia micholitziana 'Green Velvet Variegated' I bought from Asiatica online at least 2 years ago for $60 for a tiny plant. That sucker kept almost dying on me. I finally bagged it when it lost its last leaf and put it on my seedling rack and it is so happy. I was thinking last week I need to find a bigger clear big plastic bag for it. Have you seen any clear garbage bags anywhere for sale, Liz? I keep looking for I so need one. It has been in this bag for months and months. I have never even opened the bag to water it in all those months. I see a leaf yellowing in there so I think I will open it. I am just afraid I won't be able to close it again because it is now way too big for that bag it is in. I know if I post this pic the plant abuse police will be knocking on my door.

Thumbnail by Kell
Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

It was raining here, looks like it's stopped right now but it's still cloudy, so I think it'll be on and off for a while. I haven't seen clear trash bags anywhere, but I've never looked for them either! I think Ziploc makes really big zipper bags for storage and things, maybe you could try those if you can't find clear trash bags.

KNOCK< KNOCK< KNOCK LOL

Kell, Have you ever seen those misters they have around doors to restaurants and stores in the southwest? I have seen them in Big Lots, they sell them around here to install on your deck or something to cool the area off.

San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH you are so smart!!! I use the sandwich bags to bag my seedling clivia all the time. I even bought some just the other day and saw HUGE ones, 4 to a box for clothes I think. And it never crossed my little mind. THANK YOU! My poor plant will be able to stretch! THANKS again.

San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

A few nurseries have those misters, Alice. I am convinced they harbor fungus in them that you should not breath! But I should look into them esp for my begonias. I have so many of them and they sure would love more moisture in their air. If I could put them on a timer it would help. Since it doesn't get hot here, I always have to be careful of rot though.

You are so smart too!

Would you please tell Phil that? LOL

You are probably right about the fungus (and that is a huge problem in this climate) but I bet there is a way to clorox them so it is safe.

San Bernardino, CA(Zone 8b)

I never thought about them having fungus, but I guess it makes sense. We've got them all around our patio, and I'm always amazed how much cooler they make it when it's so super hot outside.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.