Spider Plant Seed Pods

Nottingham, MD(Zone 7a)

I have several growing on the runners of my mother Chlorophytum Comosum Variegata. They all look to be green. If I wanted to harvest these, how would I go about doing it? Do I open the pod while it's still green or wait until it turns another color? Do I need to dry the seeds after I open the pod? How long? I want to plant the seeds to see if the plant will be all green. I've been wanting to have an all green spider plant for a while.

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

Never really put effort into this but I think I recall having found little black seeds under a spider once......I think I would watch them awhile. But you probably want more knowledgeable advice!!!

Hulbert, OK(Zone 7a)

Hello GrowHappy,

Bumping this one back up in hopes we can learn together. I've never
heard of seeds on a spider plant, so I've learned something new today.

:-)

(Zone 1)

I googled seedpods on spider plants and found this: Scroll all the way down to the bottom of her page and she tells about seed pods and seeds and propagating by seed:

http://goto.glocalnet.net/natal/amp/ampel.htm

Lilesville, NC(Zone 7b)

Wow, that is a interesting page...i just read up on spider plants...And here i thought i knew all there was to know about these plants....learn something new all the time...

Char

Hulbert, OK(Zone 7a)

Thanks, Plantladylin!

SW, WI(Zone 4b)

I've got a little variegated spider that sits in my bathroom windowsill that has began popping seeds recently, and I hadn't seen it before, either..

I checked out the plant, and the 'pods' seem to have become quite dry before the seeds fell out of them.

You can try that old trick of tying a piece of pantyhose around the seedpod to attempt to catch the seeds...good luck in your quest for an all green spidey!

They used to be so common, but now that you mention it, I haven't seen any recently, either!

Lilesville, NC(Zone 7b)

i think that i have a all green spidey. Actually now that i think about it i have 2 of them..did not think it was so rare....i will post a pic an you all tell me if this is what your talking about.

Char

Thumbnail by red_princess_71
Smyrna, DE(Zone 7a)

I have at least two varieties, but don't ask me the names! LOL One is all green, one is variegated. I have numerous babies and all of them would LOVE a home! Any takers? Mine have produced seed pods, but I haven't taken the time to try to grow them yet. When the weather warms up and I have more room in my window, I will. I love my spiders. They're so easy to care for and they don't ask for much in return!

(jax) Dundalk, MD(Zone 7a)

All of your plants are so pretty and healthy. May I ask, does the green grow faster/larger than the variegated? I would love to provide a new home for a couple!

Bucyrus, OH(Zone 6a)

A month ago I carried my variegated spider plant past a terrarium I've set up for some of my more delicate plants. It had bloomed (and gone to seed heavily) a few weeks earlier. A few seeds must have found their way into the terrarium. I now have volunteer spider plants growing in my terrarium.

It looks to me like you scatter them on moist soil, keep conditions warm and well-lit, and you end up with babies. The babies are not variegated, by the way.

-Joe

Smyrna, DE(Zone 7a)

Joe, this is great to know! I was wondering how to start the little buggers from seed. Thanks for your great information for all of us!

Kathy

Bucyrus, OH(Zone 6a)

You've quite welcome! The seeds sprout for me, indoors, in zone 6, by accident. They should probably sprout for just about anyone. Next year I'll save my seeds and offer 'em in here. :)

-Joe

Satsuma, AL(Zone 8b)

Hah! News to me as well.

However, I don't need to start them from seed....

David

Humansville, MO

is this the plant you talking about?
or what is it?

Thumbnail by ellesgh
Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

I'm not sure what yours is, but it's not what I would call spider plant (although common names are notoriously unreliable for identifying plants...too many completely unrelated plants out there that go by the same common names!) Here's the plant that I know as spider plant http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/adv_search.php?searcher%5Bcommon%5D=&searcher%5Bfamily%5D=&searcher%5Bgenus%5D=chlorophytum&searcher%5Bspecies%5D=comosum&searcher%5Bcultivar%5D=&searcher%5Bhybridizer%5D=&search_prefs%5Bblank_cultivar%5D=&search_prefs%5Bsort_by%5D=rating&images_prefs=both&Search=Search

Bucyrus, OH(Zone 6a)

The spider plants I have seen are members of this species, http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/68558/ , chlorophytum comosum. Yours looks pretty odd to me, ellesgh. It almost looks to me like a hoya, http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/adv_search.php?searcher%5Bcommon%5D=&searcher%5Bfamily%5D=&searcher%5Bgenus%5D=hoya&searcher%5Bspecies%5D=&searcher%5Bcultivar%5D=&searcher%5Bhybridizer%5D=&search_prefs%5Bblank_cultivar%5D=&search_prefs%5Bsort_by%5D=rating&images_prefs=with&Search=Search .

Someone else no doubt knows better than me. You might try posting your picture in the Plant Identification forum, http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/f/plantid/all/ .

-Joe

P.S. JINX ecrane3. :P

This message was edited Mar 7, 2008 5:33 PM

Deep East Texas, TX(Zone 8a)

Ellesgh ~ I believe your plant is a Callisia fragrans. It is a very pretty plant and will become huge. It will also have blooms which are fragrant. Does it look like this? http://davesgarden.com/community/journals/viewentry/111264/
It puts on babies like the spider plant does and its' common name is a "basket plant" though I am not sure why...

Humansville, MO

yes my look like that i got about 5 or 6 plant
they have baby
i planted some baby and they are come up good
will send picture soon
elle

Ellesgh ~ The babies will root easily either in soil or water. The plant will get huge tho... When mine bloomed, I didn't look for seed, just cut the bloom stalk off when it finished blooming.

Satsuma, AL(Zone 8b)

Yep, basket plant.

I got one on a garden tour last spring and have grown many pots full of plants from that one little pup. They go crazy; I can't even imagine what it would do in the ground over a summer. ::shudder::

David

David ~ did yours bloom? What'd you think of it....

Apologies to the Growhappy and the spider plant seed pods for the diversion.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.