Found at Lowe's! Brazilian Fireworks!

Phelan, CA(Zone 8b)

I found this plant yesterday at Lowe's, labeled Brazilian Fireworks 'Maracas.' Had never seen one before, so of course I bought it! Cost me $11.89! Don't know if I would have bought it if I'd known beforehand what the price would be. Geez. . . . Anyway, I Googled it and could find very little info on it. Apparently its new - just came out this spring. I'm thrilled now that I got it as it sounds awesome. Mine is apparently mature. They stay compact! Here's a link I found. Anyone else have this plant?

http://www.parkseed.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/StoreCatalogDisplay?storeId=10101&catalogId=10101&langId=-1&mainPage=prod2working&ItemId=4657&cid=pext000787

Noblesville, IN(Zone 5a)

That looks like a very pretty plant to have indoors. Hope it does well for you.

San Bernardino, CA(Zone 8b)

Hi Seacho :-)

I purchased this several weeks ago at Louie's Nursery in Riverside and thought it was really unique and pretty. I've had it outside in the garden, where it gets about 60% shade and so far (cross your fingers) it's doing great. I hope it lives ;-) I got it for 7.99 in a 6" pot...

karen

Hi Seaecho,

This plant intrigued me. and I was wondering if it was related to the more common 'Shrimp' plant-so I did a Google search.

Here's a very interesting Article I found:
Porphyrocoma pohliana Maracas

I hope you enjoy it, and thanks for bringing this beauty to our attention!

Sasha
edited to say, "OOps!" I goofed, will try again.

This message was edited Aug 31, 2007 10:32 AM

http://msucares.com/news/print/sgnews/sg07/sg070215.html

There. I think this link will work. Sorry everyone for the mishap. :-)

Sasha

Phelan, CA(Zone 8b)

Sasha, I saw that article too, and thought it very interesting that its related to the shrimp plant. Karen, you're lucky to live "down the hill." Every time we drive down there, we see yards with Birds of Paradise, plumeria, and a LOT of plants we can't grow outside up here in the high desert. Makes me envious, but not of the smog!

Randi

San Bernardino, CA(Zone 8b)

Hi Randi,

You're right, the smog totally sucks. It's probably too hot here (and a tad too cold in the winter) to grow the tropicals I do, but I just love them. If I can't go to Hawaii, I'll bring Hawaii to me!

I don't know if you saw (or were interested in) my website on the California forum, but here's what I grow in my back yard (a lot of tropicals), just in case ;-) www.amarantha.phanfare.com

Have a great day!

karen

Harrisburg, PA(Zone 6a)

Karen, excellent pictures, really fantastic; thanks for sharing!

Larry

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.